Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

The pre-1958 US 66 Business Loop in San Bernardino

<< < (2/2)

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 14, 2022, 12:03:59 AM ---
--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 13, 2022, 11:53:19 PM ---Okay I found the I Street Overhead article in the Sep/Oct 1951 CHPW.  I would say pending other evidence it is likely that was origin of US 66 Business in San Bernardino.  The original ATSF crossing CA 18 used was on 3rd Street whereas the I Street Overhead was on 5th.  It would have been totally illogical for Business Route to have to double back over a second overhead on Mount Vernon to reach mainline US 66.

All the same the article doesn't spell it out clearly...back to the AASHTO database for the 1950 and 1951 files...

--- End quote ---
How well were business routes marked back then in CA?

--- End quote ---

Very well in this instance, check page 808 on the link below:

https://archive.org/details/californiahighwa195051calirich/page/n807/mode/1up?q=Bernardino&view=theater

Worth noting, the 1942 USGS Map for Lake Arrowhead shows US 66 Alt on LRN 191/Kendall Drive.  Thatís the earliest USGS image I can find showing the US 66 Alt/Business Route.  I suspect there might be an application hiding in a misc scan file in the AASHTO database.  The Los Angeles US 66 Alt application was hiding in the 1940 bulk scan file.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version