News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Favorite Licence Plate Design

Started by 3web, August 12, 2016, 07:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3web

So this thread will focus on your favorite licence plate design.
It can be from any state, or any country.

My favorite licence plate is the Nevada 1987 passenger issue, AKA The Bighorn Sheep plate.

This design was used until 2002 when it was replaced by the "Sunset" design which is still used today.

fun fact: I own one of these plate :D
Who knows where the road goes? Of course! Google maps!

7/8

Am I limited to just one choice? This could be difficult! :-D

Well if I had to choose a #1, I'm thinking I would go with the 1994-2000 Kansas plates, which got the ALPCA Plate of the Year Award in 1994

A couple others I really like:

1970 Quebec plates

1999-present Maine plates

Vermont plates in general, but I specifically choose 1985-89 plates

^ I took the above plates from 15q.net, a great website for North American 1969-present licence plates.
--------

As for my "licence plate collection", the only one I have is my Mom's personalized plate from the 80's. The camera flash doesn't do it justice!

3web

Quote from: 7/8 on August 12, 2016, 08:13:06 PM

Well if I had to choose a #1, I'm thinking I would go with the 1994-2000 Kansas plates, which got the ALPCA Plate of the Year Award in 1994

1970 Quebec plates

^ I took the above plates from 15q.net, a great website for North American 1969-present licence plates.
--------

As for my "licence plate collection", the only one I have is my Mom's personalized plate from the 80's. The camera flash doesn't do it justice!

Nice selection of plates! Out of your list, my favorite is the Quebec plate.

jakeroot

Alaska -- I simply like yellow for license plates:

British Columbia is my favorite Canadian plate -- close second is Quebec:

Max Rockatansky

Always dug the black on gold California plate:

The old desert red AZ plate wasn't bad either:

Incidentally I think the newer Arizona plate is the best of the modern vinyl designs...by why in the hell did Four Peaks get picked over the Grand Canyon?

CtrlAltDel

I always liked the old Illinois design. Simple and legible and unobtrusive.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

3web

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 12, 2016, 10:56:18 PM

I like that plate design! It also kind of reminds me of the older NYPD cars,

kphoger

Here are my top ones, in chronological order by first issue.
I like striking colors that still leave the serial number clearly legible.

1983 Oklahoma

1984 Utah

1984 Manitoba

1986 Northwest Territories

2000 New Mexico

2005 Oaxaca

2005 Nicaragua

2012 Guerrero
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wanderer2575

My favorite Michigan plate was the Great Lakes Splendor design, which was discontinued a few years ago.  With Michigan's stupid law that plates older than 10 years must be replaced regardless of condition, I had to change mine for a lesser design.

3web

Quote from: kphoger on August 13, 2016, 11:42:07 AM
Here are my top ones, in chronological order by first issue.
I like striking colors that still leave the serial number clearly legible.

1983 Oklahoma

1984 Utah

1984 Manitoba

1986 Northwest Territories

2000 New Mexico

2005 Oaxaca

2005 Nicaragua

2012 Guerrero

Nice list of plates! Only one that I kind of dislike is the Utah plate. It's just too boring for me. But my favorite one is the Northwest Territories because it's a bear!  :)

7/8

Quote from: 3web on August 13, 2016, 02:36:24 PM
Nice list of plates! Only one that I kind of dislike is the Utah plate. It's just too boring for me. But my favorite one is the Northwest Territories because it's a bear!  :)

I also find that Utah plate too plain for my taste. As a skier, I really like the 1992-2007 Utah plates, but I also think they strike a good balance between legibility, while still being interesting and unique.

I'm surprised I forgot about the NWT bear plates. Tennessee in the 30's, 40's and 50's had state-shaped plates that looked pretty good. It's a shame they got rid of them.

Here's one from licensepl8s.com

--------

I'd also like to add another one among my favourites, the 1997-present Rhode Island plates.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 13, 2016, 11:54:00 AM
My favorite Michigan plate was the Great Lakes Splendor design, which was discontinued a few years ago.  With Michigan's stupid law that plates older than 10 years must be replaced regardless of condition, I had to change mine for a lesser design.

I always like the late 90s one with the Model T on it personally

slorydn1

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 12, 2016, 10:56:18 PM

I have one of these laying around in a box somewhere in the attic. I might have to send Jr on a scavenger hunt up there (it's to hot up there for me right now lol)
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Ned Weasel

My favorite has always been the 2003-2005 Nebraska license plate with the yellow/orange theme.  It made Nebraska seem exotic and alluring, and if you can sell Nebraska to me, then you must be doing something right!  Example here: http://www.15q.net/us3/ne03.jpg , from this page: http://www.15q.net/ne.html
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

kphoger

Quote from: stridentweasel on August 17, 2016, 04:17:26 PM
My favorite has always been the 2003-2005 Nebraska license plate with the yellow/orange theme.  It made Nebraska seem exotic and alluring, and if you can sell Nebraska to me, then you must be doing something right!  Example here: http://www.15q.net/us3/ne03.jpg , from this page: http://www.15q.net/ne.html

I grew up less than 20 miles from Nebraska, and that issue has been my least favorite of all from there.  Too dark, maybe.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman

My favorite license plate is still the New Hampshire white on dark green embossed issue in the 1960s and 1970s.  My sister had general issue plates - two letter, four number format -  that started with 'MD'.  She was always afraid of being mistaken for a doctor because of those plates.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

Quote from: roadman on August 18, 2016, 04:07:22 PM
New Hampshire white on dark green embossed issue in the 1960s and 1970s ... two letter, four number format

www.15q.net
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Just give me the old Massachusetts green-on-white and I'll be happy.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

AnchorGuy319

Yes I agree with you about 1994-2000 Kansas plates and I lived in Kansas for 33 years.  The picture you posted showing LB county at top left of the plate is Labette County (LB) where my mother was born in.  It is pretty cool to see this plate showing LB county.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: 7/8 on August 12, 2016, 08:13:06 PM

1970 Quebec plates

--------

kurumi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 12, 2016, 09:54:01 PM

You can now order the "1960s Legacy Plate" as an option for vanity plates in CA: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/legacyplates/index. I see a lot of these around the Bay Area. If I did a vanity plate, I'd select that option too.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kurumi on August 29, 2016, 12:35:53 AM

You can now order the "1960s Legacy Plate" as an option for vanity plates in CA: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/legacyplates/index. I see a lot of these around the Bay Area. If I did a vanity plate, I'd select that option too.

Yep, and I have one for my Challenger.  Best part was that i even got the plate number that I wanted...I was actually surprised it wasn't taken.

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 29, 2016, 07:09:50 AM

Yep, and I have one for my Challenger.  Best part was that i even got the plate number that I wanted...I was actually surprised it wasn't taken.

"MAD MAX"?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on August 29, 2016, 11:51:15 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 29, 2016, 07:09:50 AM

"MAD MAX"?

Negative, but something pretty appropriate for the car.  I don't think the Interceptor ever had a plate on in the first Mad Max movie.  All I recall was a couple MFP logos.   Suffice to say if I ever get my hands on a 73 Falcon XB GT I'll have to probably to get MFP something as the plate

7/8

I saw a few unique licence plates this past week (photos in order of increasing resolution :))

An Ontario 1931 plate (black-on-yellow), possibly the first time I've ever seen one of these! And it happened to be on Fairway Rd in Kitchener, right by my house.

A Canada plate (for government vehicles), which I saw in a hotel parking lot in Pembroke, ON. CFB Petawawa is nearby, and likewise I saw a soldier with his uniform in the breakfast area one morning (maybe this is from his car?). I've seen these on occasion before, but it's still weird to see a plate that says "Canada" :)

An Ontario Diplomat plate (white-on-red), which I not-surprisingly saw in Ottawa. They're actually not hard to find in Ottawa, but I simply don't make it up there that often.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 7/8 on September 06, 2016, 12:35:13 AM
A Canada plate (for government vehicles), which I saw in a hotel parking lot in Pembroke, ON. CFB Petawawa is nearby, and likewise I saw a soldier with his uniform in the breakfast area one morning (maybe this is from his car?). I've seen these on occasion before, but it's still weird to see a plate that says "Canada" :)

An Ontario Diplomat plate (white-on-red), which I not-surprisingly saw in Ottawa. They're actually not hard to find in Ottawa, but I simply don't make it up there that often.

I think I have seen both (!) of these on the streets of Washington, D.C. 

As an aside, Canada is the only nation allowed to have its Washington embassy on the "monumental" part of Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W. between the U.S. Capitol Building and the Treasury Department building.  I think this is to symbolize just how important Canada is to the U.S.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.