News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois may increase speed limit 70

Started by Revive 755, March 08, 2010, 03:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwi_navigator_1181

The section I felt needed it most is finally getting the bump (hopefully). The portion of I-90 between Elgin and Rockford should've long been a prime candidate for 70, but I guess they were waiting for the peripheral work to finish.

As for I-355 between I-80 and I-55, I just think it sucks that you have to drop back down to 65 once you default onto I-80. However, that stretch was another easy choice to get the bump,
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

mcarling

Now that the speed limit in Illinois has been raised to 70 (in some places), perhaps it's time to update the title of this thread?
US 97 should be 2x2 all the way from Yakima, WA to Klamath Falls, OR.

bahnburner

Small update:

This is an updated map of current posted speed limits and NEW proposed increases that the Illinois Tollway is working with IDOT to implement.

Proposed changes

Reagan Memorial Highway (I-88):

- 65 MPH between Route 31 and Route 47 (instead of Route 31 and Orchard Rd.)

- 70 MPH west of Route 47 (instead of 65 MPH from Orchard Rd to Kane-Dekalb county line)

I-90:
-70 MPH west of Elgin (instead of 65 MPH)

I-355:
- 70 MPH on southern end (instead of 65 MPH)

I hear they were very reluctant on I-294.

I-39

Just increase them all to 70!

No Interstate should be less then 70 mph, unless it is too narrow or something to safely accommodate a 70 mph (or higher) speed limit.

Joe The Dragon

What about the EOE?

I-355/I-290 from the end of the tollway to EOE

I-290 from I-355 to north?

I-294 after central rebuild? VMS speed limits?

Will I-90 have VMS speed limits?

SSOWorld

Quote from: I-39 on April 26, 2016, 10:27:23 PM

No Interstate should be less then 70 mph, unless it is too narrow or something to safely accommodate a 70 mph (or higher) speed limit.
Because Chicago.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ET21

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 27, 2016, 05:56:22 AM

Because Chicago.

Like it matters. No one driving on these roadways are following speed limits
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

SSOWorld

Quote from: ET21 on April 27, 2016, 09:40:59 AM
Quote from: SSOWorld on April 27, 2016, 05:56:22 AM

Because Chicago.

Like it matters. No one driving on these roadways are following speed limits
precisely.  The ones that are are the dangers to traffic.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

quickshade

I don't think I disagree with a majority of these speed limits, Most of the area's that have lower limits are usually more congested than the outer areas where the speed limits are higher. I do think that it should be 75 and not 70, but when you get closer to the city I have no problem with the 60-65 limit.

JREwing78

My big issue is that the speed limits have no relation whatsoever to the speeds that drivers are running on these highways. Metro Detroit is at least realistic - the stretches of freeways there that aren't posted for 70 have genuine safety issues. Otherwise, they're posted for 70, and most drivers run 70-80mph with traffic if they're not congested.

None of the tollways in Illinois have design issues preventing 70mph speed limits. In the areas posted for 55 or 60, if it's not congested, traffic runs 65-80 mph, and it does so safely. The horribly underposted speed limits make drivers contemptuous of them even when they're warranted. Take the construction zone east of Elgin - traffic routinely runs 60-70 mph in a zone posted for 45 mph. Ditto during construction west of Elgin the last couple of years - even going 10 over relegated me squarely to the slow lane. One could make a definite case for an impeding traffic ticket if someone actually drove the speed limit.

dave069

I could've sworn the changes on I-88 were already implemented. Its been 70 MPH west of route 47 since 2014 and I'm pretty sure the 65 zone was extended to route 31. I wonder how likely the speed limit increase on I-355 is because as far as I am aware, I-80 is still posted at 65 which would put none of the connecting interstates at 70. With I-90, its pretty much certain that it will get the 70 MPH speed limit.

As far as the construction zone, that 45 MPH "limit" is an absolute joke. I run 60-65 there most of the time and I don't pass very many people. Should be bumped to 55-60 if you ask me.

ChiMilNet

I was driving through Downstate today, and I have to ask why some Interstates are still signed as 65 and not 70. For instance, I-270 anywhere East of I-255. The traffic and population density of this hardly warrant a speed limit less than 70. What's humorous is that I-55/74 through Bloomington/Normal is signed at 70, and I guarantee it has higher population density and even traffic than I-270 once you get East of I-255.

dave069

My understanding of it is that IDOT and the interpreted the 70 MPH speed limit law as to apply outside of large metro areas unless there is a lot of congestion or something that they deemed as a reason for a lower limit. I think its 65 on 270 because it's still considered a part of the St. Louis area. Also, downstate is where the cops set up speed traps like the 55 zone on I-270 so I think the money from speeding tickets may have something to do with it as well.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: dave069 on May 15, 2016, 06:33:19 PM
My understanding of it is that IDOT and the interpreted the 70 MPH speed limit law as to apply outside of large metro areas unless there is a lot of congestion or something that they deemed as a reason for a lower limit. I think its 65 on 270 because it's still considered a part of the St. Louis area. Also, downstate is where the cops set up speed traps like the 55 zone on I-270 so I think the money from speeding tickets may have something to do with it as well.

Now that I think about it, I remember something like that in the provisions. Personally, I think they need to revisit that altogether (although more so in Chicagoland). That 55 zone between I-270 and the river is absolutely ridiculous. Even on the Missouri side, I believe it is 60, and Illinois outta at least match up with that.

SSOWorld

Missouri's 60 is the equivalent to the 55 zones of Illinois.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

dave069

True although 60 is a little bit more realistic. Illinois should definitely be consistent there because going from 65-55-60 is really pointless, especially since nobody adheres to it anyway unless there is a cop around.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: dave069 on May 16, 2016, 10:22:56 AM
True although 60 is a little bit more realistic. Illinois should definitely be consistent there because going from 65-55-60 is really pointless, especially since nobody adheres to it anyway unless there is a cop around.

That's pretty much my point, and it's obvious that slow zone is there as a speed trap.

dave069

I was lucky enough to not spot a cop there when I was driving in that area in April. Also, is there a reason for the fact that on I-55 SB the 70 zone doesn't start until mm242 but NB it is 70 until the Des Plaines River? Did IDOT want to make both sides of the interstate 70 and only had the money to do one side or something like that?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.