News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mountain West / Re: New Mexico
Last post by Plutonic Panda - Today at 09:26:08 PM
Oh, man, oh man.... did I mention that NMDOT needs to get their shit together? They had a lane of I 40 closed With no construction workers and nothing going on at five p m. That was heading westbound on I 40 near tucumcari. It caused about a five mile back up. Fortunately, I was heading eastbound. But that is ridiculous. New mexico really just doesn't give a fuck.

I don't think they're adding a lane. It's just either a repaying or a mill and grade.
Traffic Control / Re: Unique, Odd, or Interestin...
Last post by 74/171FAN - Today at 09:21:38 PM
Some signage south of the I-81/VA 100 interchange in Dublin. (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10220223029166423&set=a.10220223118848665)

On I-81 SB approaching US 60 in Lexington, VA (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10220223024166298&set=a.10220223118848665)

Northeast / Re: US 202 Sinkhole Around Kin...
Last post by 74/171FAN - Today at 09:05:04 PM
Quote from: vdeane on Today at 08:54:50 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on Today at 08:11:27 PM(For US 202 and PA 29)  PennDOT - District 6 News: Sinkhole Repair Continues on U.S. 202 North (Dekalb Pike) in King of Prussia

QuoteA comprehensive sinkhole remediation project for U.S. 202 (Dekalb Pike), and for Route 29 (Morehall Road) in East Whiteland Township, Chester County, is scheduled to be advertised for construction this summer.
Does this have anything to do with that stretch that Google says is closed until April 2025?  And to think I wanted to clinch US 202 in PA this year...

No, you are referring to the SB alignment in Norristown.

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 29, 2024, 03:09:53 PM(For US 202 SB)  PennDOT - District 6 News: Bridge Rehabilitation to Begin on Markley Street, Elm Street Bridge Over Stony Creek in Norristown - Bridge to close Monday, April 15 through April 2025
Northeast / Re: US 202 Sinkhole Around Kin...
Last post by vdeane - Today at 08:54:50 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on Today at 08:11:27 PM(For US 202 and PA 29)  PennDOT - District 6 News: Sinkhole Repair Continues on U.S. 202 North (Dekalb Pike) in King of Prussia

QuoteA comprehensive sinkhole remediation project for U.S. 202 (Dekalb Pike), and for Route 29 (Morehall Road) in East Whiteland Township, Chester County, is scheduled to be advertised for construction this summer.
Does this have anything to do with that stretch that Google says is closed until April 2025?  And to think I wanted to clinch US 202 in PA this year...
Off-Topic / Re: My idea for US currency re...
Last post by kalvado - Today at 08:48:55 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on Today at 08:34:17 PMSimply put, changing something that's been normal practice for centuries wouldn't garner much American popular support, nor even substantial Congressional support.
Few things people basically agree with:
- penny isn't worth enough
- $1 bills don't last too long as their value is down and they go back and forth a lot.

Those could be acted upon, actually Canada survives with $1 and $2 coins but without a penny just fine.
Everything else is "if it's not broken..."
Mid-Atlantic / Re: West Virginia Turnpike
Last post by GCrites - Today at 08:47:49 PM
I've noticed it really is a matter of perspective. Ohio has suburbs that have more people than Charleston yet people in New York City see the entire state of Ohio as insignificant. Like how everyone in West Virgina knows where Gilbert is even though it only has 500 people.

One of the main ideas behind metrics is to eliminate perspective and think in terms of cold hard numbers.
Last post by ilpt4u - Today at 08:46:29 PM
Round to the nearest quarter. 13s and 63s round down. 38s and 88s round up (notice: all "tied" rounds end at even dollars or half dollars, intentionally). Part of me thinks the nearest half-dollar, but the prevalence of the current quarter over the 50cent piece keeps me glued to the quarter. The penny, nickle, and dime had their run. Make it legal to scrap them immediately if one so chooses or as deposited to banks they go away after whatever lenght transition period is approved

Coins: Quarter. Dollar. 2Dollar.

Bills: 5, 10, 20, 50, 100

I'd almost rather see a $25 bill and make the $20 go away, but I don't think enough is gained to make that change worth it
Off-Topic / Re: New Oklahoma City Skyscrap...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 08:45:46 PM
Sure, but the Penn Square bank failures had more to do with the oil industry than real estate.
Last post by epzik8 - Today at 08:34:17 PM
Simply put, changing something that's been normal practice for centuries wouldn't garner much American popular support, nor even substantial Congressional support.
Off-Topic / Re: New Oklahoma City Skyscrap...
Last post by brad2971 - Today at 08:30:23 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on Today at 08:05:25 PMNot going to happen for the simple reason that OKC-area banks are notoriously risk-averse (there are virtually no five-over-ones in the OKC area because the banks consider it a risky, unproven venture despite them existing in practically every other US city). Non-OKC area banks generally don't like to invest in OKC-area projects because formulas used to calculate ROI elsewhere in the country don't return realistic results due to OKC's low density. (This is also why many national chains don't have locations in OKC.)

Considering the cascading effects of the Penn Square Bank failure on the banking system back in 1982, those OKC-area banks are right to be risk-averse. Yes, while it may seem that sense in certain areas of the country may be short, it's not too bad to have memories that are long. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.