News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Amarillo population in Potter Co. vs Randall Co.

Started by usends, July 01, 2022, 10:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

Latest census data shows Amarillo population is right about 200k.  But the Potter/Randall county line runs right through the city limits.  So what is the split?  For example, is it roughly 100k in each county?  Or more lopsided than that?  I would think the answer is available somewhere in Census Bureau data, but couldn't find it.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

bwana39

Quote from: usends on July 01, 2022, 10:38:09 AM
Latest census data shows Amarillo population is right about 200k.  But the Potter/Randall county line runs right through the city limits.  So what is the split?  For example, is it roughly 100k in each county?  Or more lopsided than that?  I would think the answer is available somewhere in Census Bureau data, but couldn't find it.

When my kid went through Leadership Amarillo about 15 years ago while at WTAM), it was a given that slightly more were in Randall County (County seat Canyon) versus Potter County (County seat Amarillo). I feel pretty comfortable that it is still the case.
Potter County has a little under a 120K and Amarillo is the only town worth noting.
Randall County has north of 135K but over 13K in Canyon.   

As far as a conclusive numbers, I am stumped too. 
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

usends

Quote from: kphoger on July 01, 2022, 01:52:43 PM
100,202 = Amarillo, Potter County
101,032 = Amarillo, Randall County

Thank you!  I was surprised to learn recently that, overall, the "suburban" county (Randall) is more populous than the "urban" county (Potter).  I saw that Canyon doesn't contribute much in terms of population, so it made me curious about how Amarillo itself breaks down.  Looks like only about 1/3rd of the city limits are in Randall Co, yet (as we now know) it has half of the population.

It's also interesting to note that the county line appears to have been pretty much ignored as Amarillo was developed across it to the south.  It approximately lines up with S. 29th Av, but there are some subdivisions (particularly in the west part of the city) that have no easily-identifiable demarcation corresponding to where the county line cuts through.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Bobby5280

The county line running across Amarillo literally cuts through some yards and even through the middle of some houses and other properties.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.