News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Lunar eclipse tonight

Started by hotdogPi, September 27, 2015, 09:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Lunar eclipse photos! The ones of the starry sky aren't quite as ideal as I'd hoped, but I'm happy with how you can see the Milky Way. I had about zero night-sky photography experience before this.

I was shooting in the driveway at the Valley of the Gods Bed and Breakfast except for that last photo, which was from the patio outside our room because I didn't want to leave the tripod somewhere people might walk because it was a 25-minute exposure. Here's a view of the area the next morning. The Moki Dugway runs up those cliffs.

Google Maps link to show you where we were if you're interested: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Valley+of+the+Gods+B%26B,+PO+Box+310307,+Valley+of+the+Gods+Rd,+Mexican+Hat,+UT+84531,+United+States/@37.2698758,-109.9060059,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x8737401fbc9412ed:0xf539044ec3144ba7

The bed and breakfast is the ONLY building around for miles and miles. This picture is from up near the top of the Moki Dugway and you can see the B&B way down below slightly left of center. It's a ranch house built in the 1930s and it often hosted film crews shooting movies in the area. The owner told us John Wayne once stayed in the room where we stayed.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vtk

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 04, 2015, 01:13:10 PMIt's a ranch house built in the 1930s and it often hosted film crews shooting movies in the area. The owner told us John Wayne once stayed in the room where we stayed.

They probably say that to every guest in every room.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kkt

1995hoo

Quote from: vtk on October 04, 2015, 01:28:11 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 04, 2015, 01:13:10 PMIt's a ranch house built in the 1930s and it often hosted film crews shooting movies in the area. The owner told us John Wayne once stayed in the room where we stayed.

They probably say that to every guest in every room.

Perhaps, though when they told us that at breakfast, all the other guests in the other rooms were surprised, so I doubt they tell everyone that.

I highly recommend the B&B to anyone who's in the area and is willing to spend a little more than the cheap motels charge.

Quote from: kkt on October 04, 2015, 03:15:10 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 04, 2015, 01:13:10 PM
Lunar eclipse photos!

Nice photos!  Thanks for posting.

Thanks. I haven't finished sorting through the pictures and deleting the bad ones because we have almost 2000 of them (not including dashcam videos), but I wanted to get these posted because I said I'd post them here.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.