What type of STOP AHEAD sign do you prefer?

Started by kirbykart, July 31, 2022, 07:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What type of STOP AHEAD sign do you prefer?

The old, written ones
The new, pictorial ones

Voting closes: April 26, 2025, 07:44:07 AM

kirbykart

I definitely prefer the written ones, because they are becoming increasingly rare nowadays and there is a sense of joy in finding one. And unlike some old, written signs, these ones are not hard to read while driving because the message is so short. So please, vote your option, then post down below if you feel you want to explain why you voted for what you did. The poll will be open for 1000 days (nearly 3 years)!

hotdogPi

Pictorial signs are better because they're language-independent.

As for the poll, 0 makes it open forever.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Max Rockatansky

The old school embossed yellow colored variant. 

kirbykart

Quote from: 1 on July 31, 2022, 08:46:09 AM

As for the poll, 0 makes it open forever.
I didn't want the poll to last forever.

7/8

Quote from: 1 on July 31, 2022, 08:46:09 AM

Yep, especially when they're easy to interpret like the "stop ahead" sign. I'm in favour of reducing words on signs where possible.

Ted$8roadFan

Hobart

I like the pictoral ones with the little placard underneath that says "STOP AHEAD", yeah it's wishy washy but it's classic and covers all of the bases of stop ahead signs.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Scott5114

Sort of weird to call the pictoral ones "new", considering they first appeared 52 years ago, in the 1970 MUTCD.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SectorZ

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 31, 2022, 02:07:33 PM
Sort of weird to call the pictoral ones "new", considering they first appeared 52 years ago, in the 1970 MUTCD.

In my region they are relatively new in practice. I guess they really took time to get popular.

1995hoo

None. I'd rather they replace the stop sign with a yield sign and eliminate the "stop ahead."

:bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 31, 2022, 02:29:01 PM
None. I'd rather they replace the stop sign with a yield sign and eliminate the "stop ahead."

Even better, redo the whole intersection and replace it with a roundabout.  :sombrero:

US 89

Quote from: webny99 on July 31, 2022, 02:53:59 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 31, 2022, 02:29:01 PM

Even better, redo the whole intersection and replace it with a roundabout.  :sombrero:

As long as it's not a Crash Prone Modern Roundabout™

LilianaUwU

Hell, they always were the standard in Québec.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

lepidopteran

If there were such a thing as a "Go" sign, would the advance sign leading up to it read "Go Ahead"?  :confused:

Of course, "Go" signs only really appear in fiction, either round or at least once the same eight-sides as a STOP sign.  There was, however, a picture floating around online some 20 years ago of a 4-way stop mounted on span wires, possibly with a red beacon.  This one had standard STOP signs all around, but the back of each sign was colored green, and it read "GO" (smaller letters) "With Care".

LilianaUwU

Quote from: lepidopteran on July 31, 2022, 11:00:00 PM
If there were such a thing as a "Go" sign, would the advance sign leading up to it read "Go Ahead"?  :confused:

Of course, "Go" signs only really appear in fiction, either round or at least once the same six-sides as a STOP sign.  There was, however, a picture floating around online some 20 years ago of a 4-way stop mounted on span wires, possibly with a red beacon.  This one had standard STOP signs all around, but the back of each sign was colored green, and it read "GO" (smaller letters) "With Care".

As I have a lot of time to waste, I decided to make a pictorial "Go ahead" sign, based on an octogonal GO sign I saw online:

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

kirbykart

Quote from: SectorZ on July 31, 2022, 02:09:20 PM

In my region they are relatively new in practice. I guess they really took time to get popular.
Same here. I remember a written one being replaced with a pictorial one like 4-5 years ago.

Henry

Definitely the pictoral sign; it gives a better idea of what's ahead.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

amroad17

Quote from: LilianaUwU on July 31, 2022, 11:42:11 PM

Of course, "Go" signs only really appear in fiction, either round or at least once the same six-sides as a STOP sign.  There was, however, a picture floating around online some 20 years ago of a 4-way stop mounted on span wires, possibly with a red beacon.  This one had standard STOP signs all around, but the back of each sign was colored green, and it read "GO" (smaller letters) "With Care".

As I have a lot of time to waste, I decided to make a pictorial "Go ahead" sign, based on an octogonal GO sign I saw online:

Excellent!!!  Of course, with the proliferation of drivers who really do not stop at STOP signs (aka roll through or even ignore), would that mean drivers would actually stop at these GO signs?  :D  Nah, hardly anybody stops anymore--there is just so much going on in their lives they don't have time to stop.  "I'm busy so just f*** it!"  :-/
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

JoePCool14

I think a more interesting question would be with regard to YIELD AHEAD signs. At least in my travels, they can be somewhat rare outside of construction zones in either form. So when I found a textual YIELD AHEAD sign in the wild, I was admittedly a bit excited.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

mrsman

Quote from: JoePCool14 on August 03, 2022, 12:28:36 PM
I think a more interesting question would be with regard to YIELD AHEAD signs. At least in my travels, they can be somewhat rare outside of construction zones in either form. So when I found a textual YIELD AHEAD sign in the wild, I was admittedly a bit excited.

Here is a pictoral yield ahead that I pass through somewhat regularly.

US 29 SB at Fairland Rd exit in Fairland, MD (greater Silver Spring).

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0751503,-76.9560549,3a,75y,222.34h,85.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSYDY2RotxieZDnhbtiky-g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The left lane (to turn left) leads to a stop sign (and flashing red light) and the right lane (to turn right) leads to the yield.  From my experience, the vast majority of traffic makes the right turn here.

The configuration is sort of odd, since it is an exit to a road that the US 29 expressway intersects at a signal.  No left turn is allowed at the signal, so traffic heading to Fairland Rd east, needs to exit and make a left.  But since the intersection is a very long light that favors US 29 traffic, I believe most folks who are headed to the eastern part of Fairland Rd just use the Briggs Chaney exit instead.

Big John

Yield Ahead signs (usually pictorial) are common in approaches to roundabouts.

webny99

Quote from: Big John on August 03, 2022, 07:30:29 PM

This sign is what NY normally uses approaching a roundabout.

SectorZ

Quote from: LilianaUwU on July 31, 2022, 11:42:11 PM

Aller up your way, right? I can't possibly see that being confused for anything.

elsmere241

When I was in Italy, they would use a (wordless) Yield sign, with a sign saying "STOP a m 100" or somesuch.

kirbykart

Quote from: webny99 on August 03, 2022, 07:49:19 PM
Quote from: Big John on August 03, 2022, 07:30:29 PM

This sign is what NY normally uses approaching a roundabout.
I thought that was the standard sign for an upcoming roundabout.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.