Regional Boards > Northeast

PA Turnpike News

<< < (571/577) > >>

famartin:

--- Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 03, 2022, 01:46:52 PM ---The Pennsylvania Turnpike should be 3 lanes in each direction the entire length, especially west of Exit 201 and east of Exit 226. It's way too windy and weavy to be any narrower. It needs widening to be a safe road.

--- End quote ---

I don't see any sign of backups along the entire road, so such a widening is unnecessary. Certain sections do need widening, but what I've seen suggests they are actually the 3-lane sections of 276 which need it the most.

famartin:

--- Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 03, 2022, 04:08:33 PM ---Not because of the traffic, but because of how dangerously curvy it is west of Exit 201. Drivers need more room to navigate those sharp turns through the terrain without flipping their cars over.

--- End quote ---

Curves are solved by straightening, banking, or by lowering the speed limit. Widening doesn't help all that much and is considerably more costly compared to the better solutions.

davewiecking:

--- Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 03, 2022, 04:08:33 PM ---Not because of the traffic, but because of how dangerously curvy it is west of Exit 201. Drivers need more room to navigate those sharp turns through the terrain without flipping their cars over.

--- End quote ---

I feel like I wandered into the wrong theater at the multiplex, but I meant to watch something I HAVENíT ALREADY SEEN.

jeffandnicole:

--- End quote ---

I'm sure we've asked in the past, but how many crashes have you been in or seen the aftermath of in this area of roadway?

If I were to answer this myself, my current number is 0.

Crown Victoria:

--- Quote from: Bitmapped on December 03, 2022, 01:07:51 PM ---
--- Quote from: Crown Victoria on December 03, 2022, 11:16:14 AM ---Quick trip to western PA this weekend...and can confirm removal of the church steps in New Baltimore is in progress as part of reconstructing MP 126-130.

--- End quote ---

Not surprising. There was no safe parking for the stairs and the widening was just going to exacerbate the problem. Achieving ADA compliance would have also been tricky, requiring long ramps, and the new Findley Street bridge was built without a sidewalk.

--- End quote ---

Not to mention the federal government would never allow the steps to remain. It's a miracle they made it this long!

--- Quote from: MASTERNC on November 28, 2022, 11:49:08 AM ---Drove through the construction west of Somerset this week.  It looked like some of the new alignments were awaiting final paving, and there was paving on the eastbound side of the roadway.  However, I didn't see much done on the westbound side, which would make it difficult to switch to reconstructing the inner roadway.

--- End quote ---

Yeah I noticed that myself. There were a few short stretches with pavement on the westbound side, but most of it is not paved. At this point in the year, I doubt much else will happen until springtime.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version