News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

VMT Better than Official GDP?

Started by 3467, April 07, 2013, 10:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-04-06/these-charts-better-not-represent-true-state-us-economy

I ignored the gas consumption because we are much more efficient than years ago but VMT may be a good proxy
Last month it looks we only imported 7.3 million bpd .

What do you think of VMT as better GDP indicator?

NE2

I think you know the flaws of that, given that you posted this in mass transit...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

My internet was acting up I was aiming for off -topic. I thought it did not post at all!
I guess you could add mass-transit ridership and airline too.

deathtopumpkins

I don't see how you can blame your internet acting up for posting something in the wrong board, but if you were aiming for Off Topic, then it has been moved there.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Duke87

Purchasing trends of one product do not indicate the whole economy. Sales of video tapes have dropped drastically in the last 15 years, too - but that doesn't mean the economy has equally crashed.

With regards to miles driven, what you are seeing is the supply/demand effect of the price of gas going up. Since gas is more expensive, people find ways to drive less. Be it by combining errands more, moving closer to work, taking public transit instead, or going on fewer road trips.

And perhaps that does disturb the economy a bit because the more people have to pay for energy the less they have to spend on other things. Of course, even then, it benefits the oil companies, so the money doesn't vanish.

I wonder what the graph would look like if you multiplied the gallons of gas sold by the inflaton-adjusted price per gallon. Betcha then the graph wouldn't have such a dip.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Duke87 on April 08, 2013, 12:45:14 PM
I wonder what the graph would look like if you multiplied the gallons of gas sold by the inflaton-adjusted price per gallon. Betcha then the graph wouldn't have such a dip.

I agree.  What has presumably declined are the non-work discretionary trips (and VMT associated with same).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.