National Boards > Traffic Control

Freeway exit number tabs - when did they become common in your state?

(1/5) > >>

KCRoadFan:
As for those exit number tabs that we take for granted on interstate highways, along with many other freeways, today, here’s a question I have: for those who have lived long enough to remember, when did they first become commonplace on the freeways of your state? I asked because on one of the “roadgeek” websites I’ve looked at, I saw several pictures of exit signs along I-70 in Missouri from the 70’s and 80’s, none of which had exit numbers. By contrast, I’ve also seen pictures of signs in Pennsylvania and Ohio, from about the same era, that did have exit tabs. Anyway, whatever you come across, I’m interested to see it posted!

Techknow:
For California they aren't common at all, but three of them did pop up in San Francisco recently. Some of us that frequent the Pacific Southwest sub-forum have posted about it: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=29046.msg2746237#msg2746237

If we count internal exit tabs in California, then they really only became common around 2002 when the Cal-NExUS program started.

amroad17:
In Virginia, where I lived from 1972-94, the only exit tabs in the 1970's were on I-81, on the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike, on the Washington Beltway, and on I-64 in Hampton and Newport News [numbered 4-10 from Mallory St (268) to Jefferson Ave (255)].  All sequential.  It was around 1981 that VDOT began installing sequential exit tabs along the Interstates in the Commonwealth (except for I-295 which showed mile-based exit numbers).  It was around 1990-91 that the sequential exit numbers were changed to mile-based exit numbers (save for the x64's and I-581).

Also, in the 1970's while taking an annual spring trip to Florida using the completed portions of I-95 from Kenly, NC to Daytona Beach (starting in 1975), I noticed NC had mile-based numbers, SC did not receive tabs until 1976 (mile-based) and GA received theirs in 1976 or 1977 (sequential).  Florida, IIRC received theirs between 1978-80 (sequential), save for the Sunshine State Pkwy, err Florida's Turnpike with their hybrid numbering scheme.

In my birth state (NY), I am not really sure when exit tabs were added to the regular Interstates (Thruway already had exit tabs).  I do recall seeing them in 1972 on I-81 on our move from the Syracuse area to Hampton Roads, however, Machias has shown a photo of the Bear Street interchange sign in Syracuse from 1976 that does not have an exit tab.  I thought that NY had started using all-text on their BGS's starting in 1971 or 1972 and the photo that I have seen shows an outlined NY 298 shield on it which makes me think that the photo was taken in the late 1960's.

plain:

--- Quote from: amroad17 on June 28, 2022, 04:03:30 AM ---In Virginia, where I lived from 1972-94, the only exit tabs in the 1970's were on I-81, on the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike, on the Washington Beltway, and on I-64 in Hampton and Newport News [numbered 4-10 from Mallory St (268) to Jefferson Ave (255)].  All sequential.  It was around 1981 that VDOT began installing sequential exit tabs along the Interstates in the Commonwealth (except for I-295 which showed mile-based exit numbers).

--- End quote ---

I-295 actually didn't have exit numbers at all (VDOT installed the tabs from the get go but left them blank) until it was fully completed in 1992. But yeah it was milage based when they did sign them.

The Richmond-Petersburg Tpk indeed always had exit numbers, but they didn't start appearing on separate tabs until the 1970's.

Scott5114:
So far as I can tell from historic photos, they were already common in Oklahoma by the 1970s.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version