News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Part-time exits

Started by thspfc, June 16, 2022, 09:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

I-43's half-interchange with Rowe Rd north of Sheboygan is only open a few weekends a year, for golf tournaments at Whistling Straits (which I learned the hard way today).

Beeper1

What is now Exit 19W on the NJ Turnpike used to be a special event only exit for the Meadowlands Sports Complex.

Joe The Dragon

does japan still have some non 24 hour ETC only ramps from the toll roads?

jp the roadgeek

There are a couple of exits on the Cross Island Parkway that are only open for race days at Belmont Park (and now probably for events at UBS Arena). 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

TheHighwayMan3561

There was/is the Main St exit off I-35/70 in Kansas City that closed during afternoon rush.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

What about the ramp from the Balt-Wash Parkway to...NASA, I think it is?  Might be only open certain times of the day.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

froggie

Quote from: Rothman on June 17, 2022, 07:20:26 AM
What about the ramp from the Balt-Wash Parkway to...NASA, I think it is?  Might be only open certain times of the day.

IIRC, that one's 24/7.  But, as with the NSA exits off both the BW Pkwy and MD 32, it is "employees only".

kphoger

Aw, I thought I found one:  Key Gate @ Fort Sill from I-44 in Lawton, OK.  On the east side, the gate is only open during certain hours.  But, on the west side, it's 24/7.  So not quite.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

lepidopteran

When the exit on the DC Capital Beltway (I-495) for what's now FedEx Field first opened, it was available on game days only.  I think it was when a shopping center opened nearby that it switched to 24/7 access.

KCRoadFan

This isn't an exit per se, but rather a whole highway; nonetheless, this thread made me think of I-66 in the DC area, of which the section inside the Beltway is HOV-only (that is, no solo drivers allowed) during peak commute times of 7-9 AM and 4-6 PM or something like that. (At least, it was in 2005 when we last went down that particular road; I'm not sure if that's still true today. Can someone from Virginia/DC fill us in on this?)

AlexandriaVA

Also, a few exits up near Ft. Meade on the same road, B-W Parkway, there's a part-time commuting-only exit to NSA. (I wonder how many people have conflated the NSA and NASA exits...)

Relatedly, there's a part-time commuting-only exit for CIA on the GW Parkway (notably, this was the exit used in an early scene in "The Hunt for Red October", when Jack Ryan is going to CIA HQ).

froggie

Quote from: lepidopteran on June 17, 2022, 10:27:54 AM
When the exit on the DC Capital Beltway (I-495) for what's now FedEx Field first opened, it was available on game days only.  I think it was when a shopping center opened nearby that it switched to 24/7 access.

SHA was required to put in the C/D roads and auxiliary lanes between MD 214 and MD 202 before they could open up the FedEx interchange 24/7.

Quote from: KCRoadFan on June 17, 2022, 10:39:50 AM
This isn't an exit per se, but rather a whole highway; nonetheless, this thread made me think of I-66 in the DC area, of which the section inside the Beltway is HOV-only (that is, no solo drivers allowed) during peak commute times of 7-9 AM and 4-6 PM or something like that. (At least, it was in 2005 when we last went down that particular road; I'm not sure if that's still true today. Can someone from Virginia/DC fill us in on this?)

Solo drivers who were going to/from Dulles airport were still allowed.  These days it's Ho/T (High Occupancy/Toll), in that those with EZPass can use the road during peak times even if they're just one or two in the vehicle.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: thspfc on June 16, 2022, 09:32:44 PM
I-43's half-interchange with Rowe Rd north of Sheboygan is only open a few weekends a year, for golf tournaments at Whistling Straits (which I learned the hard way today).

I actually think it is only open for major championships. 

Mr. Matté

You can't let that go without the story behind it. At least checking GSV, there's a movable concrete barrier on I-43 itself, and cheaper barriers at the exit ramp itself. The only GSV from the local road itself shows no restrictions, but cops all over (I guess the exit was open for an event). Even the exit construction and eminient domain takings for utilizing public construction meant for rare private events led to some controversy.

thspfc

Quote from: Mr. Matté on June 17, 2022, 12:00:46 PM

You can't let that go without the story behind it. At least checking GSV, there's a movable concrete barrier on I-43 itself, and cheaper barriers at the exit ramp itself. The only GSV from the local road itself shows no restrictions, but cops all over (I guess the exit was open for an event). Even the exit construction and eminient domain takings for utilizing public construction meant for rare private events led to some controversy.
I made a quick excursion from Sheboygan to check out the course yesterday. Going north on I-43 I was planning to take that exit because Google Maps makes it look legit. But as I was passing it I saw the ramp hidden behind a concrete barrier :-D there's no signage ahead of the exit (not permanent signage anyway). Had to go up to CTH-XX and backtrack.

Going back to Sheboygan was worse. CTH-LS slows to 45 MPH a couple miles north of the city limit, then 35 soon after. Downed trees from Wednesday's storm meant detouring along Eisner Ave, 13th St, and North Ave in order to get to WI-42.

dlsterner

Quote from: froggie on June 17, 2022, 10:03:50 AM

IIRC, that one's 24/7.  But, as with the NSA exits off both the BW Pkwy and MD 32, it is "employees only".

If you mean the one just north of the MD 193 interchange, it has previously been "employees only", but for quite a few months now the ramps have been barricaded (with flexible bollards) so that interchange is now out of service.  To enter, employees now have to use the main entrance off of MD 193.

wriddle082

In Manchester, TN, there is a temporary gated access point to/from I-24 west leading to the Bonnaroo music festival grounds, which coincidentally is happening this very weekend.  TDOT calls this "Exit 112"  (or maybe it's 113) even though it has no permanent signage.  They open it up on the Thursday before the festival starts on Friday for ingress, and then open it up for egress on Sunday night once it's over.

rickmastfan67

Shows no restrictions?  Miss the gate that can be used to close the onramp? https://goo.gl/maps/sRMCSfHVfVAPvR676

roadman65

Quote from: Beeper1 on June 16, 2022, 11:26:59 PM
What is now Exit 19W on the NJ Turnpike used to be a special event only exit for the Meadowlands Sports Complex.

I was about to say that.

Anyway speaking of special events, on I-690 in Solvay, NY, though not an exit, but an at grade entrance to the freeway, signal heads are temporarily hung from a span wire during the NY State Fair. Other times the intersection is closed and making the interstate the freeway it's supposed to be with the span wire dangling over the roadway.

I heard though, through the grapevine, that the last few seasons has eliminated this part time entrance, but can't be sure if it's true or not.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MATraveler128

Quote from: roadman65 on June 18, 2022, 08:17:32 AM
I heard though, through the grapevine, that the last few seasons has eliminated this part time entrance, but can't be sure if it's true or not.

The at grade intersection on I-690 by the New York State Fairgrounds is gone. There's still the existing span wire with the old signal heads over the freeway. Here's GSV link.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0817654,-76.2225415,3a,75y,264.65h,85.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMP0WWA-JVsvR5RIpIGqsXw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

SEWIGuy

Quote from: thspfc on June 17, 2022, 12:18:52 PM

I made a quick excursion from Sheboygan to check out the course yesterday. Going north on I-43 I was planning to take that exit because Google Maps makes it look legit. But as I was passing it I saw the ramp hidden behind a concrete barrier :-D there's no signage ahead of the exit (not permanent signage anyway). Had to go up to CTH-XX and backtrack.

Going back to Sheboygan was worse. CTH-LS slows to 45 MPH a couple miles north of the city limit, then 35 soon after. Downed trees from Wednesday's storm meant detouring along Eisner Ave, 13th St, and North Ave in order to get to WI-42.

Last year during the Ryder Cup, there were temporary exit signs erected I-43 northbound.  But as I said, I only think they open it during major tournaments like the Ryder Cup, and since it is doubtful that Whistling Straights is ever going to host such tournaments in the future, I am not sure that exit will ever be in use again.

thspfc

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 18, 2022, 09:05:43 AM

Last year during the Ryder Cup, there were temporary exit signs erected I-43 northbound.  But as I said, I only think they open it during major tournaments like the Ryder Cup, and since it is doubtful that Whistling Straights is ever going to host such tournaments in the future, I am not sure that exit will ever be in use again.
Why is it doubtful?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: thspfc on June 18, 2022, 10:24:22 AM

Why is it doubtful?

With the PGA Championship moving to May, when it used to be held in August, I doubt the PGA is going to look to host it at a course on the shore of Lake Michigan that time of year.  Furthermore, I don't think the politics of the USGA and PGA will allow it to host a US Open anytime soon - if ever.  So my guess is that it will host more minor events like a US Senior Open, but that's about it. 

thspfc

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 18, 2022, 10:50:12 AM
Quote from: thspfc on June 18, 2022, 10:24:22 AM

Why is it doubtful?

With the PGA Championship moving to May, when it used to be held in August, I doubt the PGA is going to look to host it at a course on the shore of Lake Michigan that time of year.  Furthermore, I don't think the politics of the USGA and PGA will allow it to host a US Open anytime soon - if ever.  So my guess is that it will host more minor events like a US Senior Open, but that's about it.
Seems like a waste of one of the better courses in the country.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.