News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pocket City: mobile SimCity-type game

Started by kurumi, October 12, 2018, 01:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

I haven't played this yet (and am not getting kickbacks for it), but heard about it today: a low-res city builder sim for phones and tablets.

A few interesting things:
* has a SimCity-like traffic model, with R,C,I zones (https://blog.pocketcitygame.com/traffic-management-in-pocket-city/)
* not free to play: costs $4 (oh noes!)
* but has no in-app purchases. Apparently there are some opt-in ads to watch if you want bonus items, but you can play without them

Has anyone played this?
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

abefroman329

I have. I would say it's worth $4, but no more. I get the sense that there isn't much that's unique from game to game, so not much replayability. It's really a pre-SimCity 2000 clone, since there's no three-dimensional terrain. Also, I wouldn't play it on a device that's smaller than an iPad.

kevinb1994

Isn't there already a SimCity game for mobile devices, BuildIt?

inkyatari

Quote from: kevinb1994 on October 12, 2018, 03:44:36 AM
Isn't there already a SimCity game for mobile devices, BuildIt?

Yeah, but that game is a blatant cash grab by ea. I played it a while, semed fun, but then it took so long to build things unless you had specific resources, or oodles of real world cash.  No thanks.

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

abefroman329

I hope there's a hell just so whoever invented "freemium"  games can go there when they die.

hotdogPi

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 12, 2018, 01:55:52 PM
I hope there's a hell just so whoever invented "freemium"  games can go there when they die.

There seems to be three categories of "freemium" games:
1. Free trial; pay to unlock the rest of the game. This is no worse than charging for the app itself.
2. Paying for things that don't make a difference in gameplay (generally cosmetic items). TF2, CS:GO, and Dota 2 fall into this category.
3. Pay to win. This is the only type I have a problem with, but there are a lot of them.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Personally I'd rather have the original Sim City or Sim City 2000 ported to the phone, sounds like a blantant rip of the original.  I still play the old games now and then on my DOS emulator. 

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 12, 2018, 03:33:10 PM
Personally I'd rather have the original Sim City or Sim City 2000 ported to the phone, sounds like a blantant rip of the original.  I still play the old games now and then on my DOS emulator.
Oh it's worse than either of these.

inkyatari

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1 on October 12, 2018, 02:01:31 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on October 12, 2018, 01:55:52 PM

There seems to be three categories of "freemium" games:
1. Free trial; pay to unlock the rest of the game. This is no worse than charging for the app itself.
2. Paying for things that don't make a difference in gameplay (generally cosmetic items). TF2, CS:GO, and Dota 2 fall into this category.
3. Pay to win. This is the only type I have a problem with, but there are a lot of them.
Yeah, 3 is the only one I hate.  There's also 1(a), which is "pay to remove ads, gameplay is completely the same whether you have ads or don't have ads," which is also fine.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.