News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate / Freeway Opening Dates - Map

Started by sprjus4, January 20, 2019, 12:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: epzik8 on March 17, 2019, 10:48:00 AM
That is really cool.
Thanks for the feedback. I plan on completing more maps in the future for other states whenever I can find information on them.

sprjus4

Update -
Updated the format for the original Virginia map to include "Opening Date", "Information", and "Cost" sections. Along with that, I have gone ahead and added cost information for certain highways when it was available, and plan on expanding that when more information is found. A few highways with generalized opening dates (year only) were also updated to include specific opening dates (year, month, date), again after it was researched.

The source information for the Virginia map has also been updated to include specific article links as opposed to simply the website.

Finally, at least one new map, possible two maps should be completed by April or May. 

tolbs17

This site has some nice imagery. Go to 2003 and you can see the Wilson Bypass (US-264) opened in two segments. First segment (US-264 ALT to I-95) opened in I believe 2000 or 2001, and the second (I-95 to NC 58) was in 2003.

This site does not list the segment that opened in the early 2000s.

Mapmikey

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 27, 2021, 07:04:38 AM

The site is accurate.  US 264 was not assigned to that segment between I-95 and US 264 ALT near Sims until the full freeway around Wilson was opened.  That first section was SR 1213 when it opened.  This is explicitly shown on the 1999-2000 Wilson County map and also spelled out here

SkyPesos

This series sounds interesting to me. I could help with Ohio, Indiana and Missouri if you need it.
Quote from: Beltway on January 20, 2019, 03:47:32 PM
Quote from: US 89 on January 20, 2019, 03:42:24 PM
Quote from: Beltway on January 20, 2019, 03:29:24 PM
Quote from: froggie on January 20, 2019, 08:23:17 AM
Suggestion:  you have too many colors.  Go with a uniform color for a given decade or 5 year period, and label the specific opening date/month for an individual section.
There is a reason why Metro systems typically use no more than 5 or 6 colors for their lines, often just the primary colors.  Easy to differentiate.  Red, yellow, green, blue, orange for WMATA.  Silver just added recently.
...other than the fact that such systems don't usually have more than 5 or 6 lines in the first place?

Some have many more, see New York, London, Paris, Tokyo.
Which is why they use numbers, letters or names instead of colors.

hotdogPi

There are more distinguishable colors than color names, such as this, this, this, this, and this. Five colors, three commonly used names if you include cyan and sky blue.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

tolbs17

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 27, 2021, 08:23:21 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 27, 2021, 07:04:38 AM

The site is accurate.  US 264 was not assigned to that segment between I-95 and US 264 ALT near Sims until the full freeway around Wilson was opened.  That first section was SR 1213 when it opened.  This is explicitly shown on the 1999-2000 Wilson County map and also spelled out here
I did kind of figure it would have been a state or a NC highway route.

tolbs17

And going through Nashville, US-64 was a two-lane freeway until the late 70s.

SkyPesos

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 27, 2021, 04:31:52 PM
And going through Nashville, US-64 was a two-lane freeway until the late 70s.
US 64 misses Nashville by like 70 miles to the south.

sprjus4

Nashville, NC.

I've just learned to assume he means North Carolina when not giving a state name.

sprjus4

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 27, 2021, 09:08:57 AM
This series sounds interesting to me. I could help with Ohio, Indiana and Missouri if you need it.
Perhaps in the future, but this was a project I had started a couple years ago and just kind of gave up on. Mainly lost time to do it, and never got back into it. If I get more time, I may come back to it at some point.

But appreciate the offer.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 13, 2019, 06:40:48 PM
Maryland & Washington D.C. Freeway Openings - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wD0XEdn2ljaL-nW6vzvlSKP_wVIMGn_c

Format updated to include three sections, "Opening Date", "Information", and "Cost". Not all freeway segments have all three sections filled out, but when available, they will be.

In spite of the name, I do not think the section of U.S. 29 in D.C. called Whitehurst Freeway, N.W. qualifies as a freeway.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

sprjus4

^ I included it when making that map because while substandard, it's still an elevated limited access highway segment with one interchange.

tolbs17

US-64 between Rocky Mount and Tarboro had at-grade intersections until the mid 90s. I think it was 1996 is when it became a full freeway.

NE2

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 28, 2021, 10:58:19 AM
In spite of the name, I do not think the section of U.S. 29 in D.C. called Whitehurst Freeway, N.W. qualifies as a freeway.
You think wrongly.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.