News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Crazy things you've found in Google StreetView

Started by rickmastfan67, April 07, 2010, 03:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkman417

I found what could be This fatal crash near Morehouse, MO on US-60. Satellite Image of the crash

Terry

The roadside memorial for the Humboldt Broncos after a collision at the intersection of SK-35 and SK-335, where 16 people were killed when a semi carrying peat moss blew through the stop sign on 335 going W/B and in front of the team bus going N/B.

Turn to the SE corner of the intersection and you'll see 6 crosses in memory of a family of 6 killed in 1997, when their pickup blew through the intersection going E/B and slammed into a grain truck going S/B.

https://goo.gl/maps/vqEZWG5aFrt3GiTX8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humboldt_Broncos_bus_crash
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/humboldt-broncos-crash-site-intersection-1.4610707

mrsman

Quote from: Terry on December 27, 2019, 01:07:59 AM
The roadside memorial for the Humboldt Broncos after a collision at the intersection of SK-35 and SK-335, where 16 people were killed when a semi carrying peat moss blew through the stop sign on 335 going W/B and in front of the team bus going N/B.

Turn to the SE corner of the intersection and you'll see 6 crosses in memory of a family of 6 killed in 1997, when their pickup blew through the intersection going E/B and slammed into a grain truck going S/B.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/humboldt-broncos-crash-site-intersection-1.4610707

How very sad.  Two large collisions in the same corner, obviously because the stop sign was ignored by an errant driver.

Are there visibility issues in bad weather?

Has the local gov't looked into safety improvements? 4-way stop? Roundabout?

Terry

Quote from: mrsman on December 27, 2019, 11:44:32 AM
Quote from: Terry on December 27, 2019, 01:07:59 AM

How very sad.  Two large collisions in the same corner, obviously because the stop sign was ignored by an errant driver.

Are there visibility issues in bad weather?

Has the local gov't looked into safety improvements? 4-way stop? Roundabout?

In both cases, the weather seemed to be good. The first crash happened in June 1997 and the Broncos crash in April 2018. The GSV photo is dated August 2018, which is why there are wreaths, flowers and people appearing in the shot.

In the 1997 crash, there was a service station at the pullout, which was torn down after that. But the driver of the grain truck saw the pickup coming but never expected it to not stop. In the 2018 crash, there's a stand of trees on the SE corner that would've blocked both drivers from seeing each other until just before the intersection. But, there was nothing blocking the stop signs or any "Stop Ahead" warnings in either direction on 335. Just plain old driver inattention.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/scene-of-broncos-crash-haunted-sask-truckers-for-decades-1.4612253

BamaZeus

We were finally catching up on the Brady Bunch house renovation show on HGTV.  Just for jollies, I pulled up the address on street view just to see, and the camera car went by in the midst of construction in January and May 2019.

You can definitely tell the difference from pre-construction to 2019 and the subtle differences of what we saw on tv.  No sign of any of the actors or the Property Brothers in any of the pics.

https://goo.gl/maps/sxaWN5imWqFjqbNm7

Chris

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on January 17, 2020, 01:38:07 PM
That's INSANE!

It appears the bunny was launched by the Google Car.  It appears in one of the images strewn upon the ground as if it just took a hard landing.

kphoger

I don't know, man.  The European hare can jump 10 to 15 feet in the air.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on January 17, 2020, 03:43:36 PM
I don't know, man.  The European hare can jump 10 to 15 feet in the air.

If that's the case he didn't stick the landing.

NE2

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 17, 2020, 02:09:19 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 17, 2020, 01:38:07 PM
That's INSANE!

It appears the bunny was launched by the Google Car.  It appears in one of the images strewn upon the ground as if it just took a hard landing.
If you look at the sequence of images, that's between being on the ground and being in the air.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CNGL-Leudimin

In the Spanish-speaking internet there is a well known meme of a graffiti saying "Emosido engañado", a badly written form of Hemos sido engañados ("We have been tricked"). Mr. Google managed to get a photo of the original before it was removed.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Rothman on December 12, 2019, 02:10:35 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 12, 2019, 01:06:42 AM
I found something new that's crazy. It's called "Google Timeline," and they make it impossible to fix any errors.
Yeesh.  Checked out mine and it is quite wrong with routes and sometimes locations due to my visiting, say, a regional office of some sort and Google says I went all the way to HQ.
Mine is telling me I went all around Jacksonville, when in reality I got off at US Alternate 1 as well as US 17 over the Trout River, and it's not letting me eliminate roads I didn't go anywhere near.

CNGL-Leudimin

Truckers' jackpot. Any closed weigh station is like lottery won for truckers, but the Banning scales are noriously infamous among them, as they will issue a fine for the most minor scratch.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

cl94

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 22, 2020, 06:35:56 PM
Truckers' jackpot. Any closed weigh station is like lottery won for truckers, but the Banning scales are noriously infamous among them, as they will issue a fine for the most minor scratch.

What? Weigh stations are closed more often than not in much of the United States.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kphoger

Quote from: cl94 on February 22, 2020, 09:26:12 PM

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 22, 2020, 06:35:56 PM

What? Weigh stations are closed more often than not in much of the United States.

Yeah, I could count on two hands the number of open weigh stations I've seen in the last dozen years.
Male pronouns, please.

Throckmorton

The wreck of the Costa Concordia shortly after she was stranded in January, 2012.   

https://goo.gl/maps/3pvLcm31vXmdeWwGA
Proceed with caution

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: kphoger on February 24, 2020, 02:10:11 PM
Quote from: cl94 on February 22, 2020, 09:26:12 PM

Yeah, I could count on two hands the number of open weigh stations I've seen in the last dozen years.

Wow, I guess I had a bad impression from watching too much Big Rig Travels. There's one weigh station down the road from me (although very rare, they aren't unknown here in Europe), and last week I saw it open for the first time ever.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Mr. Matté on August 28, 2019, 09:40:57 PM
As of this past Saturday, I can confirm the Streetview car, at least the one driving around western Monmouth County, NJ, is just a tealish CR-V. It passed by me whilst I was out on my bike twice (once on Millstone Road south of 33 and again on 527 near Millhurst).

Ego stroke update, I was nowhere to be found in the latest rollout (the former location still has 2013 imagery, the latter does have August 2019 but I'm not there).

Verlanka

Quote from: Mr. Matté on February 29, 2020, 06:08:19 PM
As of this past Saturday, I can confirm the Streetview car, at least the one driving around western Monmouth County, NJ, is just a tealish CR-V. It passed by me whilst I was out on my bike twice (once on Millstone Road south of 33 and again on 527 near Millhurst).

Ego stroke update, I was nowhere to be found in the latest rollout (the former location still has 2013 imagery, the latter does have August 2019 but I'm not there).
Guess Google must have edited you out or something.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Verlanka on March 01, 2020, 05:08:17 AM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on February 29, 2020, 06:08:19 PM

Guess Google must have edited you out or something.

Or had gone down the street a few times, especially to get from point A to point B. If the GSV driver lived in the neighborhood or nearby they could possibly be going down the same streets dozens of times to commute to where they need to start recording.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Brian556 on December 19, 2019, 12:49:26 AM
Here, it looks like a driver is about to be hit by a train. However, if you move back or forward you can see that the train is moving away from the crossing. It has 2 locos at the rear, which is odd. The driver just went the second the trailing loco cleared the crossing

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0186666,-86.0742041,3a,25.3y,359.46h,91.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sd627fdeaQBk1oO9IX4WB7w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
I'm not exactly pleased with the fact that they have a railroad crossing at the ramps of an interchange. I was struggling to get FDOT to avoid that once they put an interchange with US 41 and FL 54 in Land O'Lakes.

US 89

Isn't this kind of thing normally against interstate standards? I wonder if ALDOT was able to get away with the I-59 example above because the railroad there is between the at-grades at Cleveland and 5th.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: US 89 on March 06, 2020, 09:22:10 AM
Isn’t this kind of thing normally against interstate standards? I wonder if ALDOT was able to get away with the I-59 example above because the railroad there is between the at-grades at Cleveland and 5th.

I would suspect that was very specifically designed to avoid violations here.  The street between the two local roadways means it's not part of the ramp system for the interchange, even though it clearly functions as part of it.

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.