News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Limon should be a control city

Started by Roadgeekteen, April 01, 2023, 02:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighwayStar

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 04, 2023, 11:59:53 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on April 04, 2023, 11:42:13 PM
New York City and London are both far more important than either of them, but neither is on I-90 so they can't be control cities. Likewise with Rochester, its not really on I-90, so it does not qualify.
This isn't even comparable... I-90 is over a hundred miles from NYC. The city limits of Rochester are only around a mile off of I-90...

But the city limits are well outside of the urbanized area.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

sprjus4

Quote from: HighwayStar on April 05, 2023, 12:03:53 AM
New York City and London are both far more important than either of them, but neither is on I-90 so they can't be control cities. Likewise with Rochester, its not really on I-90, so it does not qualify.
This isn't even comparable... I-90 is over a hundred miles from NYC. The city limits of Rochester are only around a mile off of I-90...

So? What's your argument here? I-90 does not provide access to/from Rochester? Sure  :-D

roadman65

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 05, 2023, 12:40:58 AM

So? What's your argument here? I-90 does not provide access to/from Rochester? Sure  :-D

It appears that Kentucky uses Ashland on I-64 as a control city. Yet Ashland is several miles from the freeway in a north direction similar to Rochester from I-90 in MN.

Savannah, GA on I-95 was the same until the City annexed rural parts of Chatham County, GA post development where the interstate signed with Savannah being ten miles to the east of it Is now within it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

Can I-80 not use Chicago as a control city?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

sprjus4

Quote from: roadman65 on April 05, 2023, 01:04:57 AM

It appears that Kentucky uses Ashland on I-64 as a control city. Yet Ashland is several miles from the freeway in a north direction similar to Rochester from I-90 in MN.

Savannah, GA on I-95 was the same until the City annexed rural parts of Chatham County, GA post development where the interstate signed with Savannah being ten miles to the east of it Is now within it.
The same applies to Fayetteville, NC along I-95... it doesn't pass through that control city directly. But it sure is the best option between Florence and Rocky Mount - which I-95 doesn't directly pass through either!

I think the highways are strategically designed in this regard... they get close enough to the cities to provide access via other highways, but themselves avoid the city core / urban freeway aspect, prioritizing long haul traffic.

roadman65

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 05, 2023, 02:13:30 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 05, 2023, 01:04:57 AM

The same applies to Fayetteville, NC along I-95… it doesn’t pass through that control city directly. But it sure is the best option between Florence and Rocky Mount - which I-95 doesn’t directly pass through either!

I think the highways are strategically designed in this regard… they get close enough to the cities to provide access via other highways, but themselves avoid the city core / urban freeway aspect, prioritizing long haul traffic.

Funny thing about I-95 and Fayetteville. The reason why the bypass was completed last on the interstate was that the city originally wanted I-95 to go through it and not skirt it. Therefore the City held up the state in litigation holding back construction as business owners feared the loss of revenue that would later be lost if the through traffic got rerouted.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 05, 2023, 02:12:34 AM

Right. The highway doesn't have to physically enter the city.  I-90 serves Rochester. I-80 serves Chicago.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: HighwayStar on April 03, 2023, 03:58:19 PM
City limits in the US are pretty random in terms of what they include or don't. The city limits of Dallas for example run through mostly established neighborhoods often 10 miles+ inside the edge of the greater urban area. Smaller towns often have city limits that extend into virtually nothing. For this reason, city limits are not a very good test for these purposes.

I consider the "grid test" a bit more telling. Take Rapid City, or Sioux Falls, or Albert Lea. All have at least one exit that goes to a city street which is part of the town grid. It also works for Austin MN. But for Rochester, the exits go to other US highways that eventually enter Rochester proper, none of the exits interface with Rochester streets.

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 03, 2023, 04:13:39 PM
So, the fact that I-70 has an exit for Cooks Lane, which serves the West Hills neighborhood of Baltimore.......

Quote from: HighwayStar on April 04, 2023, 11:39:37 PM

Is not sufficient for a city of that size, as shown by the fact that the route as designed had service to much more of the city. With a town the size of Albert Lea or even Rapid City/Sioux Falls, that exit is still quite close to city center and meaningfully serves the city as a whole. That does not scale to a large city like Baltimore, DC, Dallas, etc.

So, to recap, if an interstate has an exit for a street that enters the city limits, it can be a control city. Except for Baltimore. Just cuz. K.

skluth

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 05, 2023, 08:48:13 AM

Right. The highway doesn't have to physically enter the city.  I-90 serves Rochester. I-80 serves Chicago.

It's interesting (at least to me) that I-90 serves both Rochester NY and MN without entering either city. 

Also, if Tomah can be a control city in Wisconsin, Albert Lea is large enough to be a control city.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: skluth on April 05, 2023, 11:04:37 AM

It's interesting (at least to me) that I-90 serves both Rochester NY and MN without entering either city. 

Also, if Tomah can be a control city in Wisconsin, Albert Lea is large enough to be a control city.

Tomah isn't an official control city according to AASHTO.

https://traffic.transportation.org/interstate-control-cities/

JayhawkCO

I don't like Tomah either. West of Wisconsin Dells it should be alternating Eau Claire/La Crosse. Tomah is 20 something miles away from a much more important town. The only thing that Tomah has is a junction. A junction and regional importance can be a justification for a control city, but Tomah is certainly not that.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 05, 2023, 11:12:09 AM

I would imagine this list isn't an exhaustive list. Using 76 as an example, the easternmost control city is Philadelphia, yet I-76 enters New Jersey.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 05, 2023, 11:24:35 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 05, 2023, 11:12:09 AM

I would imagine this list isn't an exhaustive list. Using 76 as an example, the easternmost control city is Philadelphia, yet I-76 enters New Jersey.

I also think its not how states actually sign everything. I was looking at a couple of exits between the Dells and Tomah, and they have directional signage for Madison (ignoring the Dells) and Tomah.

JayhawkCO

As I remember, there isn't a control city for I-76 East once you hit Philly city limits, right? Other than Walt Whitman Bridge.

MATraveler128

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 05, 2023, 11:33:13 AM

As I remember, there isn't a control city for I-76 East once you hit Philly city limits, right? Other than Walt Whitman Bridge.

For the most part yes, but there are also some signs that read "Central Phila"
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

kalvado

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 05, 2023, 09:08:21 AM
City limits in the US are pretty random in terms of what they include or don't. The city limits of Dallas for example run through mostly established neighborhoods often 10 miles+ inside the edge of the greater urban area. Smaller towns often have city limits that extend into virtually nothing. For this reason, city limits are not a very good test for these purposes.

I consider the "grid test" a bit more telling. Take Rapid City, or Sioux Falls, or Albert Lea. All have at least one exit that goes to a city street which is part of the town grid. It also works for Austin MN. But for Rochester, the exits go to other US highways that eventually enter Rochester proper, none of the exits interface with Rochester streets.

So, the fact that I-70 has an exit for Cooks Lane, which serves the West Hills neighborhood of Baltimore.......

Is not sufficient for a city of that size, as shown by the fact that the route as designed had service to much more of the city. With a town the size of Albert Lea or even Rapid City/Sioux Falls, that exit is still quite close to city center and meaningfully serves the city as a whole. That does not scale to a large city like Baltimore, DC, Dallas, etc.

So, to recap, if an interstate has an exit for a street that enters the city limits, it can be a control city. Except for Baltimore. Just cuz. K.
Whatever it worth... I-87 has a control city of Montreal - even though I-87 doesn't enter not only Montreal city limits, but  neither Quebec province nor Canada... 

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kalvado on April 05, 2023, 12:31:38 PM
Whatever it worth... I-87 has a control city of Montreal - even though I-87 doesn't enter not only Montreal city limits, but  neither Quebec province nor Canada...

And it 100% makes sense.

vdeane

A-15 does, and I see that situation as being similar to when a state route crosses into another state and changes number.  Should NY 7 not have Bennington as a control city?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Flint1979

I'm pretty sure the city limits of Rochester extend that far south so the airport can be included in the city limits. Pretty much the same as Flint, MI having the city limits stretch out to include Bishop Airport on the other side of I-75. That's the only point I-75 even enters Flint proper is at the Bristol Road interchange, outside of that it's Flint Township to the north and Mundy Township to the south.

hbelkins

No one has mentioned that I-80 doesn't go to NYC, yet has a control city of NYC?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

Quote from: hbelkins on April 05, 2023, 01:21:43 PM
No one has mentioned that I-80 doesn't go to NYC, yet has a control city of NYC?
I-80 ends in the NYC Metro area though and is reached via a short trip along another highway.

Flint1979

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 05, 2023, 09:08:21 AM

But it is going in that direction and can be reached via the same highway just with a different route number.

LilianaUwU

It would if FritzOwl had any influence on the Canadian highway system.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on April 05, 2023, 12:39:25 PM
A-15 does, and I see that situation as being similar to when a state route crosses into another state and changes number.  Should NY 7 not have Bennington as a control city?
Since this is about being pedantic, rather than practical...
Is there a difference between Rochester NY being reachable from I-90 via I-390/490 and Montreal being reachable from I-87 via A-15?
I would say that both can be used for practical navigation. Some people seem a little too puristic about it.

Roadgeekteen

Not to mention the famous example of Los Angeles on I-40.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.