News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Shell in South Jersey

Started by 02 Park Ave, February 07, 2017, 02:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Park Ave

In the past few weeks I have noticed three service stations which previously marketed Shell products now carry no branding.  They are in Gibbsboro and Marlton.

Does anyone know why this is happening?
C-o-H

jeffandnicole

I believe most stations contract with their brand name.  It could be these guys have all figured it's cheaper for them to go brandless.  Or maybe Shell wanted too much money for the brand. Maybe they have to maintain certain standards, etc. 

But really, it probably all comes down to money.

jeffandnicole

BTW, the Shell in Washington Twp (Intersection of 168, 42 & ACX) also had its name removed from the signs there as well.

sbeaver44

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 07, 2017, 02:33:31 PM
I believe most stations contract with their brand name.  It could be these guys have all figured it's cheaper for them to go brandless.  Or maybe Shell wanted too much money for the brand. Maybe they have to maintain certain standards, etc. 

But really, it probably all comes down to money.
Sounds right.  I noticed a few years ago many of the BP stations in Central PA suddenly switched to Gulf all around the same time.

02 Park Ave

The three stations to which I referred have not been rebranded.  They just had any reference to Shell either removed or covered over.  This all happened at least a month ago.
C-o-H

SteveG1988

I've noticed this too. Maybe shell got too expensive?
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

texaskdog

Very true.  I see stations change all the time.  I work for a one-owner store and the only reason we are shell is he makes a lot of money off it, we get 100s on their surveys and he wins cruises and trips to Hawaii.

J Route Z

I have noticed this happening with a couple of Gulf stations along Route 130 in Robbinsville. How do they expect to attract customers with no sign/branding?

02 Park Ave

The former CITGO station in Marlton is now unbranded and no longer sells Diesel fuel.
C-o-H

MASTERNC

I've even seen Shell stations in the Philly suburbs dropping the brand.  One became a Liberty and the other just covered up or removed the Shell logos (either unbranded or going to another brand soon).

02 Park Ave

The former Shell station at Brace and Kresson Roads in Cherry Hill is now a Conoco station.
C-o-H

roadman65

In Florida we still have Shells as many Circle K Stores sell their brand.  I do not know if its a contract between Circle K and them or not, but it could be a regional thing like when Gulf stopped selling down here in Florida but Chevron in NJ back in the 80's changed Gulf around the same time.  I remember Gulf was a big name up the coast.

Then again so was Phillips but now I have only seen Phillips in the midwest as pretty much dead along the I-95 corridor.  I think brand names are a regional thing.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jp the roadgeek

I would imagine there would be quite a few Shell stations from Central NJ northward, as they are the provider for the Gas Rewards program for Stop & Shop.  There's no specific name for the store other than "Mart"

We have a couple of Phillips 66's in CT.  I believe there has only been one Circle K in the entire state that was in Hartford at the corner of Sisson and Capitol Avenues. but that is long gone.  I remember they once were going to be located in the Mass Pike service areas, but MTA decided to go with another brand.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

J Route Z

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on June 30, 2017, 11:15:59 PM
The former Shell station at Brace and Kresson Roads in Cherry Hill is now a Conoco station.
Oh jeez, that one has been a Shell for as long as I remember! Used to live down the road from there.

epzik8

Shell is my NASCAR guy Joey Logano's primary sponsor alongside Pennzoil. Isn't it weird that his one-time rival Matt Kenseth now has Circle K sponsorship.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

bzakharin

The Mobil on NJ 73 in Berlin became a Lukoil when the latter purchased many of the Mobil gas stations in Southern NJ. Around this time Exxon Mobil decided that all service stations retained in New Jersey would be Exxon brand except for a handful in northern NJ near the PA border. Then in early 2016 the Berlin station became a Mobil (not Exxon) again. A bit later the same thing happened on US 30 also in Berlin. Wonder what caused that.

roadman65

The one I bought gas from yesterday was $2.25 a gallon considering the others are at about $2.00 lately.  It was the Shell that was once Racetrac on Orange Avenue in Taft.   Though not in NJ, I am wondering if Shell is one to charge higher than the others.  If so that could be the factor for it being we all hate high gas prices.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

02 Park Ave

The former Shell station at CR561 & Clementon Road in Gibbsboro is still unbranded; it has been that way for almost six months.  The red and yellow canopy has been painted white.  Regular is being sold at $2.19 per gallon.
C-o-H

sharkyfour

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 02, 2017, 10:25:49 AM
We have a couple of Phillips 66's in CT.  I believe there has only been one Circle K in the entire state that was in Hartford at the corner of Sisson and Capitol Avenues. but that is long gone.

The gas station on Route 32 at the Willimantic/Mansfield line was a Circle K for a few years back in the 2000's.  It closed for a while and then re-opened as a Mobil a couple years back.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 02, 2017, 10:25:49 AM
I would imagine there would be quite a few Shell stations from Central NJ northward, as they are the provider for the Gas Rewards program for Stop & Shop.  There's no specific name for the store other than "Mart"

We have a couple of Phillips 66's in CT.  I believe there has only been one Circle K in the entire state that was in Hartford at the corner of Sisson and Capitol Avenues. but that is long gone.  I remember they once were going to be located in the Mass Pike service areas, but MTA decided to go with another brand.

Speaking of which, where are the Phillips 66's in CT? I'm fairly sure there's one in Colchester.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

02 Park Ave

The former Shelł station at Route 73 and Jackson Road ia now unbranded.
C-o-H

02 Park Ave

One of the former Shell stations in Gibbsboro is now a Gulf station.  The other one remains unbranded; however, it is listed on GasBuddy as being an "Arfa" station.
C-o-H

02 Park Ave

The former Shell station on Route 73 in Marlton is now a Gulf station.
C-o-H

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.