News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Jerry Springer dies at 79

Started by LM117, April 27, 2023, 11:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

golden eagle

Trash TV at its finest and I loved it!

Stephane Dumas

Weird Al Yankovic did one a good parody tribute with the song "Jerry Springer" who was a parody of "One Week" by the Barenaked Ladies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbfiEfVfo4M

SectorZ

I was listening to the Weird Al song an hour before I found out the news. A fitting tribute.

When I was a teen in college working in retail, I used to close and get home between 11 and midnight. My dad was working second shift at the time in his manufacturing job and got home roughly when I did. One of the local stations in Boston played it at midnight, and I swear we never laughed so friggin' hard at the plight of some of the people on there. It was so staged but still funny.

Shocking to think that Springer was the mayor of a major city before his more well-known parts of his career.

GaryV

Quote from: SectorZ on April 27, 2023, 02:37:50 PM
Shocking to think that Springer was the mayor of a major city before his more well-known parts of his career.
There's many examples of entertainers (and I use the term in it's broadest sense) becoming politicians.

Why not a politician becoming an entertainer?

wanderer2575

I fully expect that, in lieu of a moment of silence, the funeral will feature a minute of two families shouting and throwing chairs at each other.

Scott5114

Quote from: GaryV on April 27, 2023, 02:48:47 PM
There's many examples of entertainers (and I use the term in it's broadest sense) becoming politicians.

Why not a politician becoming an entertainer?

Generally, once someone has a career in politics, it hardens people's opinions about them according to their politics. Most entertainment groups aren't too keen to take a chance on someone who is starting off with a chunk of the population not liking them. Much easier to start with a fresh face that nobody has an opinion on yet.

Former White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer's attempt at transitioning to entertainment on Dancing with the Stars is a good object example of this. Springer was able to make the leap because as a mayor, he was unknown to everyone outside of Cincinnati. (And he served during a period of much less partisan politics, as well.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bing101

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on April 27, 2023, 01:21:24 PM
Weird Al Yankovic did one a good parody tribute with the song "Jerry Springer" who was a parody of "One Week" by the Barenaked Ladies.

Weird Al Yankovic even did a segment in the UHF Movie where the parody in Question had the entire framework of Jerry Springer before it even existed. Note UHF the movie was made in 1989 and the parody was initially about Wally George, Morton Downey Jr and Geraldo at the time the movie was made.  Jerry Springer became big in the 1990's.

elsmere241

Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 27, 2023, 07:15:47 PM
I fully expect that, in lieu of a moment of silence, the funeral will feature a minute of two families shouting and throwing chairs at each other.

I saw a Facebook meme along those lines.  I can just see his former bouncers being the pallbearers and having to break up fights.

Seriously, though, all the different newspaper headlines about this have been amusing.

abefroman329

Quote from: SectorZ on April 27, 2023, 02:37:50 PMShocking to think that Springer was the mayor of a major city before his more well-known parts of his career.
And that career ended when he received services rendered from a prostitute, and paid for it...with a personal check.

Rothman

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 28, 2023, 02:21:33 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on April 27, 2023, 02:37:50 PMShocking to think that Springer was the mayor of a major city before his more well-known parts of his career.
And that career ended when he received services rendered from a prostitute, and paid for it...with a personal check.
Nope.  He was a councilman, resigned and then actually won his seat back.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

triplemultiplex

A politician resigning in the face of a sex scandal?  How quaint!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

formulanone

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on April 28, 2023, 03:58:57 PM

Correct.  He resigned from city council because of the massage parlor raid, but he was later re-elected as councilman, then re-elected twice more after that.  The council then elected him as mayor.  The Jerry Springer show started out as a political talk show, and only started to turn into a freak show a few years later, when he and his producer discovered America's appetite for that.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Henry

This was all so sudden...

RIP Jerry Springer, the king of trash TV
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: kphoger on April 28, 2023, 04:51:52 PM

Correct.  He resigned from city council because of the massage parlor raid, but he was later re-elected as councilman, then re-elected twice more after that.  The council then elected him as mayor.  The Jerry Springer show started out as a political talk show, and only started to turn into a freak show a few years later, when he and his producer discovered America's appetite for that.

He also ran for Ohio Governor in the Democratic primary in 1982, losing to the eventual nominee, Gov. Richard Celeste.

golden eagle

Quote from: kphoger on April 28, 2023, 04:51:52 PM

On a national level, Ricki Lake started this trend. Her show was geared towards Gen-X and was beating Oprah in that demographic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.