News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Will US41 ever get bridged in south Lake County IL?

Started by dzlsabe, December 06, 2015, 12:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: jwags on June 07, 2016, 09:34:59 PM
Quote from: dzlsabe on June 07, 2016, 09:02:19 PM
"Uh just had a major upgrade done about 10 years ago. Expanded from 6 lanes to 8."

The Tristate? Irrelevant in regards to US 41 or the stupidest toll road in America, the Edens Spur.

Why the hate for the Edens Spur? Yeah, I agree the connections with the Edens Expressway are undersized but otherwise the road serves its purpose, providing a connection between he Edens Expressway and the Tri-State. I use it quite frequently when driving from Chicago to Milwaukee.

I use it quite frequently from commuting from my home in Rogers Park to my place of work in Riverwoods.

Revive 755

Why would someone drive out of their way southeastward on US 41, then double back west on the Edens Spur? More direct to go to the Tri-State first.  Certainly much easier to get to a freeway-grade facility than it is for most of Lake County.

Quote from: dzlsabe on June 07, 2016, 11:48:17 PM"Please provide a link to or a scan from an origin-destination study to verify this." NO. Its common local knowledge (and plain old-fashioned map-reading) that the Spur does NOT go to SB Tristate.

Please reread the statement and provide data on "that traffic".

tribar

Quote from: dzlsabe on June 07, 2016, 12:27:22 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on June 06, 2016, 06:05:13 PM
Quote from: dzlsabe on June 04, 2016, 09:11:09 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on June 04, 2016, 03:18:39 PM
It would make far more sense to upgrade US 12 then it would US 41. While I know US 12 will never be a full freeway through Lake County it would be nice to see at least some of the stoplights eliminated. Particularly the one at IL-120.

It would make far more sense to YOU maybe. Apples and Oranges. US 12 and 41. One has no bearing on the other. In completely different parts of the county affecting whole different sets of motorists. Is US 41 not worthy to get a few stoplights eliminated as well?
US 41 runs parallel just within a few miles of I-94 vs US 12 which is the major route through eastern Lake County and will be a good long distance route from Chicago to Madison. That makes a huge difference.

Actually, at LakeCook and Deerfield, US 41 and  I-94 are about five miles apart with fifteen or so stoplights on each between them. In about as high-density suburbia as there is. And a good part of that traffic stems from the half-worthless ISTHA Edens Spur. So NO, US 41 and I-94 are not "substitutes" for either in anyway. Certainly, they get much closer as one goes north. The last true upgrade to this part of US 41 was in the '90s at Clavey Rd. The stupidest toll road in America (Edens Spur) has not seen one since it was built in '58?

US 12 is in western Lakeco and has no bearing on eastern. Apples, oranges, tomatoes. BTW Lakeco is about 25 miles wide.

If a parallel to US 12, Chicago (or Ohare?) to Madison or Eau Claire or MSP is desired, an easy way would be by rail, like it used to be, before 1972. THAT would be a great long distance route making a huge difference.

Let's close the Edens Spur for a week and then see how useless it is.

kphoger

Quote from: dzlsabe on December 06, 2015, 12:20:38 AM
How many intersections are even left on all of US41?   

Just in Illinois?  I count at least 80.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

dzlsabe

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 08, 2016, 10:55:04 PM
Why would someone drive out of their way southeastward on US 41, then double back west on the Edens Spur? More direct to go to the Tri-State first.  Certainly much easier to get to a freeway-grade facility than it is for most of Lake County.

Quote from: dzlsabe on June 07, 2016, 11:48:17 PM"Please provide a link to or a scan from an origin-destination study to verify this." NO. Its common local knowledge (and plain old-fashioned map-reading) that the Spur does NOT go to SB Tristate.

Huh? Readjust your compass (map). US 41 is going SOUTH/north. Ill grant you one-click east/west because of the LAKE, but not "southeastward".

And "Let's close the Edens Spur for a week and then see how useless it is." Its actually been CLOSED for the ~50% of traffic that could/SHOULD be on it for SIXTY years.

Again, this is just the stupid "bridging south Lakeco US 41 topic". But I understand the confusion as they are related.
Even our highway engineers cant quite figure out which way we are going.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

Revive 755

Quote from: dzlsabe on June 10, 2016, 12:51:18 AMReadjust your compass (map). US 41 is going SOUTH/north. Ill grant you one-click east/west because of the LAKE, but not "southeastward".

When putting the compass on IDOT's ADT map up on top of US 41 south of IL 60, US 41 does not line up with both the north and south arrows - definitely not pure north-south.

Quote from: dzlsabe on June 10, 2016, 12:51:18 AM
And "Let's close the Edens Spur for a week and then see how useless it is." Its actually been CLOSED for the ~50% of traffic that could/SHOULD be on it for SIXTY years.

A road with 54,000 ADT is useless?  Sure . . .

Please provide a link or a scan of an origin destination study indicating there is that much unserved demand due to the incomplete connections on the Edens Spur.  I'm pretty sure there is at least some relevant study in a government archive or library out there.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And let us consider the area served by US 41.  I get around four miles at most between I-94 and US 41, and two miles at most between US 41 and the Lake.  Whereas for the proposed location of the IL 53 extension, I get around seven miles between the north-south section and I-94, and around six to seven miles west to US 12.  Certainly more to be served by either the IL 53 Tollway or a US 12 upgrade compared to a US 41 upgrade.

tribar

Quote from: dzlsabe on June 10, 2016, 12:51:18 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on June 08, 2016, 10:55:04 PM

Huh?  All traffic is free to use it.

dzlsabe

"Let's close the Edens Spur for a week and then see how useless it is." Its actually been CLOSED for the ~50% of traffic that could/SHOULD be on it for SIXTY years.

"Huh?  All traffic is free to use it."

No, actually only NB Edens traffic originating south of Tower Rd. or SB Tristate traffic originating north of Deerfield Rd. is "tolled" to use it. Yes, there is a WB entrance & EB exit at Waukegan Rd., but thats still SEVEN miles between Tower and Deerfield (with only an exit at Dundee or US 41 possible) that excludes a bunch of traffic that must use the five local EW roads to get to/from south Tristate and Ohare.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1347818,-87.8161941,13z

This is barely related to US 41 in SE Lakeco.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.