News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

How fast do you drive?

Started by Bryant5493, April 05, 2009, 04:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryant5493

Like the topic title asks, "How fast do you drive?"

I usually keep my speed between 65 m.p.h. and 75 m.p.h., traveling no more than 65 m.p.h. at night. (I can't see the police at night, due to a lot of them using dark blue cars - lol).

NOTE: This refers to driving on Interstates and other limited access roadways.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

ComputerGuy

I don't drive a car, but I do have a mini-motorbike that is allowed on streets...

Limit: 45mph
Me: 44.9mph

Chris

On Freeways usually the speed limit; 75 mph, sometimes 80. Never gotten a speeding ticket on a 75 mph freeway, but I did get one on the ringroad of Amsterdam where a sleepy 60 mph is allowed...

Germany has no speed limits on many freeways, but I'll usually stick between 75 and 80, I'm not a fugitive nor in a hurry, and it saves some fuel, to keep my mileage above 42 mpg.

rawr apples

There's this stretch of I-75 that goes through downriver Detroit where there are no cops that I like driving on. Speed limit is 70, but you could easily go 85+

Normally on freeways here I'd go 5 over, sometimes 10 if traffic is fast, which normally it is around here.
Now shut up and drivee

Bryant5493

ComputerGuy said:
I don't drive a car, but I do have a mini-motorbike that is allowed on streets...

Limit: 45mph
Me: 44.9mph

Lol, just a hair below the max speed.

Chris said:
Germany has no speed limits on many freeways, but I'll usually stick between 75 and 80, I'm not a fugitive nor in a hurry, and it saves some fuel, to keep my mileage above 42 mpg.

Wow! 42 mpg?! What kind of vehicle do you drive?

rawr apples said:
Normally on freeways here I'd go 5 over, sometimes 10 if traffic is fast, which normally it is around here.

Atlanta traffic flows very fast, except when there are traffic jams. I might be driving 70 or 75, but get passed like I'm standing still.

Be well,

Bryant

Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Truvelo

I usually set my cruise control at around 90mph which is just under 2500rpm as I don't want to kill my engine. Here in the UK the motorway (freeway) speed limit is 70mph and the trigger speed for speed cameras is 79mph so at these speeds I have to be careful. Most traffic at night moves at well over the speed limit so by doing 90 I'm keeping up with most of the traffic.

Chris probably drives a diesel as they are popular here in Europe. 42mpg is easily attainable in a modern diesel, even at 90mph I get into the 40's no problem. If I do 55mph in 5th gear the on board computer registers 70mpg :cool:
Speed limits limit life

Tarkus

In cities here in Oregon, I usually follow the speed limit, but anytime I see a "Speed 55" sign, I completely disregard it, as it's basically arcane NMSL holdover bull that our idiot politicians have been too lazy/stupid to fix.  Ditto with "Speed 65" signs on the Interstates. 

I usually go about 75 on the freeways, and on non-freeways, and I usually travel about 60-65mph on other rural roads, sometimes even a little higher if the road supports it.

-Alex (Tarkus)

AZDude

Voyager

Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

corco

On rural highways I set the cruise at 5 over, so that's usually 80 or 70 out here. In cities I play the rabbit game and go as fast as the fastest car in front of me. On I-5 in Seattle where my typical urban freeway drive was from Tacoma to Seattle I'd usually average 75, in Denver where it's Fort Collins to Denver I've found I'm averaging 85-90 (keeping in mind the speed limit is 75 until you get inside E-470).

I've only gotten one speeding ticket too, going 82 in a 65 in Upstate New York :)

BigMattFromTexas

i don't drive but in texas on I-10 you can drive 80mph some speeders go about 90

un1

No more than 120 on freeways and 105 on expressway.

If you're wondering I'm talking about km.p.h not m.p.h.
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

Truvelo

Even though you're talking kilometers those speeds are quite low.

What is the normal tolerance in the US a cop will give before pulling you over? Over here a cop will only stop you for doing less than 85 in a 70 if you're driving erratically. Over 85 and a cop will do you regardless of you safely you claim your driving is. Speed cameras are less forgiving as they are set to trigger at 10%+2mph so in a 70 you'll be done for doing 79 :angry:
Speed limits limit life

corco

Depending on jurisdiction cops give between 5 and 10 over. Anything over 10 and you're pretty much guaranteed a ticket anywhere- with a few exceptions I know of.

You're generally OK in the state of Oregon in their rural 55 zones (eg US-20 from Ontario to Bend) as long as you keep it under 70 and you're wearing Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, or Washington license plates (on the flipside if you're wearing California plates prepare to get a ticket for going 56), and it seems like the under 70 in the 55 applies in some urban areas as well (Denver, Chicago).

akotchi

I have a lead foot -- but I generally go a similar speed to the traffic around me, no matter what the posted speed is.  I try to keep it to 75 at most, but in some areas I still get run off the road for going so slow. . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

deathtopumpkins

As I only have my permit right now I stick to the speed limit unless its 35 on a surface street, in which case I do 40, don't know why, and I try to stick to the speed limit on freeways, but in traffic it's too dangerous to do less than 10-15 over, and at that speed I'm still getting passed and run up on.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

DAL764

Depending on the traffic situation, I usually put cruise control at either 60mph (if the Autobahn is empty) or at 70 if there's much traffic. Could easily go faster and most of the time want to go faster, but alas, with fuel being as expensive as it is, fuel efficient driving is the way to go for me.

SSOWorld

given my car's fuel efficiency at 65-70, it doesn't matter if I drive 60 or 70 since both give me the same results.  Hence I take the higher legal limit ;-)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

74/171FAN

Basically 70 mph on freeways that I think should be 70(but are only 65 in most cases)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Truvelo

Maybe you should adopt the UK system whereby the default limit on a divided highway is 70 unless another limit is signed. This would make the limit easier to remember and would reduce clutter by not having speed limit signs everywhere.
Speed limits limit life

mightyace

QuoteMaybe you should adopt the UK system whereby the default limit on a divided highway is 70 unless another limit is signed. This would make the limit easier to remember and would reduce clutter by not having speed limit signs everywhere.

Most states have default speed limits if it is unsigned.  However, states usually sign it anyway since many (most?) people don't remember what the defaults are.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

deathtopumpkins

And then some states like NY post a sign saying "State Speed Limit 55" so you always know.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

SSOWorld

yeah most of the speed limits are low.  Wisconsin has a default speed limit of 55 unless signed - that INCLUDES the Interstates, so if they weren't signed, they'd be 55. :rolleyes:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

deathtopumpkins

I guess that same thing applies here then...

Scott5114

I usually drive at 70 mph. This works well because the default speed limit in Oklahoma is 70 for freeways and 65 for most rural highways. Norman and Oklahoma City post their freeways at 60 but I really don't see any reason to slow down unless there's congestion or the cops are sitting in the totally obvious spot under the gore point sign they're always under. I will bump it up to 75 if I'm late or on a turnpike (you get 5 bonus MPH on the limit since you're such a good customer).

In cities I'll usually stick with 45-50 mph.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.