News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NJ - 295/76/42 Construction Projects

Started by jeffandnicole, January 23, 2013, 09:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 16, 2017, 06:27:04 PM
The new-new 295 North lanes were opened this morning.  Other than the tendency to want to turn a few hundred feet sooner, they were fine.  The lanes have a seemingly sharp curve, but at the 45 mph limit the car easily handled them (it's worth noting that the construction speed limit continues to be 10 mph *faster* than the original lanes). 

It meets up with the 76E to 295N ramp quickly, and maintains 5 lanes for a considerable distance before narrowing to 4 lanes, before the right lane becomes the exit only lane for Exit 28.  I'm not even sure if the final design in this area is even 5 lanes wide...I forget if the 2 lane ramps merge into 1 lane before or after they meet up with the 295 mainline.

In other news, the new traffic pattern on 295 South between Rt. 168 and Exit 26 remains a clusterfuck.

I agree with the 295 South part. Unfortunately I don't see that changing any time soon.

bzakharin

Quote from: danlb_2000 on September 17, 2017, 07:59:29 AM
The new-new 295 North lanes were opened this morning.  Other than the tendency to want to turn a few hundred feet sooner, they were fine.  The lanes have a seemingly sharp curve, but at the 45 mph limit the car easily handled them (it's worth noting that the construction speed limit continues to be 10 mph *faster* than the original lanes). 

It meets up with the 76E to 295N ramp quickly, and maintains 5 lanes for a considerable distance before narrowing to 4 lanes, before the right lane becomes the exit only lane for Exit 28.  I'm not even sure if the final design in this area is even 5 lanes wide...I forget if the 2 lane ramps merge into 1 lane before or after they meet up with the 295 mainline.

In other news, the new traffic pattern on 295 South between Rt. 168 and Exit 26 remains a clusterfuck.

I agree with the 295 South part. Unfortunately I don't see that changing any time soon.
I still don't understand why they can't simply redraw the lanes such that there are two thru lanes for I-295 by either having a single lane exiting to I-76 instead of two, or making the entrance from 168 a regular acceleration lane instead of a thru lane. It doesn't require any pavement changes, just lane re-striping.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on September 18, 2017, 09:25:12 AM
Quote from: danlb_2000 on September 17, 2017, 07:59:29 AM

I still don't understand why they can't simply redraw the lanes such that there are two thru lanes for I-295 by either having a single lane exiting to I-76 instead of two, or making the entrance from 168 a regular acceleration lane instead of a thru lane. It doesn't require any pavement changes, just lane re-striping.

Portable VMS sign stated 295 SB will have a new traffic pattern this weekend 'at Exit 28'.  Being that nothing obvious needs to happen in the area, I wonder if they will restripe the roadway to provide for the Center Lane split again, as it's always been.  If so, I'm glad they acknowledged the issue. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 04, 2017, 10:23:08 AM
Portable VMS sign stated 295 SB will have a new traffic pattern this weekend 'at Exit 28'.  Being that nothing obvious needs to happen in the area, I wonder if they will restripe the roadway to provide for the Center Lane split again, as it's always been.  If so, I'm glad they acknowledged the issue. 

This is what they did do, and I'm thinking they make it worse.  I figured they would've merged in traffic from 168 South, then quickly widen it to 4 lanes (2 for 76/676, 2 for 295/42).  Instead, they're keeping it 3 lanes almost up to the split, where the 'Exit Only' sign closest to the split appears to be pointing down at the left lane (still correct) and the center lane...which isn't true anymore.

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 07, 2017, 12:43:53 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 04, 2017, 10:23:08 AM

This is what they did do, and I'm thinking they make it worse.  I figured they would've merged in traffic from 168 South, then quickly widen it to 4 lanes (2 for 76/676, 2 for 295/42).  Instead, they're keeping it 3 lanes almost up to the split, where the 'Exit Only' sign closest to the split appears to be pointing down at the left lane (still correct) and the center lane...which isn't true anymore.

I drove through it this morning and it was a mess. People have gotten used to the 168 ramp being a through lane, so they should have put up signs making it clear that it was no longer one.

bzakharin

I finally drove that segment of 295 Southbound for the first time since they changed the striping (there have been constant backups there, but not this morning). One thing I noticed that has not been mentioned is that the barrier between 295 and 42/76 Southbound is gone replaced by cones. Are they planning to temporarily move one these roads onto the other one or move the location of the 295 to 42 exit?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on October 31, 2017, 10:10:26 AM
I finally drove that segment of 295 Southbound for the first time since they changed the striping (there have been constant backups there, but not this morning). One thing I noticed that has not been mentioned is that the barrier between 295 and 42/76 Southbound is gone replaced by cones. Are they planning to temporarily move one these roads onto the other one or move the location of the 295 to 42 exit?

At least for now, a small portion of that barrier is gone.  I'm not sure exactly what that's for currently, unless it's for overnight construction activity and they can push traffic onto either 42 or 295 rather than closing the entire highway, or for construction access when they build the temporary overpass for Browning Road. 

Eventually, 295 South will split into 2 cattleshutes, or 1 cattleshute to the right, and merge with 42 on the left.  That won't happen fully though until the existing Browning Road overpass is demolished.

jeffandnicole

Per this press release: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2017/120117.shtm , this sign and sign structure will be removed tonight: https://goo.gl/maps/rAngkUYkmkH2 .  The sign structure is original from when the highway and interchange was built, but the APL sign is only about 4 years old (its twin, located on the other side of the Browning Road overpass, didn't last 3 years).

The 295 mainline will be closed tonight for its removal, with interment stoppages on the 76/42 side.  The signed detour will send motorists up to I-676 before they can make a U-turn, although anyone in the know (or with GPSs) will probably take the I-76, Exit 1C ramp (I guess NJDOT doesn't want to promote crossing 5 lanes of traffic in about a 1/2 mile distance!)

jeffandnicole

Going thru NJDOT's website for the project, I happened to catch this page, which was updated recently: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/roads/rt295/contracts.shtm .  The project is now not scheduled for completion until Winter, 2024!  That will make this an 11 year project for this one interchange.

The other pages with timelines have not been recently updated, and still show 2023 (or earlier) completion dates.

jeffandnicole

This site provides a short flyover simulation of what the new highway will look like, from the perspective of someone on 295 North.

http://www.rdvsystems.com/portfolio/i295-direct-connection-nj/

danlb_2000

They also have a video of the 295/42 Missing Moves project. This is going to be a bigger project then I was originally thinking. Looks like they will need to rebuild the creek road overpass over 295 to make room for the new ramps.

http://www.rdvsystems.com/portfolio/i295-missing-moves-nj/

jeffandnicole

Quote from: danlb_2000 on January 01, 2018, 08:49:05 AM
They also have a video of the 295/42 Missing Moves project. This is going to be a bigger project then I was originally thinking. Looks like they will need to rebuild the creek road overpass over 295 to make room for the new ramps.

Yep! (I posted this in the main NJ forum as well). There's a lot going on with the the 42/Creek Rd interchange also.

The original plan had longer ramps that would touch 295 south of the Creek Rd overpass, which wouldn't require the overpass to be rebuilt.

danlb_2000

They reached a very noticeable milestone over the past few weeks with the installation of the beams over the 76 East to 295 North ramp tunnel. I am wondering if both the ramp from 295 south along with the ramp from 76 will have to be temporarily routed through here to allow of the mainline work to continue.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: danlb_2000 on October 12, 2018, 09:09:26 PM
They reached a very noticeable milestone over the past few weeks with the installation of the beams over the 76 East to 295 North ramp tunnel. I am wondering if both the ramp from 295 south along with the ramp from 76 will have to be temporarily routed through here to allow of the mainline work to continue.

That's what I'm thinking. I was a bit surprised this was going to be completely covered. Quick work too! As I was going to work the beams were being transported on 295 south each day.

Beltway

Yes, very long approaches and a long bridge, plus widening of I-295 and NJ-42.  Over 3 miles of total project length.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 12, 2018, 09:52:32 PM
Quote from: danlb_2000 on October 12, 2018, 09:09:26 PM

That's what I'm thinking. I was a bit surprised this was going to be completely covered. Quick work too! As I was going to work the beams were being transported on 295 south each day.

I was a little surprised at that also, but looking at the animation of the final configuration it looks like the mainline sits right on top of the tunnel instead of being raised above it, so it looks like the roof structure will directly support the road over it.

http://www.rdvsystems.com/portfolio/i295-direct-connection-nj/

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on October 12, 2018, 10:17:46 PM

Yes, very long approaches and a long bridge, plus widening of I-295 and NJ-42.  Over 3 miles of total project length.

Since that video was made, they removed the auxiliary lane from 295 so it'll remain 3 lanes between 47 and those ramps, and removed the roundabout you can see below the overpass for traffic using the Creek Rd exit off of Rt. 42.

danlb_2000

Does anyone know what is going on with the temporary Browning Road overpass? They finished the supports on either side a while back but I haven't seen any progress since then.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: danlb_2000 on December 16, 2018, 09:36:15 AM
Does anyone know what is going on with the temporary Browning Road overpass? They finished the supports on either side a while back but I haven't seen any progress since then.

Haven't seen or heard anything.

The killer is the prep for the temp bridge has been gong on for a few years. The actual time to replace the bridge will probably be just a matter of months!

On the other hand, they're finally moving on the overpass portion of 295 near the New St. Mary's cemetery.

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 21, 2016, 08:08:03 AM

Looking thru some of the plans that were made available publically, I took notice of "W3-3, Signal Ahead"...on 295 North!

Apparently for some phases of the construction when they are building the 295 mainline overpass, they'll use traffic lights at the point where temporary 295 North and the 76E to 295N ramp meet to stop traffic for construction activities, as the 295 mainline is constructed over the ramp.  I would guess they would only use this at night...probably in a fashion similar to how lights are used at drawbridges.

I noticed this morning that some sort of traffic lights have been put up on the entrance to the tunnel that will eventually be the 76 West to 295 North ramp. It was a little dark so I couldn't get a good look at them. Not really sure what purpose they would server at that location.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: danlb_2000 on January 02, 2019, 09:55:03 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 21, 2016, 08:08:03 AM

Looking thru some of the plans that were made available publically, I took notice of "W3-3, Signal Ahead"...on 295 North!

Apparently for some phases of the construction when they are building the 295 mainline overpass, they'll use traffic lights at the point where temporary 295 North and the 76E to 295N ramp meet to stop traffic for construction activities, as the 295 mainline is constructed over the ramp.  I would guess they would only use this at night...probably in a fashion similar to how lights are used at drawbridges.

I noticed this morning that some sort of traffic lights have been put up on the entrance to the tunnel that will eventually be the 76 West to 295 North ramp. It was a little dark so I couldn't get a good look at them. Not really sure what purpose they would server at that location.

I saw that this morning too.  Because it's considered a tunnel, they need lane controls in case they need to close the tunnel.  Since all 5 lanes will soon be going thru the tunnel, they have all those lights up.

If it's anything like the lights for the Trenton Tunnel, they will always be green, even when lanes are closed.  When there was some sort of malfunction and the lights were flashing red (do not enter), they were universally ignored.

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 02, 2019, 10:06:48 AM

I saw that this morning too.  Because it's considered a tunnel, they need lane controls in case they need to close the tunnel.  Since all 5 lanes will soon be going thru the tunnel, they have all those lights up.

If it's anything like the lights for the Trenton Tunnel, they will always be green, even when lanes are closed.  When there was some sort of malfunction and the lights were flashing red (do not enter), they were universally ignored.

I got a better look at them today, and a picture which I will post another time. The lights are on normal traffic light polls, not mounted to the bridge structure. There are 6 of them it total, 5 over the road, and one on the left pole. They all have three lights.

NJRoadfan

I saw that on Tuesday driving home. The traffic lights in the middle of that mess look a bit out of place. The 3 car accident on the curve in front of it on I-295 north just added to the confusion.

jeffandnicole

I-295 South at the AlJo Curve will be closed tonight for milling and repaving.  The detour is the longated detour on I-76 West to I-676 North to make the U-Turn at Exit 1 (Collings Ave).  This is probably the safe detour.  The way most people will go will be I-76 West to the first exit (Exit 1C), Left on Market, Right onto I-76 East, cross 5 lanes, then take the left exit for I-295 South.

https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2019/010319.shtm

Speaking of the Aljo curve, the large left arrow one sees now only has 1 straight light working (the left most - in <----) along with the arrow itself.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.