News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

End of the Horizontal Light [WI]

Started by Zmapper, July 26, 2011, 05:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

I did drive on Badger Ave in Appleton today and did see horizontal lights installed.  Along with US 12/County AA and the US 41/County B interchange in Suamico, new horizontal signals in the last 2 years have been installed.  They all have 1 thru lane so it looks like horizontals are being used for single lane layouts. 

SSOWorld

That is standard.  The verticals were pegged for multi-lane state projects.  Localities can do whatever they wish.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

captkirk_4

Quote from: Alps on July 26, 2011, 06:35:38 PM
Unique? Get out a bit :P NJ is full of horizontal signals and NY has plenty in urban areas, among other places. I find it interesting that the MUTCD allows either horizontal or vertical without expressing a preference (unless I missed the reference this morning).

I've seen these same horizontal stoplights like in Wisconsin in Scottsbluff Nebraska and Vancouver Washington.

dvferyance

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 26, 2016, 05:28:39 AM
That is standard.  The verticals were pegged for multi-lane state projects.  Localities can do whatever they wish.
Most around here in SE Wisconsin are going in the direction of WisDOT. Waukesha County made the switch in 2014. The only exception may be a few small local communities like Menomonie Falls installed the old horizontal style at the intersection of Pilgrim Rd and Megal Dr last year. That's becoming very rare around here these days. Everyone in Milwaukee County has made the switch over so has the city of Waukesha. Most signals in Waukesha County not done be either WisDOT or Waukesha County are in the city of Waukesha.

mgk920

I kind of like how Texas does multi-lane horizontal signals.

Mike

peterj920

US 12 and County AA were horizontal lights installed by WISDOT, as well as US 41/141 and County B in Suamico.  At the I-94 east ramps to Wis 37 in Eau Claire, the mainline is monotubes with 2 vertical signals per lane, while the off ramp and Jopke Rd have one horizonal overhead.  WISDOT does install single veritcal lights on monotubes, but I think those are put at intersections that are expected to be expanded with more lanes.  If the intersection or ramp is expected to stay single lane permanently, they will put up a horizontal light. 

dvferyance

Quote from: peterj920 on May 28, 2016, 01:02:17 AM

US 12 and County AA were horizontal lights installed by WISDOT, as well as US 41/141 and County B in Suamico.  At the I-94 east ramps to Wis 37 in Eau Claire, the mainline is monotubes with 2 vertical signals per lane, while the off ramp and Jopke Rd have one horizonal overhead.  WISDOT does install single veritcal lights on monotubes, but I think those are put at intersections that are expected to be expanded with more lanes.  If the intersection or ramp is expected to stay single lane permanently, they will put up a horizontal light.
I think it depends on the district. They did the monotubes all one lane at the intersection of Ryan Rd and 76th street just last year.

peterj920

Quote from: dvferyance on May 29, 2016, 03:40:54 PM

I think it depends on the district. They did the monotubes all one lane at the intersection of Ryan Rd and 76th street just last year.

The monotubes were installed for one lane probably because they expect to add more lanes in the future.   I'm in the Northeast Region, and horizontal lights were installed at US 41/141 and County B with a permanent single lane configuration.  At Waube Lane and Allied St (installed by WISDOT near I-41) single verticals were installed on Allied St.  If a left turn signal or another lane is added in the future, the extra space on the monotube will allow for it to be installed. 

dvferyance

Quote from: peterj920 on May 30, 2016, 02:37:58 PM

The monotubes were installed for one lane probably because they expect to add more lanes in the future.   I'm in the Northeast Region, and horizontal lights were installed at US 41/141 and County B with a permanent single lane configuration.  At Waube Lane and Allied St (installed by WISDOT near I-41) single verticals were installed on Allied St.  If a left turn signal or another lane is added in the future, the extra space on the monotube will allow for it to be installed.
There is no way they would be able to add more lanes without ripping the whole intersection apart thus having to remove the signals they installed. There already was a good functioning pair of the old horizontal style signals there if a widening project was in the works they would have never replaced them to begin with

Milwaukee, WY

Quote from: dvferyance on May 31, 2016, 02:04:06 PM

There is no way they would be able to add more lanes without ripping the whole intersection apart thus having to remove the signals they installed. There already was a good functioning pair of the old horizontal style signals there if a widening project was in the works they would have never replaced them to begin with

And they're not opposed to ripping out recently installed monotubes either. The intersection of 27th and College was reconfigured with monotubes during the resurfacing project on the north leg in 2010. Now that the south leg is being reconstructed and widened, those monotubes were ripped out and will be replaced/repositioned. Seems wasteful to me.

dvferyance

Quote from: Milwaukee, WY on May 31, 2016, 02:09:43 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on May 31, 2016, 02:04:06 PM

And they're not opposed to ripping out recently installed monotubes either. The intersection of 27th and College was reconfigured with monotubes during the resurfacing project on the north leg in 2010. Now that the south leg is being reconstructed and widened, those monotubes were ripped out and will be replaced/repositioned. Seems wasteful to me.
It was very wasteful the project should have started just south of there where it ended from the 2010 reconstruction. But this is the only intersection I am aware of that this was done.

flmowi

Quote from: JREwing78 on May 25, 2016, 08:36:21 PM
Quote from: flmowi on May 24, 2016, 12:19:39 AM
Happened to be in Janesville today where I noticed they're putting (much-needed) lights at the Milton Ave (WIS 26) and 39/90 interchange.

The new traffic lights are trombone signals...so I guess they're not dead yet? :)

Those are temporary signals during the I-39/90 construction.

They're yanking out the loop ramps and putting in temporary on-ramps while construction work is ongoing to replace the interchange bridges and widen the interstate. Through there, there will be 4 lanes in each direction on the interstate mainline (for a total of 8 lanes), PLUS two additional lanes in each direction on separate carriageways for entering/exiting traffic. It's going to be a monster when it's finished.

During that process, they're converting the Hwy 26 interchange to a diverging-diamond style; that one will more than likely hew to the current vertical signal standard.

It sure is a pain driving to/from/in there now...that's for sure.  X-(

dvferyance

Quote from: flmowi on June 18, 2016, 01:17:25 AM
Quote from: JREwing78 on May 25, 2016, 08:36:21 PM
Quote from: flmowi on May 24, 2016, 12:19:39 AM
Happened to be in Janesville today where I noticed they're putting (much-needed) lights at the Milton Ave (WIS 26) and 39/90 interchange.

The new traffic lights are trombone signals...so I guess they're not dead yet? :)

Those are temporary signals during the I-39/90 construction.

They're yanking out the loop ramps and putting in temporary on-ramps while construction work is ongoing to replace the interchange bridges and widen the interstate. Through there, there will be 4 lanes in each direction on the interstate mainline (for a total of 8 lanes), PLUS two additional lanes in each direction on separate carriageways for entering/exiting traffic. It's going to be a monster when it's finished.

During that process, they're converting the Hwy 26 interchange to a diverging-diamond style; that one will more than likely hew to the current vertical signal standard.

It sure is a pain driving to/from/in there now...that's for sure.  X-(
Really when Wisdot uses temporary signals it's usually the wires.

JREwing78

Quote from: dvferyance on June 20, 2016, 06:50:59 PM
Really when Wisdot uses temporary signals it's usually the wires.

This set of signals is going to be around for a few years, not just for a summer.

There's PLENTY of temporary signals on Hwy 26 closer to downtown Janesville while that portion gets resurfaced.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.