Regional Boards > Northeast

PA Turnpike News

<< < (572/576) > >>

seicer:

--- Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 03, 2022, 04:08:33 PM ---Not because of the traffic, but because of how dangerously curvy it is west of Exit 201. Drivers need more room to navigate those sharp turns through the terrain without flipping their cars over.

--- End quote ---

Accident statistics prove otherwise.

MASTERNC:

--- Quote from: famartin on December 03, 2022, 04:03:14 PM ---
--- Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 03, 2022, 01:46:52 PM ---The Pennsylvania Turnpike should be 3 lanes in each direction the entire length, especially west of Exit 201 and east of Exit 226. It's way too windy and weavy to be any narrower. It needs widening to be a safe road.

--- End quote ---

I don't see any sign of backups along the entire road, so such a widening is unnecessary. Certain sections do need widening, but what I've seen suggests they are actually the 3-lane sections of 276 which need it the most.

--- End quote ---

The sections west of Valley Forge are quite busy and can use the third lane (I know they are working on one section, with work on another starting in a few months).  The section between Somerset and Breezewood can get quite congested, especially around holidays, given the I-70 overlap.  Unfortunately, the one section east of Somerset will likely be the last to be widened because it was one of the first to be reconstructed about 20 years ago.

famartin:

--- Quote from: MASTERNC on December 04, 2022, 08:00:56 PM ---
--- Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 03, 2022, 01:46:52 PM ---The Pennsylvania Turnpike should be 3 lanes in each direction the entire length, especially west of Exit 201 and east of Exit 226. It's way too windy and weavy to be any narrower. It needs widening to be a safe road.

--- End quote ---

I don't see any sign of backups along the entire road, so such a widening is unnecessary. Certain sections do need widening, but what I've seen suggests they are actually the 3-lane sections of 276 which need it the most.

--- End quote ---

The sections west of Valley Forge are quite busy and can use the third lane (I know they are working on one section, with work on another starting in a few months).  The section between Somerset and Breezewood can get quite congested, especially around holidays, given the I-70 overlap.  Unfortunately, the one section east of Somerset will likely be the last to be widened because it was one of the first to be reconstructed about 20 years ago.

--- End quote ---

Busy is one thing... but are there actual backups?  Daily slowing down to 20-30 mph is typical along portions of 276, I don't see much sign of that occurring (holidays or otherwise) on the mainline further west. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the widening money COULD be better spent elsewhere (though I know they are also doing full reconstruction to interstate standards, something they didn't bother with when they 6-laned 276, so at least there's that).

MASTERNC:

--- Quote from: famartin on December 04, 2022, 08:45:34 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Busy is one thing... but are there actual backups?  Daily slowing down to 20-30 mph is typical along portions of 276, I don't see much sign of that occurring (holidays or otherwise) on the mainline further west. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the widening money COULD be better spent elsewhere (though I know they are also doing full reconstruction to interstate standards, something they didn't bother with when they 6-laned 276, so at least there's that).

--- End quote ---

There are often stop & go backups during holiday weekends (especially Thanksgiving) on the I-70 overlap section in the areas I mentioned.  Elsewhere the issue is more trucks and slower vehicles clogging the left lane.

jeffandnicole:

--- Quote from: MASTERNC on December 04, 2022, 08:54:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: famartin on December 04, 2022, 08:45:34 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

There are often stop & go backups during holiday weekends (especially Thanksgiving) on the I-70 overlap section in the areas I mentioned.  Elsewhere the issue is more trucks and slower vehicles clogging the left lane.

--- End quote ---

Gotta justify the need for a widening for more than a handful of days a year. Nearly every road needs a widening based on that criteria.

If it was congested multiple times each weekend all summer long, then it's worth looking into a widening.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version