Madison Beltline/Wis 145/Wis 175 no longer shown as freeway on new WISDOT map?!

Started by peterj920, August 02, 2016, 02:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 07, 2016, 10:25:49 PM
The crux of the issue with the WisDOT map is they are trying to communicate something to map users that is not particularly important: speed limit.
The important classification that should be communicated is what type of facility it is.  The level of access control is what matters, not speed limit.  This is a fundamental misunderstanding about the functionality of a state highway map and whoever is driving this change needs a swift kick in the ass to remove their head from that chasm.

Basically, they need to remove the cheese from between their ears.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

The Ghostbuster

I hope the next edition resumes showing these routes as freeways.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Brandon on August 08, 2016, 02:17:03 PM
The crux of the issue with the WisDOT map is they are trying to communicate something to map users that is not particularly important: speed limit.
The important classification that should be communicated is what type of facility it is.  The level of access control is what matters, not speed limit.  This is a fundamental misunderstanding about the functionality of a state highway map and whoever is driving this change needs a swift kick in the ass to remove their head from that chasm.

I think what WisDOT really needs to do is hire me to make their state highway map.  This kind of bullshit would never fly on a map I was responsible for.
I can clean up all those crummy little county maps they put out online as well.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

peterj920

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 08, 2016, 08:15:34 PM
Quote from: Brandon on August 08, 2016, 02:17:03 PM

I'd support that.  I like your map edits that you've posted online.  Would be great to makeover the city detail maps as it seems most of the multilane divided roadways are randomly placed.  There are many mulitlane divided roadways within cities that aren't marked that way.  US 45 north of Antigo is multilane divided up to County B but has never been marked as that for some reason.  Wis 47 from Bonduel to Appleton, Wis 310 from I-43 to Two Rivers, and Wis 13 from Wis Rapids to US 10 were recently added as 2030 connector routes.  Shouldn't they be considered principal through routes?

I think what WisDOT really needs to do is hire me to make their state highway map.  This kind of bullshit would never fly on a map I was responsible for.
I can clean up all those crummy little county maps they put out online as well.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: peterj920 on August 08, 2016, 10:13:28 PM
I'd support that.  I like your map edits that you've posted online.  Would be great to makeover the city detail maps as it seems most of the multilane divided roadways are randomly placed.  There are many mulitlane divided roadways within cities that aren't marked that way.
WisDOT only marks divided roads on the inset maps if they are state or US highways.

Quote from: peterj920 on August 08, 2016, 10:13:28 PMWis 47 from Bonduel to Appleton, Wis 310 from I-43 to Two Rivers, and Wis 13 from Wis Rapids to US 10 were recently added as 2030 connector routes.  Shouldn't they be considered principal through routes?
I don't know about WI 310 just yet, but I agree on those other two.
I promoted WI 27 between Westby and Black River Falls on my copy.  Same for WI 80 between Richland Center and New Lisbon.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

dvferyance

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 12, 2016, 04:09:01 PM
Quote from: peterj920 on August 08, 2016, 10:13:28 PM
I'd support that.  I like your map edits that you've posted online.  Would be great to makeover the city detail maps as it seems most of the multilane divided roadways are randomly placed.  There are many mulitlane divided roadways within cities that aren't marked that way.
WisDOT only marks divided roads on the inset maps if they are state or US highways.

Quote from: peterj920 on August 08, 2016, 10:13:28 PMWis 47 from Bonduel to Appleton, Wis 310 from I-43 to Two Rivers, and Wis 13 from Wis Rapids to US 10 were recently added as 2030 connector routes.  Shouldn't they be considered principal through routes?
I don't know about WI 310 just yet, but I agree on those other two.
I promoted WI 27 between Westby and Black River Falls on my copy.  Same for WI 80 between Richland Center and New Lisbon.
That's not completely true Packerland Dr also known as Hwy EB is marked as a 4 lane as well as Hwy EA and the east side of Green Bay. But for the most part yes most non state 4 lane roads are not marked as such.

midwesternroadguy

Considering the vendetta the current administration has against Madison, I can't help but wonder if the Beltline's demotion was politically motivated. 

peterj920

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on August 17, 2016, 08:56:50 PM
Considering the vendetta the current administration has against Madison, I can't help but wonder if the Beltline's demotion was politically motivated.

I highly doubt politics is involved.  The same thing happened to freeways in Milwaukee that were demoted, along with Wis 11 in Monroe.  US 14 south of the Beltline is still marked as a freeway.  Wis 30 is still marked as a freeway so they may have missed.  Odd that Wis 29 has a 70 mph speed limit between County VV and I-41 yet it's marked as expressway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.