News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Fútbol chatter

Started by mgk920, June 19, 2013, 11:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

This morning's newspaper says CBS Sports Network will have tonight's game.

I guess I'll find out shortly before game time. It's sort of like the "blue box method" for determining the weather: Hang blue box on wall. If box is wet, it's raining....
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Big John

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 30, 2022, 08:01:10 AM
This morning's newspaper says CBS Sports Network will have tonight's game.

I guess I'll find out shortly before game time. It's sort of like the "blue box method" for determining the weather: Hang blue box on wall. If box is wet, it's raining....
My cable guide shows it on CBSSN too.

Big John

After a 0-0 half time score, Costa Rica scores 2 early second-half goals.

Bruce

FIFA has launched their own free streaming platform (FIFA+), which has live matches not covered by normal TV/streaming contracts, documentaries, and archived full-match replays. The last category is something that's been sorely missing, so being able to watch old World Cups is quite a treat. Sadly the video player itself is pretty awful and I don't think it'll stay free forever.

https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/organisation/media-releases/fifa-launches-fifa-to-bring-free-football-entertainment-to-fans-everywhere

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Bruce on April 13, 2022, 12:26:31 PM
FIFA has launched their own free streaming platform (FIFA+), which has live matches not covered by normal TV/streaming contracts, documentaries, and archived full-match replays. The last category is something that's been sorely missing, so being able to watch old World Cups is quite a treat. Sadly the video player itself is pretty awful and I don't think it'll stay free forever.

https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/organisation/media-releases/fifa-launches-fifa-to-bring-free-football-entertainment-to-fans-everywhere

Current TV/streaming contracts cover:

Premier League
Bundesliga
Serie A
La Liga
MLS
Liga MX (Spanish only)

All CONCACAF competitions
All UEFA competitions
All CONMEBOL competitions

I hope it stays free, because everything worth paying for is already covered.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Bruce

The Seattle Sounders will face Mexico City's Pumas for the continental title. No MLS team has won it in its current form.

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1514439413819969540

Bruce

The Seattle Sounders go down 2-0 in Mexico City and manage to claw their way back thanks to two penalties. The Sounders and Pumas travel to Seattle next Wednesday for a huge second leg, where the winner takes all (since away goals don't apply in the final).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHyvYq3xsQk

Bruce

SOUNDERS WIN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

First MLS club to win it properly. Demolished Pumas 3-0 at home in front of a CCL record 68,000 (including myself). Just all around the best night in Seattle sports history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCK9GbOF3Zo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA4fYBDbtco

CoreySamson

Congrats! So this means Seattle is going to be facing clubs from around the world the FIFA Club World Cup?
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Bruce

Quote from: CoreySamson on May 05, 2022, 08:08:04 PM
Congrats! So this means Seattle is going to be facing clubs from around the world the FIFA Club World Cup?

They should...but the Club World Cup format has not been announced. FIFA was planning to reform into a four-year tournament with more teams to replace the Confederations Cup's slot, but COVID hit and made them revert to the yearly one-per-confederation format.

If it's the original format, then the Sounders would probably play either the host nation's champion or one of the weaker confederation champions, then get paired with either the Copa Libertadores or UEFA Champions League winner.

thspfc

For the UCL final I'll take Liverpool 2-1 in extra time.

english si

Quote from: thspfc on May 06, 2022, 08:40:08 AM
For the UCL final I'll take Liverpool 2-1 in extra time.
that's low scoring, given previous results for both teams against big clubs.

Like City, Liverpool defend by dominating the game in the middle of the field, rather than than having a good defence. This is how games between them have seen both teams scoring two this season (Liverpool got a third in the FA Cup semi) and have leaked goals whenever a team has not been dominated by them in midfield (eg City leaking 3 goals against Madrid at the Etihad).

And in the last few weeks, both Barca and City have put 4 past Madrid, and Chelsea 3. That strikes me as something similar.

Liverpool have a tight title race still to win (from a point behind City), as well as the FA Cup Final, to both tire and distract them from the game in Paris. Madrid are champions already and can focus fully on winning the UCL and have the confidence that comes from getting through three huge knockout ties against some of the hardest possible opposition (including last year's two finalists).

It will be close, but 3-2 Madrid is what I'll go with.

CNGL-Leudimin

I'm rooting for a massive earthquake in that one. I wanted Villarreal to win it all.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

JayhawkCO

Arsenal, so Spursy.

COYS

thspfc

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 16, 2022, 04:55:21 PM
Arsenal, so Spursy.

COYS
Sets up a perfect opportunity for Spurs to hopefully not blunder it away against Norwich. Getting back to the UCL would be huge for them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on May 16, 2022, 05:00:35 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 16, 2022, 04:55:21 PM
Arsenal, so Spursy.

COYS
Sets up a perfect opportunity for Spurs to hopefully not blunder it away against Norwich. Getting back to the UCL would be huge for them.

I can see us being Spursy and drawing Norwich, but even that gets us through. Bluntly, I think Everton takes out the Gooners so it'll probably be moot. I was glad Everton lost the other day so they might have something to play for on the last matchday.

Now let's spend some money on some proper wingbacks and a better "playmaker" CM (a la Modric or Eriksen) and then we can actually do some damage next year.

english si

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 16, 2022, 05:04:34 PMI was glad Everton lost the other day so they might have something to play for on the last matchday.
Nah, they are in the same boat as Arsenal are now - the thing that could happen is unlikely.

While people in England are currently laughing heartedly at Arsenal on the cusp of bottling their top four place, they will be annoyed when they realise that the Gunners have a low chance of having something to play for if Palace beat Everton. Everton is the team that most people want to go down (not that anyone other than their own fans would be unhappy with Burnley or Leeds ending their spell in the Premier League) and if they are playing an Arsenal praying for a Norwich win to get Champions League rather than having it in their own hands then that makes Fat Frank going down even less likely.

----

The end of the season does weird things - Man U fans were happy about Man City scoring two late goals against West Ham. Because it not only stopped West Ham going above them and likely getting that Europa League (rather than Europa Conference League) spot, but it made the Liverpool Quadruple less likely. Not only are Liverpool the true enemy rather than the friendly local rivalry with City, but a Quadruple would piss all over the '99 Treble Man U got - it's the stuff of their nightmares.

JayhawkCO

No discussion about Championship Sunday? It was a crazy day.

• Manchester City went down 2-0 against Villa before scoring 3 goals in less than 6 minutes to win the title.
  • Liverpool went down 1-0 against Wolves only to make a comeback themselves to win 3-1, which would have been enough for the title had City not come back.
  • Needing only a draw to get Champions League football, my Spurs dominated with a 5-0 victory leaving no doubt. Son Heung-Min (my favorite player) scored two goals late to tie Mohammed Salah for the Golden Boot, although all of Sonny's goals were from open play while a good share of Salah's came from the penalty spot.
  • Arsenal, needing to win and then hope Norwich could pull off a miracle against Spurs got their win but no glory as Spurs handled business. Enjoy those fun Thursday night games in Kazakhstan.
  • West Ham needed to better the result of Manchester United to get Europa League instead of Europa Conference League. But, despite Man U looking listless in a 1-0 loss to Palace, West Ham gave up an early lead and lost 3-1 to Brighton.
  • Leeds entered the day in the relegation zone, but ended up pulling out a 2-1 win over Brentford in order to stay up.
  • ...at the expense of Burnley who lost to Newcastle 2-1 despite getting the opening goal, and now they are relegated to the Championship.

Bruce

LAFC have managed to sign Gareth Bale to a non-DP contract, apparently to keep him match fit for the World Cup.

MLS is going to be pretty spicy this summer.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Bruce on June 27, 2022, 05:16:55 PM
LAFC have managed to sign Gareth Bale to a non-DP contract, apparently to keep him match fit for the World Cup.

MLS is going to be pretty spicy this summer.

I'm guessing he's going to play as much as he can for the rest of the year, then go to to World Cup and retire after that. MLS's non-UEFA schedule make sense why he came here instead of going to Cardiff City as rumored.

Bruce

Interesting facts about the Portland Timbers (seen on /r/MLS):

In the age of homegrown talents running all over MLS, it's quite unusual for them not to be a key part of a team's roster. Something's up in the so-called "Soccer City".

JayhawkCO

So the 2022-23 Premier League starts up tomorrow. Figured I'd do some predictions:

1. Manchester City
2. Liverpool
3. Tottenham
4. Arsenal
5. Chelsea
6. Manchester United
7. Crystal Palace
8. Newcastle
9. West Ham
10. Wolves
11. Brighton
12. Aston Villa
13. Leicester City
14. Everton
15. Leeds
16. Southampton
17. Nottingham Forest
18. Fulham
19. Brentford
20. Bournemouth

Golden Boot: Haaland
Golden Glove: Allison

thspfc

1. City
2. Liverpool
3. Arsenal
4. United
5. Tottenham
6. Chelsea
7. Villa
8. Wolves
9. West Ham
10. Leicester
11. Southampton
12. Newcastle
13. Brighton
14. Forest
15. Everton
16. Palace
17. Fulham
18. Leeds
19. Bournemouth
20. Brentford

JayhawkCO

Another friendly wager that Spurs will finish above Man U?

Alps

you all want Chelsea out of the top 4 so bad, no way

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.