News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 11

Started by Interstate Trav, April 28, 2011, 12:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate Trav

Another article about Interstate 11.  I know the freeway is decades away, but it looks like it is gaining support.  One thing I don't understand is when people complain about it "Linking Las Vegas and Mexico", is that do these people not know I-15 exists?  I-15 ends barely 12 miles north of the Mexico Border in San Diego at I-5 whcih goes to the Mexico Border.  Also I-15 does go all the way to Canada. 

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/apr/22/mayor-interstate-11-project-could-be-commercial-bo/

NE2

Read that as linking Las Vegas and the major part of Mexico. You wouldn't use I-15 from Las Vegas to get anywhere east of the Colorado.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DTComposer

I'm more confused how I-11 would help get goods from the port at Long Beach to Las Vegas. From the article:

"The interstate would provide for a greater shipping flow of goods from the Southern California ports through the southwest, he said."

Going from Long Beach to Las Vegas via I-15 is 276 miles...going via Phoenix is 658 miles.

Interstate Trav

Quote from: DTComposer on April 28, 2011, 03:55:50 AM
I'm more confused how I-11 would help get goods from the port at Long Beach to Las Vegas. From the article:

"The interstate would provide for a greater shipping flow of goods from the Southern California ports through the southwest, he said."

Going from Long Beach to Las Vegas via I-15 is 276 miles...going via Phoenix is 658 miles.

I'm guessing that person has never opened a map.   Or can't add numbers.  Interstae 11 would actually act as an alternate to Interstate 5 in California.

Interstate Trav

If they extend it to Reno, or further.  It's supposed to be a major trade route partially from a Possible to be built port in Mexico.

national highway 1

Quote from: Interstate Trav on April 28, 2011, 05:19:23 AM
If they extend it to Reno, or further.  It's supposed to be a major trade route partially from a possibly-to-be-built port in Mexico.
Is it the border crossing at Lukeville AZ, on AZ 85?
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Grzrd

Quote from: Interstate Trav on April 28, 2011, 05:18:13 AM
I'm guessing that person has never opened a map.   Or can't add numbers.  Interstae 11 would actually act as an alternate to Interstate 5 in California.
It's supposed to be a major trade route partially from a Possible to be built port in Mexico.
Looking at a map makes me even more confused.
First, this article indicates that the Mexican port that I-11 is supposed to connect to is Punta Colonet:

http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/highway-project-102517649.html

Second, this article indicates that Punta Colonet is intended to compete with Long Beach:

http://www.dredgingtoday.com/2010/12/02/mexico-plan-for-mega-port-at-punta-colonet-moves-ahead/

Here's a link to a map that shows the locations of Punta Colonet (a little northwest of Camalu on the Mexican Pacific coast), Long Beach, Las Vegas, and Phoenix:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=punta+colonet+mexico&aq=&sll=33.782001,-84.415512&sspn=0.381235,0.614548&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Punta+Colonet&ll=33.495598,-115.059814&spn=6.346971,9.832764&z=7

I don't understand how I-11, if extended to Punta Colonet, would help Long Beach in any form or fashion.

Henry

And besides, I-11 is already suffering from "I-73-itis", being further east in the grid than it should be; but at least it will meet I-15 in Vegas.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Quillz

I-71 is also mostly east of where it should be on the grid, but they solved it by having at least some of the route west of I-75. They could possibly take I-11 to Reno, thus having some of it west of I-15.

Of course, with I-99, I-238 and I-73 (as well as the proposed I-3), it seems the grid system isn't being followed all the rigidly anymore.

Interstate Trav

Quote from: ausinterkid on April 28, 2011, 05:44:56 AM
If they extend it to Reno, or further.  It's supposed to be a major trade route partially from a possibly-to-be-built port in Mexico.
Is it the border crossing at Lukeville AZ, on AZ 85?
I don't think so, from the other articles I have read it's supposed to run South then Southeast to Casa Grande, and meet up wiuth I-10 again.  So I'm guessing it's supposed to connect to the border via I-19.

Interstate Trav

Quote from: Grzrd on April 28, 2011, 09:53:40 AM
Quote from: Interstate Trav on April 28, 2011, 05:18:13 AM
I'm guessing that person has never opened a map.   Or can't add numbers.  Interstae 11 would actually act as an alternate to Interstate 5 in California.
It's supposed to be a major trade route partially from a Possible to be built port in Mexico.
Looking at a map makes me even more confused.
First, this article indicates that the Mexican port that I-11 is supposed to connect to is Punta Colonet:

http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/highway-project-102517649.html

Second, this article indicates that Punta Colonet is intended to compete with Long Beach:

http://www.dredgingtoday.com/2010/12/02/mexico-plan-for-mega-port-at-punta-colonet-moves-ahead/

Here's a link to a map that shows the locations of Punta Colonet (a little northwest of Camalu on the Mexican Pacific coast), Long Beach, Las Vegas, and Phoenix:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=punta+colonet+mexico&aq=&sll=33.782001,-84.415512&sspn=0.381235,0.614548&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Punta+Colonet&ll=33.495598,-115.059814&spn=6.346971,9.832764&z=7

I don't understand how I-11, if extended to Punta Colonet, would help Long Beach in any form or fashion.

That makes sense that it's going to compete with Long Beach.  Also looking at the map you sent, the most direct route north is to San Diego to I-5.  Have to cross a lot of land to get inland enough to go through Arizona, only to then drive NorthWest again.

I'm primarily for an Interstate connection for Phoenix and Las Vegas, as it seems to be needed.  If traffic warrants it, then that part I can see.

Interstate Trav

Quote from: Henry on April 28, 2011, 11:04:31 AM
And besides, I-11 is already suffering from "I-73-itis", being further east in the grid than it should be; but at least it will meet I-15 in Vegas.

I always wondered why I-17 got the I-17 designation, why not I-19?  To leave a number open between Phoenix and Los Angeles, for a North and South Interstate.   It's almost as if they never planned for any Interstate between I-15 and I-17.

Quillz

What I wish they would have done was just combine I-17 and I-19 into one long intrastate, via concurrency between Phoenix and Tucson. I drew up a map not too long ago that had a fictional Interstate from Las Vegas southeast to Nogales that would have used the US-93, I-17 and I-19 corridors. The entire thing could have been a much longer I-17, with the segment from approximately Wickenburg to Flagstaff becoming I-117.

It just seems having both I-17 and I-19 in the same state is a huge waste. And for the very reason being future expansion... Now, you either have to break the grid system by having I-11 out of place, or you just upgrade already existing highways and don't sign them as Interstates.

Alps

I think I-17 was conceived before I-19? Of course, that doesn't explain why 17 wasn't extended down 10.

Quillz

I-19 came in the 1970s, IIRC. I'm pretty sure of this because when it was built all the guide signs were in metric units, as there was a huge push for metrification during the 1970s, and it wasn't until 1999 that some of the signs started to get replaced.

national highway 1

Quote from: Quillz on April 28, 2011, 01:47:32 PM
I-71 is also mostly east of where it should be on the grid, but they solved it by having at least some of the route west of I-75. They could possibly take I-11 to Reno, thus having some of it west of I-15.

Of course, with I-99, I-238 and I-73 (as well as the proposed I-3), it seems the grid system isn't being followed all the rigidly anymore.

And I-74.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

AZDude

I-11 could end at the US 95/Clark County 215/Future I-215 interchange instead of just at I-15.  It would at least put it west of I-15 and it would still follow the rule of connecting to an interstate at each end.

And just so that no one gets confused...  I-11 would continue along the US 95 freeway (the section that is not part of I-515) and would end where Clark County 215 and US 95 meet.

roadfro

^ That would put maybe 20 miles of I-11 west of I-15, but there'd still be nearly 300 miles of it that would violate the grid...

If the grander scheme for I-11 comes into play, with I-11 extending northward via US 95, then the violation wouldn't be as egregious. But that is much further off than the Vegas-to-Phoenix proposal...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

froggie

A note on I-17 and I-19:  both routes were part of the system approved in 1947.  Though at the time, I-17's routing was proposed along today's AZ 89 corridor between Wickenburg and Ash Fork.  I-17's realignment further east (as well as I-10's move to a more direct line between Phoenix and Quartzsite) came later.

Alps

I checked my 1957 and 1958 plans (well, not mine per se, but on my site) and sure enough yes, they're both on both.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Quillz on April 29, 2011, 01:41:34 AMI-19 came in the 1970s, IIRC. I'm pretty sure of this because when it was built all the guide signs were in metric units, as there was a huge push for metrification during the 1970s, and it wasn't until 1999 that some of the signs started to get replaced.

I-19 was built in the 1960's and 1970's, but was planned well before then.  The original signs weren't actually metric.  There were a few small signing jobs which installed signs in English units (I have a copy of the plans for one of them).  It is also likely that I-19 had temporary signs installed in advance of a permanent signing contract, as was done for other Interstates in Arizona.  The metric conversion was done through a single contract in 1980.

Wikipedia has the details.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Grzrd

Quote from: roadfro on July 14, 2009, 06:00:29 AM
IMO, it doesn't need to be an Interstate.  I see no problem with keeping it as US 93, as its already part of the CANAMEX high-priority corridor.
Above from "New Push for I-11" thread.

Quote from: Grzrd on April 28, 2011, 09:53:40 AM
the Mexican port that I-11 is supposed to connect to is Punta Colonet
Here's an article talking about the relationship between the Phoenix-Las Vegas segment of proposed I-11 and the CANAMEX Corridor; again, the connection to the proposed Punta Colonet port in Mexico figures prominently:

http://tucsoncitizen.com/national-news/2011/05/16/planners-see-value-in-canamex-corridor-for-southwest-valley/

"...The route would begin at a potential deep-water port in Punta Colonet, Mexico, where goods from Asia would begin their journey to the Valley before being transformed or sorted and moved again..."

The article refers to I-11 and CANAMEX as competing corridors (in a limited sense):

"The Canamex route would consist of four-lane roads and would pretty much follow existing roadways and rail.
In Arizona, the highway would follow:
-Interstate 19 from Nogales to Tucson.
-Interstate 10 from Tucson to Maricopa County.
-The connection between I-10 in the Valley to U.S. 93 is uncertain.
-But moving freight in the Southwest Valley to Wickenburg Road and then to Vulture Mine Road to the Wickenburg Bypass Southern Loop and then to U.S. 93 is the route favored by the Canamex Coalition.
However, there is a competing corridor that doesn't exist yet called Interstate 11 that would run through Buckeye east of Wickenburg Road..."

Here is a map that shows the locations of Wickenburg Road/Vulture Mine Road and "through Buckeye east of Wickenburg Road":

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Buckeye,+AZ&aq=0&sll=33.812549,-84.382287&sspn=0.189694,0.307274&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Buckeye,+Maricopa,+Arizona&ll=33.533382,-112.644196&spn=0.38062,0.614548&z=11

I am not familiar with CANAMEX Corridor. Is it safe to say that, aside from above minor discrepancy, CANAMEX and I-11 are the same corridor from Las Vegas southward?

Alps

It seems like I-11 would follow AZ 85 south to a completely different border crossing.

roadfro

Quote from: Grzrd on May 24, 2011, 06:15:08 AM
I am not familiar with CANAMEX Corridor. Is it safe to say that, aside from above minor discrepancy, CANAMEX and I-11 are the same corridor from Las Vegas southward?

The original CANAMEX corridor in the United States was defined to run from Mexico to Vegas following I-19, I-10, and US 93--the necessary connection between I-10 and US 93 was not explicitly defined.  First mentions of the proposed I-11 corridor initially relied upon a currently unconstructed route (proposed Hassayampa Freeway?) to connect the western suburbs of Phoenix near I-10 to US 93--there was little talk of extending I-11 south beyond Phoenix initially.

FWIW: North of Las Vegas, the CANAMEX corridor follows I-15 northward into Utah, Idaho and Montana towards Canada. The grander scheme for I-11 would have it following the US 95 corridor northward through Nevada and into Oregon and beyond.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

2Co5_14

Quote from: Interstate Trav on April 28, 2011, 02:43:05 PM

I always wondered why I-17 got the I-17 designation, why not I-19?  To leave a number open between Phoenix and Los Angeles, for a North and South Interstate.   It's almost as if they never planned for any Interstate between I-15 and I-17.
It looks like an obvious oversight now, but remember how undeveloped the desert southwest was back when the Interstate system was being planned and numbered.  From the 1950 census, the population of Phoenix was 107,000 and Las Vegas was only 25,000.  It would be hard to imagine those cities growing by 1300% and 2000% in the space of 50 years!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.