Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

I-480 Golden Gate Freeway

(1/2) > >>

Max Rockatansky:
While I was waiting on my flight tonight I did some digging online to see what interesting California Division of Highways documents I could find.  I think stumbling upon the 1965 technical report titled (Golden Gate Freeway Interstate Route 480) is worth sharing.  Numerous design alternatives are presented along with a ton of other information. 

https://archive.org/details/technicalreportg1965cali/page/n1/mode/1up?view=theater

Henry:
It is somewhat comforting that not all of it would've been built on a double-decker bridge, like the Embarcadero Freeway was; in fact, this part was to be depressed in a trench and maybe go through a tunnel. However, the waterfront area and surrounding neighborhoods would've been disrupted one way or another, which came as no surprise that the whole thing ended up being cancelled. Still, it would've made a nice freeway route from the Bay Bridge to the Golden Gate Bridge.

flowmotion:
Thanks for this. I saw this or a similar booklet once at the Alemany Antique Market ... unfortunately someone else had just purchased it. Have never seen a scan.

(However, my memory was there were larger and more extensive drawings of the tunnels underneath Telegraph and Russian hills, as if that was the preferred alternative.)

kkt:
Interesting and thanks for putting it online!  The timing was wrong - if the Dept. of Highways had proposed this in the 1950s, S.F. might have said yes without a second thought.  The propaganda aspects do stand out - many photos of the traffic at rush hour, rather than street scenes at quieter times of day.  Still an interesting piece of history.

--- Quote from: Henry on June 17, 2022, 01:24:08 PM ---It is somewhat comforting that not all of it would've been built on a double-decker bridge, like the Embarcadero Freeway was; in fact, this part was to be depressed in a trench and maybe go through a tunnel. However, the waterfront area and surrounding neighborhoods would've been disrupted one way or another, which came as no surprise that the whole thing ended up being cancelled. Still, it would've made a nice freeway route from the Bay Bridge to the Golden Gate Bridge.

--- End quote ---

If you want to get from Oakland to Marin, why wouldn't you take the San Rafael Bridge (now I-580)?  Like paying extra tolls, spending longer in traffic, or just like orange? :)

Max Rockatansky:
Blew up our existing blog the last couple days.  The new version includes all the CHPW references to both the Embarcadero Freeway/Golden Gate Freeway along the Golden Gate Freeway study linked in the OP:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2019/03/the-embarcadero-and-history-of.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version