News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Fictional Municipality/County Changes

Started by NWI_Irish96, October 05, 2022, 03:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvferyance

Split the southern third of Milwaukee County. They are so different politically from the rest of the county. They should be their own county. I would also merge the 2 Pewaukee's as one. I would also merge Wisconsin Dells and Lake Delton as one city.

Poiponen13

Quote from: dvferyance on November 30, 2022, 10:13:11 PM
Split the southern third of Milwaukee County. They are so different politically from the rest of the county. They should be their own county. I would also merge the 2 Pewaukee's as one. I would also merge Wisconsin Dells and Lake Delton as one city.
All other cities in Milwaukee County should be merged into Milwaukee.

mgk920

Quote from: Poiponen13 on December 01, 2022, 03:06:37 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on November 30, 2022, 10:13:11 PM
All other cities in Milwaukee County should be merged into Milwaukee.

Not just Milwaukee County, but the (really, as in about 1980 or so) old Wisconsin Telephone (when it was part of AT&T) Milwaukee 'Metroplan' local calling area should be politically one city with one mayor and one city council.  Ditto the rest of the metros in the state.  Yes, even Redgranite and Lohrville as well as Mayville and Kekoskee.

Mike

kphoger

Isn't it a benefit to have diversity within a political jurisdiction?   :hmmm:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Can we change state borders in this thread as well?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 01, 2022, 04:17:03 PM

I'd prefer not since that takes an act of Congress.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on December 01, 2022, 03:23:48 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_the_majority

Not saying it always happens, but it can be a risk that a political jurisdiction that serves many different distinct constituencies can have.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 01, 2022, 04:25:19 PM

If I can build interstates in Iraq I can redraw states

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 01, 2022, 04:33:39 PM

Can you build interstates in Iraq?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on December 01, 2022, 04:34:42 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 01, 2022, 04:33:39 PM

Can you build interstates in Iraq?
I'm sure we could have if we wanted to after we invaded their country 2 decades ago.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 01, 2022, 04:35:33 PM
I'm sure we could have if we wanted to after we invaded their country 2 decades ago.

Were you even allowed over there?  Last I checked, you can't build anything if you're not there to build it.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mgk920

Quote from: kphoger on December 01, 2022, 03:23:48 PM

IMHO, the big benefit is that the city's governance should reflect the mores and sensibilities of the entire metropolitan community.  right now, the city and suburbs in every metro are essentially two separate worlds.  No wonder they can't get along.

mike

Poiponen13

Oklahoma City (which is in both Oklahoma County and Cleveland County) could be separated to new City and County of Oklahoma City.

Scott5114

Quote from: Poiponen13 on December 02, 2022, 02:50:30 AM
Oklahoma City (which is in both Oklahoma County and Cleveland County) could be separated to new City and County of Oklahoma City.

Oklahoma City and Oklahoma County should merge. Oklahoma County doesn't really do a whole lot, given that so much of its territory is within OKC limits. Maybe we'd finally get the fucking jail fixed once and for all, too. 
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Halian

Florida: (presented with no thought as to feasibility :popcorn:)

• Split Volusia County between west (county seat: DeLand) and east (county seat: Daytona Beach).
  • Merge Jacksonville Beach, Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, and Baldwin into Jacksonville (consolidated with Duval County).
  • Merge each of the twenty-six counties with a population under 50,000 with their neighbors or, where more practicable, each other.
  • Make Miami (including Key Biscayne and intervening unincorporated lands) an independent city, and rename the county from which it separates back to Dade County.
  • Make Orlando (including intervening CDPs and unincorporated lands) an independent city, and merge the eastern remnant of Orange County with Seminole County.
  • Make the Keys their own county.
HalDOT, featuring my Hoennverse and Safir Alliance worldbuilding projects

GaryV

Quote from: Halian on December 03, 2022, 02:58:38 PM

• Merge each of the twenty-six counties with a population under 50,000 with their neighbors or, where more practicable, each other.

So you'll combine counties with under 50k, and then create a new one well under 20k people?

Halian

Quote from: GaryV on December 03, 2022, 03:02:09 PM
So you'll combine counties with under 50k, and then create a new one well under 20k people?
The Keys have a population of 73,090, per the 2010 census.

Poiponen13

Florida: (presented with no thought as to feasibility :popcorn: )

• Split Volusia County between west (county seat: DeLand) and east (county seat: Daytona Beach).
  • Merge Jacksonville Beach, Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, and Baldwin into Jacksonville (consolidated with Duval County).
  • Make Miami (including Key Biscayne and intervening unincorporated lands) an independent city, and rename the county from which it separates back to Dade County.
  • Make Orlando (including intervening CDPs and unincorporated lands) an independent city, and merge the eastern remnant of Orange County with Seminole County.

• Merge all other cities in Miami-Dade County into Miami. They alrealdy have same house numbering system as Miami.
  • Merge all other cities in Orange County into Orlando.     
  • Merge all other cities in Marion County into Ocala.
  • Merge Pinellas Park, Largo, Clearwater, Dunedin and Tarpon Springs into St. Petersburg, and make St. Petersburg an indepedent city.

GaryV

Quote from: Halian on December 03, 2022, 03:16:09 PM

You're right. I don't know why the first site that popped up on Google (some real estate) said 12k.

So basically you just want to add the mainland parts of Monroe County to Collier?

Halian

Quote from: GaryV on December 03, 2022, 03:23:54 PM
Quote from: Halian on December 03, 2022, 03:16:09 PM
You're right. I don't know why the first site that popped up on Google (some real estate) said 12k.

So basically you just want to add the mainland parts of Monroe County to Collier?
Sure; it never made sense to me that the Keys were physically disconnected from the rest of their county.

Poiponen13

Boise, Meridian, Nampa, Caldwell, Star, Eagle  and Kuna should be consolidated to one new mega-city called Idaho City. Ada and Canyon counties would be merged into City and County of Idaho City.

GaryV

Quote from: Poiponen13 on December 08, 2022, 03:02:22 AM
consolidated to one new mega-city called Idaho City.

"I told him we already got one."

Poiponen13

Quote from: GaryV on December 08, 2022, 07:09:21 AM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on December 08, 2022, 03:02:22 AM
consolidated to one new mega-city called Idaho City.

"I told him we already got one."
Then it could be just Boise.

Poiponen13

Chicago's borders are quite awkward. So it would make sense to absord all small suburbs near Chicago to Chicago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.