News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Area Codes in the Wrong LATA

Started by Dirt Roads, December 14, 2022, 10:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

The area code renumbering subthread got me wondering...

We live in the only exchange location in the Greensboro region (LATA 424) that is not in Area Code 336.  Until the early 2000s, Mebane had its own mom-and-pop phone company that successfully fought the need to switchover from Area Code 919 back in 1993 when the remainder was established as Area Code 910.  How many other LATAs have more than one area code?

jp the roadgeek

Greenwich is the only town in CT that is part of the NY Metro (LATA 132) and not CT (LATA 920).  The reason is that Greenwich was part of NY Telephone (now Verizon) while the rest of CT was part of SNET (now Frontier).  Greenwich is part of the 203 area code (and always has been, even post- 203/860 split) and not part of the 914 area code which is in most surrounding areas across the NY border. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jgb191

We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

-- US 175 --

zachary_amaryllis

Did anyone do call-forwarding tricks back in the day?

We used to have a system using call-forwarding to call distant BBS's, via a city that was local to two cities that were LD from each other.

Fort Collins can call Berthoud. Berthoud can call Longmont. Long Distance from Foco to Longmont.

The guy with the BBS in Berthoud, had a menu. Select a board in Longmont, and the Berthoud board would disconnect you, and tell you to dial back in 30 seconds. During that 30 seconds, the board's modem did the call-forwarding codes, and when you call back, you're connected to Longmont. 30 seconds later, the Berthoud board undoes the call forwarding, and is ready for another call. It didn't disconnect the forwarded call.

We had a similar arrangement via Windsor, to Greeley.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Dirt Roads on December 14, 2022, 10:35:05 PM

We live in the only exchange location in the Greensboro region (LATA 424) that is not in Area Code 336.  Until the early 2000s, Mebane had its own mom-and-pop phone company that successfully fought the need to switchover from Area Code 919 back in 1993 when the remainder was established as Area Code 910.  How many other LATAs have more than one area code?

There are no LATAs that are based in Area Code 219 (NW Indiana).  Most of 219 is in the South Bend LATA (332), while the cities along the Illinois border that have Ameritech as their phone company are part of the Chicago LATA (358).  Prior to the AT&T breakup, these cities were in Illinois Bell territory, not Indiana Bell.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

US 89

Quote from: Dirt Roads on December 14, 2022, 10:35:05 PM

Most of Utah is in a single LATA, which also apparently includes northwestern Arizona and some of the Nevada border towns along the east edge like Mesquite and Wendover. That means that LATA contains all of area codes 801/385 (Wasatch Front), the vast majority of 435 (remainder of Utah), part of 928 (northern/western Arizona), and small portions of 702/725 (Clark County, NV) and 775 (remainder of Nevada).

KeithE4Phx

A good place to start checking all things phone-related is here:  https://www.localcallingguide.com/lca_prefix.php

Here is the list for the Utah LATA, 660.  It includes most of Utah, plus Colorado City, Littlefield, and Fredonia AZ, and Mesquite and Wendover NV.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.