News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Thrilling Rollercoasters

Started by MultiMillionMiler, November 26, 2022, 03:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 27, 2022, 07:33:23 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 27, 2022, 04:49:45 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 27, 2022, 02:51:35 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 27, 2022, 01:12:55 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 27, 2022, 12:53:49 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on November 27, 2022, 07:15:51 AM
The Super Dooper Looper and Comet at Hersheypark have both provided relatives and friends of mine with infamous moments. My dad and brothers got stuck at the end of the Looper (my mom and I had sat it out after riding it once, but they couldn't stop riding it that day), and one of my classmates told me a story about throwing up after riding the Comet once.

I don't go on upside down rides.
Not sure that your opinion on roller coasters is well-founded, then.

The best ones don't go upside down. Ones over 200 feet usually don't have inversions. Loops are the Pennsylvania Turnpike of rides for me.
At this point, your experience is so limited that  your opinion has no broad application.

A healthier perspective for you would be: "I really liked Fury 325 and look forward to riding more costers to see if the rankings are right.  Someday, I'll start going upside-down..."

I mean, my son loved Gemini at Cedar Point and rode it a bunch of times (great coaster), but he's not so naive to say it's the absolute best one in the world, since he knows there are a ton he hasn't ridden.

Quite frankly there aren't any rides with better specs. All the rides with higher height and speed specs are launched and last around 30 seconds.

As shown in this video even the most popular coaster enthusiasts who have ridden thousands of coasters throughout the world think this is the best one.

Right, but they have experience and you don't.  And, given your strict preferences, it's highly likely there is another coaster out there that could please you more.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MultiMillionMiler

We'll see. As I said I get bored with most rollercoasters after 4-5 times riding it, but this one I literally rode for 12 hours straight and it was still fun by the end of the day. By the 2nd day of the trip it got a little boring. Line pass was worth the money for this one.

doorknob60

Fury 325 is awesome, my second favorite coaster I've been on. For a totally different take on the giga coaster concept, try Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion, focuses on positive Gs and quick transitions instead of larger elements and airtime (it's #4 in my rankings). My favorite is Steel Vengeance at Cedar Point.

MultiMillionMiler

Yep, steel vengeance often comes in at #2 or #3 in the golden ticket awards. Looks very fun but I wouldn't want to go upside down so..

CoreySamson

Quote from: jgb191 on November 28, 2022, 01:30:55 AM
Quote from: CoreySamson on November 27, 2022, 03:24:52 PM
My favorite coasters of all time are probably the Superman and Wonder Woman coasters at Six Flags Over Texas. Man, that was a fun day...

If you're talking about Superman: Tower of Power, that is not a coaster per say, it's a 325-ft tall launched tower.

My favorite coaster is the Titan at that same park.  The Titan combines the gliding sensation in the first three drops and G-forces in the pair of helixes.
Whoops, I meant Six Flags Fiesta Texas.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Rothman

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 28, 2022, 10:02:37 AM
We'll see. As I said I get bored with most rollercoasters after 4-5 times riding it, but this one I literally rode for 12 hours straight and it was still fun by the end of the day. By the 2nd day of the trip it got a little boring. Line pass was worth the money for this one.
You haven't ridden enough roller coasters to say you get bored with most of them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: doorknob60 on November 28, 2022, 12:23:57 PM
Fury 325 is awesome, my second favorite coaster I've been on. For a totally different take on the giga coaster concept, try Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion, focuses on positive Gs and quick transitions instead of larger elements and airtime (it's #4 in my rankings). My favorite is Steel Vengeance at Cedar Point.
Steel Vengeance is a great coaster.  Love RMCs, myself.  Wicked Cyclone at Six Flags New England is an incredible conversion of the old classic Cyclone, with neat hang time elements.  My father and brother didn't like the lap/ankle harness, though.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Rothman on November 28, 2022, 04:35:32 PM
You haven't ridden enough roller coasters to say you get bored with most of them.

Probably because I refuse to go upside down ones which limits my choices alot. I wonder why people want those elements anyway. Being upside down is disorienting and unpleasant compared to other extreme elements. And that's not just me btw, many people are afraid of looping rides specifically but not ohmther massive coasters, or at least find that circular motion more sickening than thrilling. Do you even feel like you are upside down on looping rollercoasters?

roadman65

No you don't and that's why we ride them.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MultiMillionMiler

Depends on the shape of the loop I guess. If the centripetal force is strong enough you would feel like you are sitting upright, but if it the loop is taken more slowly, you will get "hang time", dangling there and feel like you are actually flipping over. It's not the fear of falling out for me, it is just the sickening motion.

roadman65

The Sidewinder in Hersheypark is one you feel the force of gravity on you while looping in reverse.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 28, 2022, 05:54:42 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 28, 2022, 04:35:32 PM

Probably because I refuse to go upside down ones which limits my choices alot. I wonder why people want those elements anyway. Being upside down is disorienting and unpleasant compared to other extreme elements. And that's not just me btw, many people are afraid of looping rides specifically but not ohmther massive coasters, or at least find that circular motion more sickening than thrilling. Do you even feel like you are upside down on looping rollercoasters?

You're rationalizing your own fears by an inaccurate perception of coasters' popularity.

It's okay to afraid of them in your own right.

roadman65

I thought of a great thrill ride. A virtual rollercoaster that has these electromagnetic helicopters that try to pick you off the track as the rollercoaster simulates a runaway tractor trailer running wild.  Then to add to it your virtual ride comes equipped with a graphing hook so you stop the ride at anytime.

How's that for a coaster.  Better than the Penn Turnpike.

Sheryl Crowe

MultiMillionMiler

You guys need to ride Fury325 to see what I am talking about. It is unlike other coasters.

kphoger

I remember Rolling Thunder, back before it was removed from Six Flags Great America.  It had bobsled sections, wherein the cars slid along a chute rather than being on a track.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

This thread reminds me we need an AAroads themed theme park
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MultiMillionMiler

1st video really shows the insanity of the launch

2nd video, on ride footage is around 4:20, with speedometer and all.

This rollercoaster had to be closed due to a number of riders supposedly breaking bones during this insane launch. 112 mph in less than 1.6 seconds. And it's not like the riders are wearing G suits or anything.

roadman65

I like the Sidewinder in Hersheypark. Short shuttle coaster, but a thrill for the back and forth through two loops and one twist.

Similar rides were in both Ocean City, MD and Wildwood, NJ that featured same exact layout.

Edit: Sidewinder now is renamed The Jolly Rancher Remix.

I’m guessing Jolly Rancher candies is now part of the great Hershey Chocolate Brands hence the latest name.

https://goo.gl/maps/yHg7VVpXy7hn58TSA
Here is a look at the one in Ocean City, MD.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on December 06, 2022, 04:37:12 AM
I like the Sidewinder in Hersheypark. Short shuttle coaster, but a thrill for the back and forth through two loops and one twist.

Similar rides were in both Ocean City, MD and Wildwood, NJ that featured same exact layout.

Edit: Sidewinder now is renamed The Jolly Rancher Remix.

I'm guessing Jolly Rancher candies is now part of the great Hershey Chocolate Brands hence the latest name.

https://goo.gl/maps/yHg7VVpXy7hn58TSA
Here is a look at the one in Ocean City, MD.
Heh.  Very common ride.  Every park worth its salt has one of these cheaply and mass manufactured rides.

Weird thing is the enthusiast community looks down on them because of how common they are.  If people enjoy them, I don't see the problem.

roadman65

I like the Beast in Kings Island.

Sheryl Crowe

MultiMillionMiler

Isn't that hershey park one called "SuperDooperLooper", cause I know exactly which one you're talking about, it's one of those boomerang coasters that lifts you both foward and backward? Maybe they changed the name?

roadman65

No Super Dooper Looper is a one direction full ride.

Sheryl Crowe

MultiMillionMiler

Oh you're right. It has 1 inversion...so they should probably switch the names of those two LOL

Max Rockatansky

How many rollercoaster tickets can $29,000 get you?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.