News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Exit 0 in Ohio

Started by PurdueBill, October 26, 2015, 11:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurdueBill

Just appeared on OH 8.  Never thought I'd see that.

Also note MUTCD-compliant up arrows covering old down arrows.

vtk

The way exit numbering on non-Interstates in Ohio has been spotty, inconsistent, and often lacking in common sense, it doesn't surprise me we'd wind up with an Exit Zero somewhere.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

PurdueBill

The sign before these, the 3/4 mile advance, even has an error.  Its new tab reads "Exits 0 A-B" despite being a sign only for 76 WB/77 NB, Exit 0B. 

Other places in Ohio that would also be good locations for Exit 0 (like I-271 defaulting into I-71, I-76 ending at I-71, I-280 ending at the Turnpike) were Exit 1 (or 1A) even if said ramp carried the route to or past its zero point (76's old zero point was at the departure of the ramp from I-71 NB into the double trumpet for 76/224).  In the case of Route 8, Exits 1A-1B were already taken (as were 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) so 0 was all that was available unless they redo other numbers/letters.

The Central Interchange is now a neat confluence of three exit numbering sequences, with Exits 23A-B, 125A-B, and 0A-B in play for different ramps.  Taking exit 0B from route 8 SB, you even see a blue 2/10 mile marker of I-77 as you merge into it first, then that merges onto 76 and the mile markers are now 76's.  Definitely important to know what route you are on if you're looking at the mile markers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.