News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Associating Christmas songs with roads

Started by hotdogPi, December 09, 2014, 03:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

(Technically, some of these are not Christmas songs.)

I have chosen only roads in the United States, but some songs might be better for non-US roads.

Baby It's Cold Outside - US 2
Blue Christmas: US 51 (Graceland; Elvis Presley sang Blue Christmas)
Feliz Navidad - I-2 (closeness to Mexico; I-8 could also work)
Jingle Bells - MA 60 (history of the song being written)
Let It Snow - I-90
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: ME 161 (Caribou ME, and caribou and reindeer are the same animal)
Sleigh Ride - MA 9 (Boston Pops)
White Christmas: NY 119 (White Plains, NY)
Winter Wonderland - I-89 (unlike the other "cold" routes, I-89 is more beautiful)

Chipmunk song (not sure what its actual title is): Are there any routes known for having chipmunks?

Do you have different ideas for those songs? Ideas for other songs?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on December 09, 2014, 03:02:27 PM

Chipmunk song (not sure what its actual title is): Are there any routes known for having chipmunks?

Its title is "The Chipmunk Song." Sometimes "(Christmas, Don't Be Late)" is added to the title.

Perhaps that song could be associated with US-17 due to the lyric "Want a plane that loops the loop." US-17 runs fairly close to the Flying Circus Aerodrome in Bealeton, Virginia, where there are a lot of biplanes that do all sorts of stunt flying. There used to be a golf course next door to the aerodrome. I played golf there several times and it was always weird how you'd be lining up your shot and then this biplane would fly overhead doing an upside-down loop.

As far as other songs, pick your least favorite highway. That road is the one to associate with "I Hate Christmas," sung by Oscar the Grouch.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

adventurernumber1

"There's No Place Like Home For The Holidays"

Selected lyrics: "I met a man who lives in Tennessee. He was a' headin' for Pennsylvania and some homemade pumpkin pie."

I-81!  :D
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Alps

The Dreidel song - I-278 (you're never quite sure where it will land)

Mr. Matté

As someone who hates it when music stations go all-Christmas for December, I-99.

US81

"Merry Christmas from the family" (Robert Earl Keen) - US 77

SteveG1988

General vacation/Holiday song

Holiday Road: For me I-95 due to visiting relatives using it.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Henry

Christmas in Dixie can be split with two highways: I-85 (connecting "Atlanta, Georgia" and "Charlotte, Caroline") and I-20 (connecting "Jackson, Mississippi" with the aforementioned Atlanta). Honorable mention goes to I-59, which goes past "Fort Payne, Alabama".

And for some reason, I associate I-90/I-94 (or I-55) going into downtown Chicago with the Johnny Mathis version of It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas; granted, he's not from the Windy City, but during my childhood, he was my favorite Christmas singer of all, with Nat King Cole and Bing Crosby following after him. And seeing the Loop lit up in bright lights and decorations galore is another factor for that selection, not to mention the snow that comes down around this time of the year every year, it seems. (Why I didn't select the namesake band instead, I honestly don't know.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

1995hoo

Regardless of roads, I think this particular version of a well-known hymn remains my favorite Christmas song:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kurumi

"Sleigh Bells" is I-5 in California's Central Valley. Repetitive, seems to last forever, and parts of it really stink.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kkt

Quote from: kurumi on December 10, 2014, 10:56:21 AM
"Sleigh Bells" is I-5 in California's Central Valley. Repetitive, seems to last forever, and parts of it really stink.

But there's hardly ever any snow in the Central Valley.  Just fog.

Molandfreak

AK 11: "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer"
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Laura

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on December 09, 2014, 07:12:43 PM

Selected lyrics: "I met a man who lives in Tennessee. He was a' headin' for Pennsylvania and some homemade pumpkin pie."

Every time I hear this song, I think of Jason (jpi) because he lives in TN and is from PA :)

iPhone

spooky

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on December 09, 2014, 07:12:43 PM

This song could also be applied to whichever cross-country Interstate has the least traffic.

"From Atlantic to Pacific, gee the traffic is terrific"

Or the worst traffic, if you assume the songwriter was the sarcastic type.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.