Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

Quote from: johndoe780 on March 17, 2016, 04:59:09 PM
Quote from: I-39 on March 17, 2016, 04:41:58 PM
Quote from: johndoe780 on March 17, 2016, 03:06:26 PM
Quote from: I-39 on March 16, 2016, 10:24:23 PM
Quote from: johndoe780 on March 16, 2016, 03:26:28 PM
Quote from: I-39 on March 16, 2016, 01:38:49 PM
Well, it's official, the plans are now on the Illinois Tollway website.

http://www.illinoistollway.com/construction-and-planning/projects-by-roadway/reagan-memorial-tollway-i-88/farnsworth-avenue-interchange-project

It's pretty much what was described above. They'll be making it similar to the IL-47 interchange. Basically, the existing bridge will be reconstructed and lengthened and two loop ramps will be removed. The WB entrance and EB exit ramps will be reconfigured to have signalized intersections. 

However, these plans lead me to believe that there will be a Phase 2 of this project in the future that will address the remaining ramps and toll plazas. I bet you when they rebuild/widen I-88 to eight lanes west of IL-59 to the Fox River, they reconfigure the remaining ramps and consolidate the toll plazas sort of like they did at IL-47 for WB traffic exiting and EB traffic entering.

ITHSA is also "fixing" their mistake on 355 as well by adding a "real" fourth lane on 355 between 71st and 75th street as well.

I wonder when the bonds of the 2005 Congestion relief program when they added lanes on 294, 88, and 90 will be due. That's probably when ITHSA will sell more bonds and widen 88 to 8 lanes from 59 to at least the aurora toll plaza.

I wonder if they'll add it to Move Illinois like they did for the I-355 resurfacing/widening between I-88 and Bolingbrook. That was added to the Congestion-Relief Program later after it's initial approval.

I don't think the cost associated with widening 88 will be significant, but the bridgework over the fox river will be.

In the interim, widening 88 to 8 lanes to at least Farnsworth wouldn't be a bad idea.

They wouldn't need to do anything with the Fox River bridge, it's already an 8 lane bridge, the fourth lane is an auxiliary lane for the Aurora Toll Plaza eastbound and IL-31 westbound respectively. The Aurora Toll Plaza is configured to accommodate a fourth ORT lane, all that would need to be done there is some pavement marking modifications. The only reconstruction/widening work would need to be done is from IL-59 to the Toll Plaza.

They should add it to Move Illinois and start planning for it as soon as the Jane Addams rebuild wraps up and the Central Tri-State rebuild is underway.

Just google mapped it, you're right.

Jane addams is almost done, maybe a little ahead of schedule due to the warm winter, but it'll be complete the end of this year.

EOE, I mean 390, is already done from Lake to 290.

When is the tollway going to break ground on construction on widening 294, next year(2017) or the year after? (2018?)

I would want 294 to have express lanes straight from 95th street to balmoral ave. Similar to the Dan ryan, 3 lanes express + 2 lanes truckers and local.

The Central Tri-State rebuild will not start until 2020 unfortunately, so I should have said when the Central Tri-State rebuild planning is substantially complete (2017-2018).

Interestingly, the Tollway will go ahead and rebuild the section of I-88 between York Road and I-290 as well as the connector ramps between I-88 and I-294 (which for some odd reason was omitted from the 2008-2009 rebuild/widen in that area) either in 2017 or 2018. 

After the Jane Addams rebuild wraps up (this year) and the eastern extension of IL-390 is finished (next year), the focus will shift primarily to the Central Tri-State rebuild and the West Bypass (I-490). Also, you have Phase 2 of the I-57/294 interchange somewhere in there. Because of all this, I'm not sure if I-88 between IL-59 and the Aurora Toll Plaza will be getting any attention anytime in the next decade.

quickshade

Quote from: I-39 on March 17, 2016, 07:05:36 PM

The Central Tri-State rebuild will not start until 2020 unfortunately, so I should have said when the Central Tri-State rebuild planning is substantially complete (2017-2018).

Interestingly, the Tollway will go ahead and rebuild the section of I-88 between York Road and I-290 as well as the connector ramps between I-88 and I-294 (which for some odd reason was omitted from the 2008-2009 rebuild/widen in that area) either in 2017 or 2018. 

After the Jane Addams rebuild wraps up (this year) and the eastern extension of IL-390 is finished (next year), the focus will shift primarily to the Central Tri-State rebuild and the West Bypass (I-490). Also, you have Phase 2 of the I-57/294 interchange somewhere in there. Because of all this, I'm not sure if I-88 between IL-59 and the Aurora Toll Plaza will be getting any attention anytime in the next decade.

^^^^ Not to mention the serious look into the 53/120 extension, which I would think would get a lot more attention during the Tri-State rebuild as their next major project.

paulthemapguy

No attention to expanding I-88 in the immediate future?  I am okay with this, and I'm originally from the Aurora area (Party on, Wayne).  I-88 kind of just had its turn in the 2000's (the 'naughts').  Then it was the I-355 extension and now over to I-90 and IL390.  ISTHA seems to let its different highways "take turns," and I-88 kinda just had its turn.  When 90's turn is over, it'll be I-294's turn.  This is fine...plus IL59 serves as a logical western endpoint of the eight-lane section because that interchange is so heavily-traveled.  A good proportion of the traffic in and out of Chicago via I-88 comes from that IL59 region.  There's a reason they widened IL59 to 6 lanes and put a big DDI there lol
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

I-39

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 17, 2016, 08:54:34 PM

No attention to expanding I-88 in the immediate future?  I am okay with this, and I'm originally from the Aurora area (Party on, Wayne).  I-88 kind of just had its turn in the 2000's (the 'naughts').  Then it was the I-355 extension and now over to I-90 and IL390.  ISTHA seems to let its different highways "take turns," and I-88 kinda just had its turn.  When 90's turn is over, it'll be I-294's turn.  This is fine...plus IL59 serves as a logical western endpoint of the eight-lane section because that interchange is so heavily-traveled.  A good proportion of the traffic in and out of Chicago via I-88 comes from that IL59 region.  There's a reason they widened IL59 to 6 lanes and put a big DDI there lol

I-294 technically already "had it's turn" as well with the reconstruction and widening of the Northern (I-90 to the Wisconsin border) and Southern (95th street to IL-394) sections. This I-294 rebuild deals with the Central portion that was previously widened to eight lanes in 1992-1993 and was only resurfaced during the Congestion-Relief Program. It was never fully reconstructed and still has portions dating back to the original 1958 construction.

I guess they omitted the section of I-88 between IL-59 and the Fox River during the late 2000's rebuild/widen because that section was already rebuilt/widened from four to six lanes sometime between 1998 and 2000. However, traffic regularly backs up in that segment during Rush hour. In fact, go on Google Street view on the Church Road bridge west of Farnsworth (it was updated last August so it's the new overpass) and you'll see the traffic backup. The fourth lane should go west to IL-31.

It's not a huge priority, but it's something that needs to be addressed within the next 10-15 years.

johndoe780

Quote from: johndoe780 on March 17, 2016, 04:59:09 PM
Quote from: I-39 on March 17, 2016, 04:41:58 PM
Quote from: johndoe780 on March 17, 2016, 03:06:26 PM
Quote from: I-39 on March 16, 2016, 10:24:23 PM
Quote from: johndoe780 on March 16, 2016, 03:26:28 PM
Quote from: I-39 on March 16, 2016, 01:38:49 PM
Well, it's official, the plans are now on the Illinois Tollway website.

http://www.illinoistollway.com/construction-and-planning/projects-by-roadway/reagan-memorial-tollway-i-88/farnsworth-avenue-interchange-project

It's pretty much what was described above. They'll be making it similar to the IL-47 interchange. Basically, the existing bridge will be reconstructed and lengthened and two loop ramps will be removed. The WB entrance and EB exit ramps will be reconfigured to have signalized intersections. 

However, these plans lead me to believe that there will be a Phase 2 of this project in the future that will address the remaining ramps and toll plazas. I bet you when they rebuild/widen I-88 to eight lanes west of IL-59 to the Fox River, they reconfigure the remaining ramps and consolidate the toll plazas sort of like they did at IL-47 for WB traffic exiting and EB traffic entering.

ITHSA is also "fixing" their mistake on 355 as well by adding a "real" fourth lane on 355 between 71st and 75th street as well.

I wonder when the bonds of the 2005 Congestion relief program when they added lanes on 294, 88, and 90 will be due. That's probably when ITHSA will sell more bonds and widen 88 to 8 lanes from 59 to at least the aurora toll plaza.

I wonder if they'll add it to Move Illinois like they did for the I-355 resurfacing/widening between I-88 and Bolingbrook. That was added to the Congestion-Relief Program later after it's initial approval.

I don't think the cost associated with widening 88 will be significant, but the bridgework over the fox river will be.

In the interim, widening 88 to 8 lanes to at least Farnsworth wouldn't be a bad idea.

They wouldn't need to do anything with the Fox River bridge, it's already an 8 lane bridge, the fourth lane is an auxiliary lane for the Aurora Toll Plaza eastbound and IL-31 westbound respectively. The Aurora Toll Plaza is configured to accommodate a fourth ORT lane, all that would need to be done there is some pavement marking modifications. The only reconstruction/widening work would need to be done is from IL-59 to the Toll Plaza.

They should add it to Move Illinois and start planning for it as soon as the Jane Addams rebuild wraps up and the Central Tri-State rebuild is underway.

Just google mapped it, you're right.

Jane addams is almost done, maybe a little ahead of schedule due to the warm winter, but it'll be complete the end of this year.

EOE, I mean 390, is already done from Lake to 290.

When is the tollway going to break ground on construction on widening 294, next year(2017) or the year after? (2018?)

I would want 294 to have express lanes straight from 95th street to balmoral ave. Similar to the Dan ryan, 3 lanes express + 2 lanes truckers and local.

I know there's land acquisition and planning and whatnot, but 2025 is awfully far away for I-490. And I-490 plan still doesn't even include the connector to O'hare.

Hopefully the new O'hare chief, Ginger Evans, is already working on it. She definitely is no slouch when it comes to O'hare.

lucas01aswell

Will this be  ipass only becasue if it is that means  when my Driver Lisence i wont get fornsworth unless i have my EZ-pass if i had one

ET21

Quote from: lucas01aswell on March 18, 2016, 04:46:14 PM
Will this be  ipass only becasue if it is that means  when my Driver Lisence i wont get fornsworth unless i have my EZ-pass if i had one

What????

If you're using the tollways, yes you need an I-Pass and EZ-Pass is accepted. Farnsworth will still include the toll booths for the westbound exit and eastbound entrance
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Revive 755

^ Last I heard, other than the I-90 interchange with IL 47 and the section of IL 390 west of I-290, if ISTHA modifies a toll plaza for an existing ramp, or adds tolls to an existing ramp - as for the EB entrances to I-90 from Barrington and Roselle Roads - they will provide a cash lane with the modified/new toll plaza.

I-39

Quote from: lucas01aswell on March 18, 2016, 04:46:14 PM

This project won't be dealing with the Toll Plazas on the Farnsworth ramps. They will remain exactly as they are now. But as I said, I bet you there will be a future Phase 2 where they modify the ramps and consolidate the Toll Plazas for both the exit and entrance ramps like they did for IL-47. It would likely happen if/when I-88 is widened to eight lanes from IL-59 west to the Fox River.

ET21

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 19, 2016, 08:33:36 PM
^ Last I heard, other than the I-90 interchange with IL 47 and the section of IL 390 west of I-290, if ISTHA modifies a toll plaza for an existing ramp, or adds tolls to an existing ramp - as for the EB entrances to I-90 from Barrington and Roselle Roads - they will provide a cash lane with the modified/new toll plaza.

I thought they've been starting to phase out cash lanes slowly and going with using ipass all together. Just seems like that since more newer ramps or exits are getting ipass only booths
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

paulthemapguy

Quote from: ET21 on March 19, 2016, 11:38:00 PM
I thought they've been starting to phase out cash lanes slowly and going with using ipass all together. Just seems like that since more newer ramps or exits are getting ipass only booths
I don't think they can reasonably phase out all the manual toll booths and replace them ALL with iPass booths, because out-of-staters and newcomers would have to buy the little transponder just to use the road.  That wouldn't be fair imo.  But they have been setting up certain exits to be IPass only, like the I-88-Eola Rd exit.

johndoe780

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 21, 2016, 12:35:31 AM
I don't think they can reasonably phase out all the manual toll booths and replace them ALL with iPass booths, because out-of-staters and newcomers would have to buy the little transponder just to use the road.  That wouldn't be fair imo.  But they have been setting up certain exits to be IPass only, like the I-88-Eola Rd exit.

Eola road exit is mostly for locals anyways.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: johndoe780 on March 21, 2016, 04:13:08 PM

Eola road exit is mostly for locals anyways.

Exactly.  This is why I'm not opposed to having a few IPass-only exits here and there.  An overhaul converting them all to "IPass only" would be madness.

Revive 755

I don't think they can reasonably phase out all the manual toll booths and replace them ALL with iPass booths, because out-of-staters and newcomers would have to buy the little transponder just to use the road.  That wouldn't be fair imo.

Hasn't stopped ISTHA from considering bringing back the Deerfield Toll Plaza on I-94 as an I-PASS only plaza as an option to pay for the IL 53 extension.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 21, 2016, 07:24:34 PM
I don't think they can reasonably phase out all the manual toll booths and replace them ALL with iPass booths, because out-of-staters and newcomers would have to buy the little transponder just to use the road.  That wouldn't be fair imo.

Hasn't stopped ISTHA from considering bringing back the Deerfield Toll Plaza on I-94 as an I-PASS only plaza as an option to pay for the IL 53 extension.
I have heard that maybe as ETC only or they can add ramp tolls / rework ramp toll rates in that area. I-294/I-94 can use some rate work from I-90 to WI line. Also talk of tolling the US-41 ramps.

Maybe then can do EOE like tolling on more of the system down the line and get rid of the cash tolls. Maybe cheaper then doing a full ERT 407 will readers on each ramp.

also talk of tolling IL-53.

The tolls on I-94 after the old Deerfield Toll Plaza where build around the same time as it was taken down.

Also can the tools come back to the IL-53 / I-290 exit to I-90 as ETC only so that up stream ramps can go free or have there tolls cut? or just do a EOE like setup and dump the ramp tolls?

quickshade

California did away with most cash lanes, if you drive the tollway and you don't have a transponder they let you pay online (same cost) for using the roadway. Honestly i'd say in about 10 years the cash lane will pretty much be dead in Illinois. (maybe 20 because we're Illinois)  :clap:

I-39

We're getting a bit off topic here. Let's get back to talking about the Farnsworth Interchange. If you want to discuss miscellaneous tollway stuff, such as the eventual (inevitable) conversion to an all-electronic toll system, go to the new thread I created called Illinois Tollway Notes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.