News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-69 in KY

Started by Grzrd, September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 27, 2013, 11:16:52 AM
This (behind pay wall) article reports that KYTC is currently redesigning the interchange and that construction of it and all other Pennyrile projects necessary for the I-69 designation "could" be finished in 2015:
A 2008 law named the Pennyrile Parkway part of the I-69 route, designed to run all the way to Texas. But to become part of the federal interstate system, it still needs five construction projects, which could be finished by 2015

This article reports that Gary Valentine, the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet's new project manager for Interstate 69, told the Henderson Chamber of Commerce that several projects over the next two to three years on both the Pennyrile and Purchase Parkways will allow I-69 shields to be installed from Mayfield to Henderson:

... the I-69 project in Kentucky is moving pretty well – as long as the General Assembly maintains funding.
"I have $155 million showing in the six-year plan (with) $70 million in this biennium. There will be several construction projects you'll see on I-69 on both the Pennyrile and the Purchase parkways over the next two to three years. Those projects will allow I-69 to be under shield (interstate signs) from Mayfield to Henderson."

Also, as posted in another thread, Valentine spoke about trying to shave costs by shortening the new terrain Henderson approach to the I-69 Ohio River bridge:

Kentucky's six-year road plan, which guides all state highway construction, provides $1 million to study ways to make the bridge more affordable and Valentine said he thinks costs can be shaved, but a toll might be necessary.
The preferred corridor branches off from the Pennyrile Parkway south of Henderson "what I consider way early,"  which will require the construction of about nine miles of new highway at a cost of about $10 million a mile. He said highway officials will look at branching off closer to Henderson.
Having two controlled access highways paralleling one another in that stretch doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, he said, so highway officials will be looking at branching off closer to Henderson.

edit

A more recent version of the above-quoted article has Valentine stating that construction on the KY 416 interchange should begin in August or September:

Of the 11 projects in the six-year plan, one that will be happening relatively quickly is an improved interchange with Kentucky 416. "Today, if you're coming northbound, you can't get off at 416. If you want to go south, you can't get on at 416. That will change."  The project will cost $6 million and is scheduled to begin construction in August or September.

Grzrd

This article reports that another conversion of a toll plaza to a diamond interchange, this one at the Purchase Parkway/KY 348 Exit 43 interchange at Benton, should be let before the end of 2013:

The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) has finalized plans for reconstruction of the Purchase Parkway/KY 348 Exit 43 interchange at Benton.  Plans call for converting the existing toll plaza interchange into a modern diamond interchange that will meet standards for the parkway to become part of Interstate 69, according to Keith Todd, public information officer for the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet's District One and District Two.
According to KYTC District 1 Project Development Engineer Mike McGregor, the plans have been shared with eight property owners that will be affected by the new interchange.  Those plans are being made available to others interested in the project.
"The final plans are available for review at our district office in Paducah.  We'll also continue to be available to meet with landowners whose property will be touched by the project"  McGregor said.
Approximately $20 million is budgeted for the interchange reconstruction.  The project is expected to be ready for a construction bid before the end of 2013.
McGregor says anyone interested in reviewing the final plans for the new Purchase Parkway/KY 348 Exit 43 interchange may contact him at 270-898-2431.

edit

Another article about the interchange reconstruction reports that the new ramps could be open by 2015:

Keith Todd, public information officer for the Kentucky Department of Highways, said the new interchange will eliminate the cloverleaf ramps and replace them with high-speed on and off ramps ....
One group that will likely be displaced is the Lakeland Chapter of the American Red Cross. Todd said the Transportation Cabinet owns the old toll plaza the Red Cross uses as its headquarters.* ....
Todd said the project is anticipated to span a full construction season or longer. He added the new ramps could be open by 2015.

"At some point, there could be lane restrictions,"  Todd said. "We're doing a similar construction at I-69 at Dawson Springs. It's going forward with remarkably few traffic interruptions. Workers are able to handle dirt work and paving off the right-of-way. At some point, when they handle the tie-ins to the highway, there would be a lane restriction, but I don't anticipate anything longer than a week or two, here or there."

second edit * I assume this is the building on Bill Wood Lane?
Answered my own question:

American Red Cross
Address: 88 Bill Wood Ln, Benton, KY 42025

It would be interesting if KYTC requested, and FHWA later granted, a design exception that would allow the Red Cross to stay.

thefro

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2013/may/29/several-major-highway-projectsto-take-place-here/

A little more info on two of the Pennyrile Parkway interchange upgrades projects.

QuotePennyrile Parkway interchanges: The state plans to award contracts to complete the Pennyrile's existing half-interchange at the Kentucky 416/Robards exit and to completely rebuild the Kentucky 56/Sebree interchange, which was designed for slow-moving traffic when that was a toll collection location.

The goal is to award a construction contract for the Kentucky 416 interchange this December, while the target letting date for the Kentucky 56 interchange is May 2014, according to Kevin McClearn, the chief district engineer for the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet's District Two office in Madisonville.

thefro

A little update on the potential I-369 spur route (Audubon Parkway to Owensboro)

http://surfky.com/index.php/communities/77-owensboro-news/34218-owensboro-city-commission-hears-from-transportation-cabinet

QuoteIn its monthly work session on Tuesday, the Owensboro City Commission heard a special report from Kentucky Department of Transportation District 2 Chief District Engineer Kevin McClearn concerning the state of road projects in the Owensboro and Daviess County area.

According to McClearn, efforts to maintain and renovate sections of the Audubon Parkway are underway at this time, with a projected completion this fall. During the work session, Mayor Ron Payne brought the question concerning the state of the parkway, citing a goal by his administration to incorporate the Audubon Parkway as a spur of Interstate 69. McClearn stated that currently, the parkway is not up to Interstate standards, and that modifications have yet to be made to make the road interstate ready. There is currently an ongoing study by the Kentucky Department of Transportation to specify exactly where the Audubon Parkway falls short of Interstate standards, and to project costs of bringing the road's condition to where it needs to be. Construction is currently anticipated to be completed in September

hbelkins

Quote from: thefro on July 10, 2013, 06:52:40 AM
A little update on the potential I-369 spur route (Audubon Parkway to Owensboro)

http://surfky.com/index.php/communities/77-owensboro-news/34218-owensboro-city-commission-hears-from-transportation-cabinet

QuoteIn its monthly work session on Tuesday, the Owensboro City Commission heard a special report from Kentucky Department of Transportation District 2 Chief District Engineer Kevin McClearn concerning the state of road projects in the Owensboro and Daviess County area.

According to McClearn, efforts to maintain and renovate sections of the Audubon Parkway are underway at this time, with a projected completion this fall. During the work session, Mayor Ron Payne brought the question concerning the state of the parkway, citing a goal by his administration to incorporate the Audubon Parkway as a spur of Interstate 69. McClearn stated that currently, the parkway is not up to Interstate standards, and that modifications have yet to be made to make the road interstate ready. There is currently an ongoing study by the Kentucky Department of Transportation to specify exactly where the Audubon Parkway falls short of Interstate standards, and to project costs of bringing the road's condition to where it needs to be. Construction is currently anticipated to be completed in September

No number for this road has been assigned. 169 makes more sense than 369.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

codyg1985

^ Maybe I-169 may be reserved in case a spur route is built further south? I don't know where another spur from I-69 would be needed at this time in Kentucky, but it may be their thinking. It also may be to keep from confusing from I-164 (even though that would be going away).
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

RoadWarrior56

I am not sure I will live long enough to see it, but the southern half of the Pennyrile Pkwy could at some point be designated as I-169, since it would connect to I-24 at Hopkinsville.  Actually, I think there is a 69 spur designated somewhere in TN.  The number may be reserved for there.

codyg1985

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on July 11, 2013, 07:06:02 AM
I am not sure I will live long enough to see it, but the southern half of the Pennyrile Pkwy could at some point be designated as I-169, since it would connect to I-24 at Hopkinsville.  Actually, I think there is a 69 spur designated somewhere in TN.  The number may be reserved for there.

I would think the rest of the Pennyrile Pkwy would get an even 3di since it isn't technically a spur. I think there was talk of TN 22 from Union City, TN to Martin, TN being designated as an I-69 spur.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

rte66man

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 11, 2013, 07:10:15 AM

I would think the rest of the Pennyrile Pkwy would get an even 3di since it isn't technically a spur. I think there was talk of TN 22 from Union City, TN to Martin, TN being designated as an I-69 spur.

How would they connect the NW end with the new I69?  The remaining part seems to be at or near interstate standards.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

english si

Will Owensboro get a second 3di down the Natcher Parkway when (well if) I-66 happens? :P

mgk920

'I-41'

:nod:

Mike

Grzrd

Quote from: english si on July 11, 2013, 10:15:28 AM
Will Owensboro get a second 3di down the Natcher Parkway when (well if) I-66 happens? :P

On behalf of KYTC, Palmer Engineering is finishing up a feasibility study that includes a cost estimate of upgrading the Natcher to a possible I-x65 (the linked article does mention I-66):

http://www.bgdailynews.com/news/local/report-on-road-work-due-in-march/article_a6210bdc-43ba-11e2-809e-001a4bcf887a.html

english si

Really, it should be one even 3di, but that won't happen as that is sensible...

Avalanchez71

All this interstate nonesense is nonsense.  If the plebs were able to travel prior to GPS and the internet, why the push now?

CanesFan27

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 11, 2013, 01:31:14 PM
All this interstate nonesense is nonsense.  If the plebs were able to travel prior to GPS and the internet, why the push now?

It's not a make it easier for regular travelers.  The push for expanding the Interstate SYSTEM to as many roads that meet standards as possible comes more from a Supply Chain and Logistics influence than anything else.

If you look at it from a Supply Chain and Logistics POV - there's plenty of good reasoning for it.  The other option is to have separate shields/designations for the NHS.

hbelkins

It's all about the marketing. If you're pushing a business location to someone, it means something to say, "Located adjacent to I-xx or I-xxx."

Compare that to saying, "Located adjacent to the Bluegrass Parkway, an Interstate-quality limited-access four-lane freeway."

Even though Kentucky's parkways are the functional equivalent of interstates, even if they don't meet some anal-retentive FHWA standard for signing and numbering as an Interstate highway like the median being two feet too narrow, locations along them aren't as marketable for industrial or economic development as a location along an Interstate.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CanesFan27

Quote from: hbelkins on July 12, 2013, 11:27:26 AM

It's all about the marketing. If you're pushing a business location to someone, it means something to say, "Located adjacent to I-xx or I-xxx."

Compare that to saying, "Located adjacent to the Bluegrass Parkway, an Interstate-quality limited-access four-lane freeway."

Even though Kentucky's parkways are the functional equivalent of interstates, even if they don't meet some anal-retentive FHWA standard for signing and numbering as an Interstate highway like the median being two feet too narrow, locations along them aren't as marketable for industrial or economic development as a location along an Interstate.

It's more than marketing.  Often overlooked is that the Interstate Highway System is a Network of limited access highways to standards that facilitate the best transport of goods and services.

This is why North Carolina had several different Interstate requests for a connection from Charlotte or Greensboro to Wilmington and Morehead City in the 1960s.  It eventually evolved to I-40 as we know it today.  It really is why Gov. Easley pushed for I-20 to be extended from Florence, SC to Wilmington.  I-20 would give the Port of Wilmington direct access to Atlanta allowing it to be more competitive with the Port of Charleston.

This is why the I-69 Corridor is called the NAFTA Corridor and with the Panama Canal Expansion Project this is why so many eastern states are trying to improve their ports and highway systems.

Suppliers & Manufacturers focus more on Interstates because they know the standards of the highway system will allow them to have the best mode of operations on a ground (truck) transport basis.  Yes, I know ARC corridors and even regular freeways handle it as well.

Does this mean I thin every freeway should be an Interstate of course not.  However, if it meets the standards and can be added/attached to the system - why not?  After all, it is a network of highways.

I understand that many don't like Interstate shields on every road but isn't no different than US Highways replacing the Lincoln Highway and The Yellowstone Trail and The Dixie Highway nearly a century ago?

Just imagine if they assigned numbers to the NHS - then many would say, "OH NO, the NHS is killing all the Interstate Numbers!"

rickmastfan67

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 10, 2013, 11:57:37 PM
^ Maybe I-169 may be reserved in case a spur route is built further south? I don't know where another spur from I-69 would be needed at this time in Kentucky, but it may be their thinking. It also may be to keep from confusing from I-164 (even though that would be going away).

I would think that the part of I-164 that isn't going to be taken over by I-69 might become an I-x69, most likely I-169.  That would explain why KY is going for I-369.

tvketchum

Kentucky could take a better step to marketing the parkways, if they carried US designations where a US route parallels, or a KY route number. The Audubon could be labeled US 60, with existing US 60 becoming a KY x60, or, call the Audubon a KY x69 and make the switch to an I x69 when or if upgrades are made.

tidecat

How long will the orphaned part of I-164 once I-69 is done?
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

theline

^^ Just going from memory on the preferred location for the new bridge, my guess is "I-169" will run about 5 miles.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 12, 2013, 11:11:26 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on July 10, 2013, 11:57:37 PM

I would think that the part of I-164 that isn't going to be taken over by I-69 might become an I-x69, most likely I-169.  That would explain why KY is going for I-369.

What's the likely jumping-off point for the new southerly extension of I-69 from existing I-164?  Green River Rd.?  That's going to leave a very short I-164, then a very short Veterans Parkway.  Maybe all that remainder ought to become Veterans Parkway rather than I-164 just to simplify things.

Avalanchez71

I-381, I-175, I-375 are very short.  So is I-395 in Miami as well.  There are others out there as well.  Oh yeah don't forget about I-180 in Cheyenne, WY.

Grzrd

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 23, 2013, 06:45:56 AM
What's the likely jumping-off point for the new southerly extension of I-69 from existing I-164?  Green River Rd.?

The Executive Summary of the 2004 Draft Environmental Impact Statement for I-69 between Evansville and Henderson identifies Alternative 2 as the Preferred Alternative (page 23/23 of pdf; page S-23 of document) and describes Alternative 2's Indiana approach as follows (page 11/23 of pdf):

Alternative 2 utilizes the existing I-164 alignment from its northern terminus at I-64 in Warrick County, to just east of the Green River Road interchange and west of Angel Mounds State Memorial Site. From that location, the alternative leaves the existing I-164 alignment and heads south to cross the Ohio River immediately west of the mouth of the Green River.

Captain Jack

Yes, the general belief is that it will leave the current I-164 route somewhere just east of the Green River Road exit. That will leave approximately 3 miles between Green River Road and US 41. INDOT is supposedly considering relocating US 41 to the current I-164 route. If that happens, it will simply be US 41 in that section. If not, I would imagine it would just become Veterans Parkway. It seems silly to create a new route number for that short section of highway, and somewhat confusing to motorist as it would go from Veterans Parkway to a new 3di, to I-69 in about a 3 mile stretch.

I don't understand why INDOT doesn't go ahead and co-sign I-164 with 69 to at least the SR 662 exit, as it will certainly replace that much of the route. Go ahead and get people used to calling it I-69.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.