News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-88 widening: IL-59 to IL-31?

Started by I-39, June 24, 2015, 09:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

I am becoming more convinced the Illinois Tollway is planning to widen I-88 to eight lanes from IL-59 west to at least IL-31. The reason is the new bridges that are being built at IL-59, Church Road, Mitchell Road, etc all seem to be wide enough to accommodate a fourth lane and shoulder. It is the only part of the system outside of the I-90 corridor where bridges are being rebuilt, not simply rehabbed/repaired like they are doing on the Tri-State. In addition, the Aurora Toll Plaza is configured to accommodate a fourth ORT lane, and the fourth lane on the Fox River bridge could easily be converted to a regular travel lane from it's current role as an auxiliary lane.

Of course, both the Farnsworth Ave and Eola Road bridges would have to be rebuilt to accommodate a fourth lane, but I believe the former is scheduled to be rebuilt either next year or the year after.

I-88 certainly could use a fourth lane west of IL-59, traffic backs up greatly in this segment during rush hour. 

Does anyone with sources know anything about this?

Rick Powell

It is common for agencies to accommodate a future expansion when it is far off in the future.  IDOT District 3 has built extra wide bridges in the I-80 corridor from I-39 to the east for the last 10-15 years, with nothing imminent for lane conversion or expansion. 

I-88 expansion wasn't mentioned in the Move Illinois program (where they raised tolls and got an additional $12 billion bonding capacity).  The tollway did add a 3rd lane in each direction between Orchard and IL-56 west a few years ago.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: I-39 on June 24, 2015, 09:15:10 PM
I am becoming more convinced the Illinois Tollway is planning to widen I-88 to eight lanes from IL-59 west to at least IL-31. The reason is the new bridges that are being built at IL-59, Church Road, Mitchell Road, etc all seem to be wide enough to accommodate a fourth lane and shoulder. It is the only part of the system outside of the I-90 corridor where bridges are being rebuilt, not simply rehabbed/repaired like they are doing on the Tri-State. In addition, the Aurora Toll Plaza is configured to accommodate a fourth ORT lane, and the fourth lane on the Fox River bridge could easily be converted to a regular travel lane from it's current role as an auxiliary lane.

Of course, both the Farnsworth Ave and Eola Road bridges would have to be rebuilt to accommodate a fourth lane, but I believe the former is scheduled to be rebuilt either next year or the year after.

I-88 certainly could use a fourth lane west of IL-59, traffic backs up greatly in this segment during rush hour. 

Does anyone with sources know anything about this?

maybe even down to the IL-56 ramp as well.

cwm1276

They also will need to widen the railroad bridge east of Eola. My guess would be they would do it with the actual additional lane project.

ET21

Quote from: I-39 on June 24, 2015, 09:15:10 PM

While I agree with you that a fourth lane does seem to be coming in the future, I've rarely been backed up in this section during rush hour. The only times I ever have been was either an accident or more recently the IL-59 rebuild zone. Must be lucky  :bigass:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

I-39

I knew it.

Terra engineering admits in their page for the engineering for the Mitchell Road bridge reconstruction (http://www.terraengineering.com/mitchell-road-bridge-aurora-illinois/) that...............

Work included concepts for the new bridge which required additional span lengths due to the addition of a fourth lane in each direction on I-88.

Also, the tentative tollway budget for 2016 came out yesterday, and one of the projects for 2016 is a Farnsworth Avenue Interchange Reconstruction. Anyone have more info on this?

I'll bet you widening to eight lanes from IL-59 to IL-31/Orchard Road is coming within the next 10-15 years. They might add it to Move Illinois like they did the I-355 widening in the Congestion-Relief Program in 2007.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.