News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Thrilling Rollercoasters

Started by MultiMillionMiler, November 26, 2022, 03:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 26, 2022, 09:46:22 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 26, 2022, 09:09:59 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 26, 2022, 09:06:04 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 26, 2022, 09:02:07 PM
Were your secondary reasons South of the Border and the most direct Interstate route to the Florence Buc-ee's?

No, I flew.
JFK to Charlotte.
But I was on I-77 and I-485 once there.

Ironic for someone with ambitious to drive more than 2,000,000 miles.

I wanted to get on the ride, didn't do it for the driving.

You aren't getting to 2,000,000 miles behind the wheel with that attitude. 

roadman65

You say you've been on Space Mountain.  The last time I rode it I recall lots of curves on it and one drop over 7 percent. 

You must of hated that experience.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

epzik8

The Super Dooper Looper and Comet at Hersheypark have both provided relatives and friends of mine with infamous moments. My dad and brothers got stuck at the end of the Looper (my mom and I had sat it out after riding it once, but they couldn't stop riding it that day), and one of my classmates told me a story about throwing up after riding the Comet once.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: epzik8 on November 27, 2022, 07:15:51 AM
The Super Dooper Looper and Comet at Hersheypark have both provided relatives and friends of mine with infamous moments. My dad and brothers got stuck at the end of the Looper (my mom and I had sat it out after riding it once, but they couldn't stop riding it that day), and one of my classmates told me a story about throwing up after riding the Comet once.

I don't go on upside down rides.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: roadman65 on November 27, 2022, 06:43:42 AM
You say you've been on Space Mountain.  The last time I rode it I recall lots of curves on it and one drop over 7 percent. 

You must of hated that experience.

Fury 325's drop is 81 degrees.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

But you're afraid of the curves on the PA Turnpike.  :rolleyes:

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 27, 2022, 12:53:49 PM

Rothman

Not sure that your opinion on roller coasters is well-founded, then.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 27, 2022, 02:51:35 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 27, 2022, 01:12:55 PM

The best ones don't go upside down. Ones over 200 feet usually don't have inversions. Loops are the Pennsylvania Turnpike of rides for me.

How are we supposed to take your rankings as unbiased if your criterion is so narrow?  Doesn't the not just make you a "paper expert"  on rollercoasters?  To me it just sounds as though you can't get out of comfort zone with rollercoasters just as you can't with roads. 

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 27, 2022, 02:55:21 PM

The best ones don't go upside down. Ones over 200 feet usually don't have inversions. Loops are the Pennsylvania Turnpike of rides for me.

How are we supposed to take your rankings as unbiased if your criterion is so narrow?  Doesn't the not just make you a "paper expert"  on rollercoasters?  To me it just sounds as though you can't get out of comfort zone with rollercoasters just as you can't with roads.

Yeah, I guess my totally biased and unfounded opinions are why Fury325 won the International Golden Ticket Awards 6 times in a row after it opened.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 27, 2022, 03:11:28 PM

Yeah, I guess my totally biased and unfounded opinions are why Fury325 won the International Golden Ticket Awards 6 times in a row after it opened.

So your opinions on rollercoasters are just of the populist variety?

skluth

My favorite coaster is Millennium Force at Cedar Point. CP is Nirvana for coaster enthusiasts. King's Island near Cincinnati is also a great coaster park with the Beast being the main attraction. I also like Six Flags St Louis, having lived there for almost three decades; The Boss is great and has almost a mile of track. Disney is more about theming and family fun than coasters but Test Track at Epcot - while not technically a coaster - is great fun.

MultiMillionMiler

Well I did go on Fury325 about 100 times, so from personal experience I agree with the ranking.

skluth

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 27, 2022, 03:13:51 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 27, 2022, 03:11:28 PM

So your opinions on rollercoasters are just of the populist variety?

No, just of the unscientific survey variety

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: skluth on November 27, 2022, 03:16:12 PM
My favorite coaster is Millennium Force at Cedar Point. CP is Nirvana for coaster enthusiasts. King's Island near Cincinnati is also a great coaster park with the Beast being the main attraction. I also like Six Flags St Louis, having lived there for almost three decades; The Boss is great and has almost a mile of track. Disney is more about theming and family fun than coasters but Test Track at Epcot - while not technically a coaster - is great fun.

Haven't been on that yet but that's a great choice for a favorite. I was considering going there for my trip instead of carowinds but since Fury325 was taller, faster, steeper, and longer I figured it would be slightly better and I was right! I read top thrill dragster is shut down permanently after multiple malfunctions.

CoreySamson

My favorite coasters of all time are probably the Superman and Wonder Woman coasters at Six Flags Over Texas. Man, that was a fun day...
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

skluth

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 27, 2022, 03:20:15 PM
Quote from: skluth on November 27, 2022, 03:16:12 PM

Haven't been on that yet but that's a great choice for a favorite. I was considering going there for my trip instead of carowinds but since Fury325 was taller, faster, steeper, and longer I figured it would be slightly better and I was right! I read top thrill dragster is shut down permanently after multiple malfunctions.

Top Thrill Dragster was actually a bit of a bore, especially if you've been on other instant-start coasters. I rode it once and never again bothered. There are several better coasters at Cedar Point.

MultiMillionMiler

Same with Kingda ka. There's a reason those two never make into even the top 20 despite breaking height/speed records.

Rothman

At this point, your experience is so limited that  your opinion has no broad application.

A healthier perspective for you would be: "I really liked Fury 325 and look forward to riding more costers to see if the rankings are right.  Someday, I'll start going upside-down..."

I mean, my son loved Gemini at Cedar Point and rode it a bunch of times (great coaster), but he's not so naive to say it's the absolute best one in the world, since he knows there are a ton he hasn't ridden.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

I used to like the effects of Chaos, at the long defunct Opryland In Nashville.  Not a thrill ride but neat effects that created thrill.

Maybe not what the OP was looking for as I said it on my own experience and not what a Rollercoaster mag rates it, but I remember this experience well. 😂

Sheryl Crowe

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Rothman on November 27, 2022, 04:49:45 PM

At this point, your experience is so limited that  your opinion has no broad application.

A healthier perspective for you would be: "I really liked Fury 325 and look forward to riding more costers to see if the rankings are right.  Someday, I'll start going upside-down..."

I mean, my son loved Gemini at Cedar Point and rode it a bunch of times (great coaster), but he's not so naive to say it's the absolute best one in the world, since he knows there are a ton he hasn't ridden.

Quite frankly there aren't any rides with better specs. All the rides with higher height and speed specs are launched and last around 30 seconds.

As shown in this video even the most popular coaster enthusiasts who have ridden thousands of coasters throughout the world think this is the best one.

roadman65

Are you pointing out that you are comparing notes about roller coaster for this thread or for it to be rumor or facts to what the public thinks is best ride?

Sheryl Crowe

thenetwork

King's Island...The Beast...At night in the dark...'Nuff Said!

<Mic Drop>

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: thenetwork on November 27, 2022, 10:25:12 PM
King's Island...The Beast...At night in the dark...'Nuff Said!

<Mic Drop>

Better than Orion?

jgb191

Quote from: CoreySamson on November 27, 2022, 03:24:52 PM
My favorite coasters of all time are probably the Superman and Wonder Woman coasters at Six Flags Over Texas. Man, that was a fun day...

If you're talking about Superman: Tower of Power, that is not a coaster per say, it's a 325-ft tall launched tower.

My favorite coaster is the Titan at that same park.  The Titan combines the gliding sensation in the first three drops and G-forces in the pair of helixes.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.