News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

Quote from: AMLNet49 on July 13, 2016, 03:48:15 AM
Quote from: mass_citizen on July 13, 2016, 01:00:57 AM
If public opinion will never change then shouldn't they listen to it? Sometimes traffic engineers forget their duty is to the public and that includes listening to public feedback even if it goes against their academic theory. Someone needs to do an intrinsic cost benefit analysis and if resident concerns regarding rural character, nostalgia, business advertising change costs, etc. are more important than some person without GPS wondering how many miles it is to their next exit then maybe they should just bite the bullet and give in to the public demand. To be honest the whole benefit of this exit number change thing is really diminished nowadays which is why the average person out there just doesn't get it. Either you are familiar with the area and you really don't need the exit-mileage information or you don't live around there and you have gps. I would liken it to food and gas service signs which are similarly becoming obsolete.
Some might say that. I'm just saying MassDOT should make up their minds on it, decide to or decide not to. Personally, I would like it to happen but I wouldn't have a huge problem with them keeping the current numbers. I do hope that they would continue with the plan to add numbers to MA-28 and MA-57, but it seems unlikely unless they decide to go for mileage-based.
Do people honestly care enough about either of those two highways to want exit numbers?

On 28 most people are going straight through to Falmouth.  On 57 everyone takes "the exit for Six Flags".

KEVIN_224

Something odd I just noticed, crossing over the Deefield River on I-91 North in Franklin County: on either side of the reconstructed Deerfield River bridge, they installed some 1/10 mile markers. They look just like ones further up the interstate in Vermont. The road is also repaved up to about mile marker 40, a good mile north of the bridge.

EDIT: The mile markers looked like the Vermont version. This is from the I-91 overpass in White River Junction, where US Route 5 passes under. This is a short distance north of the I-89 junction:

vdeane

The "Vermont version" is actually the standard MUTCD version.  It is my understanding that many jurisdictions are replacing their tenth mile markers with either these or the "enhanced" version with the shield and direction on them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on July 14, 2016, 01:12:50 PM
The "Vermont version" is actually the standard MUTCD version.  It is my understanding that many jurisdictions are replacing their tenth mile markers with either these or the "enhanced" version with the shield and direction on them.

Correct. Ohio and Kentucky have had them in urban areas for a while, except they were blue and almost always in the medians. NYSDOT R5 and R9 have mostly replaced theirs and I'm pretty sure I remember seeing them in R3. R1s still look like the ones in the picture above  (old ones have the tenth in green on white, oldest without decimal points).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

R1 is using the standard MUTCD markers and reserving the "enhanced" ones for full miles on the Northway.  R3, R5, and R9 use the enhanced tenths (R5 switched to them; R3 had a blue version; R9 previously didn't use tenth mile markers).  R8 just changed the color on their markers.  No idea what R4 is doing; many tenth mile markers are missing, but I may have seen a few new ones in their traditional style.  R6 and R7 don't use tenth mile markers and R2, R10, and R11 don't use any mile markers at all.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on July 14, 2016, 07:36:45 PM
No idea what R4 is doing

Given a couple of key retirements in Region 4 in the past couple of years, Region 4 has no idea what it's doing! (personal opinion expressed)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

shadyjay

Drove I-495 from the Mass Pike up to I-93 earlier today.  Noticed the construction that was going on last year northbound at MA 2 resulted in creation of a c/d lane.  Construction crews had the left lane blocked in each direction, which caused a minimum backup for me northbound, but a substantial backup southbound.  New signage is in place as well through the interchange.  Didn't get any shots of the signage, though.  It kinda snuck up on me!

cl94

R1 is using the standard MUTCD markers and reserving the "enhanced" ones for full miles on the Northway.  R3, R5, and R9 use the enhanced tenths (R5 switched to them; R3 had a blue version; R9 previously didn't use tenth mile markers).  R8 just changed the color on their markers.  No idea what R4 is doing; many tenth mile markers are missing, but I may have seen a few new ones in their traditional style.  R6 and R7 don't use tenth mile markers and R2, R10, and R11 don't use any mile markers at all.

R7 switched to the new style for their markers. R8 just installed tenth mile markers on I-84 to replace the NYSTA ones and they are their standard style. Driving through yesterday, I noticed that they put in RMs and tenth mile markers east of the Taconic.

As far as other states, CT uses the enhanced style for full miles now. Saw a few on CT 8 yesterday after clinching MA 8.

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2016, 09:28:07 AM
No idea what R4 is doing

Given a couple of key retirements in Region 4 in the past couple of years, Region 4 has no idea what it's doing! (personal opinion expressed)

At least they've jumped on the FYA train and are keeping up with the MUTCD. R5 just stopped using four-section bimodal arrows.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Rothman

In other news, it's been a while since I headed back to the town where I grew up in Massachusetts.  The "new" overhead signage on I-91 at MA 9 threw me off quite a bit.

Also saw the FYAs at MA 116 / MA 47 in Sunderland and at US 5 / MA 10 / MA 116, where MA 116 heads off to Conway from Deerfield.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on July 18, 2016, 09:05:04 PM

R7 switched to the new style for their markers. R8 just installed tenth mile markers on I-84 to replace the NYSTA ones and they are their standard style. Driving through yesterday, I noticed that they put in RMs and tenth mile markers east of the Taconic.

As far as other states, CT uses the enhanced style for full miles now. Saw a few on CT 8 yesterday after clinching MA 8.

No idea what R4 is doing

At least they've jumped on the FYA train and are keeping up with the MUTCD. R5 just stopped using four-section bimodal arrows.
Does R7 now use tenth mile markers?  I only remember them having full mile markers when I was last there, which have been in the "enhanced" style for years now (since I was in high school, actually).  Almost all the regions have at least one enhanced full milemarker somewhere; of the regions that don't, Region 6 is the only one that has milemarkers period.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on July 19, 2016, 12:55:05 PM

No idea what R4 is doing

Does R7 now use tenth mile markers?  I only remember them having full mile markers when I was last there, which have been in the "enhanced" style for years now (since I was in high school, actually).  Almost all the regions have at least one enhanced full milemarker somewhere; of the regions that don't, Region 6 is the only one that has milemarkers period.

Not that I know of, but few rural areas do in this country. Only region that does is R5, which has them on I-86. Hell, R1's stop at the Warren-Saratoga line and it's still bedroom community for a few miles.

mass_citizen

not to be that guy but could we leave the NY discussion out of the MA thread? I am getting alerts to updates on this thread only to find that its about NY.

Thanks

cl94

I have a question: does MassDOT have any standards regarding speed limit changes? I was on Route 8 the other day and there were a couple sections where the limit changed 3-4 times in a mile, with no advanced warning for any of them, even drops of 20+.

roadman

Quote from: cl94 on July 19, 2016, 02:24:53 PM
I have a question: does MassDOT have any standards regarding speed limit changes? I was on Route 8 the other day and there were a couple sections where the limit changed 3-4 times in a mile, with no advanced warning for any of them, even drops of 20+.

This should answer your questions:  http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/8/docs/traffic/speedZoning_0512.pdf
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on July 19, 2016, 01:08:05 PM
Quote from: vdeane on July 19, 2016, 12:55:05 PM

No idea what R4 is doing

Not that I know of, but few rural areas do in this country. Only region that does is R5, which has them on I-86. Hell, R1's stop at the Warren-Saratoga line and it's still bedroom community for a few miles.
One last reply (as per mass_citizen): R4 has them in rural areas (as does the Thruway, Taconic (except Columbia County), and I-84; I-81 in R9 now has half mile markers).

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on July 19, 2016, 02:24:53 PM
Yes. Every time an advisory speed should be posted, expect a speed limit.

mariethefoxy

Route 2 has that too on the far end after teh freeway ends

cl94

Quote from: mariethefoxy on July 19, 2016, 10:48:49 PM
Route 2 has that too on the far end after teh freeway ends

You referring to the hairpin just east of North Adams?

mariethefoxy

nope, it was past Athol but not past 91

MVHighways

Sorry this totally diverges from the topic at hand, but the I-93 Exit 46 Methuen Rotary reconstruction is moving along quite well. As of yesterday afternoon, some signs were installed and are uncovered, and that combined with paving being worked on, traffic lights being installed, and new signage posts with every day's changes being predictable but unpredictable, leads me to think that at least one ramp will be opening very soon (maybe in the next 7 days) with a good portion done by the end of the summer. A portable VMS that was just brought in saying "New I-93 Onramp - Opening Soon" further enhances this, and the MassDOT site says one of the activities is to open the new NB on-ramp but it looks like the SB on-ramp from 110/113 East is also very close. There was also a sign that is brand new posted on 113 East that I couldn't get a photo of, and various masts are being assembled. Right now it seems to be at a "something new daily" pace that will probably culminate in a massive traffic jam the day a new ramp opens, particularly the new NB on-ramp. I'll divide my video into further pics soon but this is 110 EB as 113 EB merges with it. https://youtu.be/Y1Qos2VsvPA

This morning I think they opened a new ramp (EB to SB), per a tweet from Methuen Police's Scott Lever: https://twitter.com/OffLever/status/755726872374280192/photo/1 Hopefully I can confirm but that pic looks different than the setup from my video last night.

(Wasn't there a thread on this project when construction first began in 2014?)

roadman

QuoteHopefully I can confirm but that pic looks different than the setup from my video last night
@1:36 - Same signs, different angle in video.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

MVHighways

Quote from: roadman on July 20, 2016, 02:32:32 PM
QuoteHopefully I can confirm but that pic looks different than the setup from my video last night
I know those are the same signs, but it appears some traffic cones were put in the middle of the current (now old?) alignment. The right lane was clearly not half blocked off in the video yesterday. I might be headed up that way today and if I do, I'll pull out my camera again. At just prior to 1:36, you can see two lanes are open, but in Officer Lever's photo, that right lane is clearly coned over as a temporary access to what looks like the new EB to SB ramp.

More to come, but they are doing a really good job at keeping traffic normal throughout much of the project.

(UPDATE 5:48 pm: No new ramps open, but a small portion of new pavement did open that makes "new traffic pattern" accurate. Video soon.)

bob7374

Quote from: MVHighways on July 20, 2016, 03:39:12 PM
I know those are the same signs, but it appears some traffic cones were put in the middle of the current (now old?) alignment. The right lane was clearly not half blocked off in the video yesterday. I might be headed up that way today and if I do, I'll pull out my camera again. At just prior to 1:36, you can see two lanes are open, but in Officer Lever's photo, that right lane is clearly coned over as a temporary access to what looks like the new EB to SB ramp.

More to come, but they are doing a really good job at keeping traffic normal throughout much of the project.

(UPDATE 5:48 pm: No new ramps open, but a small portion of new pavement did open that makes "new traffic pattern" accurate. Video soon.)
Based on the video, I see the first I-93 travel time sign southbound has been installed as well.

MVHighways

Quote from: bob7374 on July 21, 2016, 12:14:51 AM
Quote from: MVHighways on July 20, 2016, 03:39:12 PM

Based on the video, I see the first I-93 travel time sign southbound has been installed as well.
Yes, that is the case. It's been there for a few weeks now.

BREAKING NEWS - PROJECT UPDATE - 6:30 PM: Per MassDOT the new northbound onramp opens July 30. Otherwise, the rotary alignment stays the same for now. VMS's will be put up east and west of the rotary to alert drivers. http://methuenrotary.mhd.state.ma.us/

MVHighways

So, the new 93 NB on-ramp at Exit 46 in Methuen opened this morning. There are numerous VMS's in the area to guide drivers to the new ramp. Temporary signals at the end of the underpasses with new road going under 93 indicate many new sections will likely be opening in the coming months (access to SB from WB and WB from NB while clover ramps are being built?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiJZQStKAzA

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.