AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Cover Songs in Music  (Read 45576 times)

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:33:07 PM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
Re: Cover Songs in Music
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2012, 04:55:08 AM »

I didn't know "25 or 6 to 4" wasn't originally by Chicago. I always thought Chicago was the original performer of that song.

Artists who have covered their own songs.

Chicago covered "25 or 6 to 4" on one of their late 80s albums.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Dr Frankenstein

• Canada Freezes Before Your Roads.

• Last Login: September 01, 2022, 10:24:33 PM
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2012, 09:56:58 AM »

Every version of "Whiskey in the Jar" is a cover.
And Metallica's is terrible.

agentsteel53

• invisible hand

• long live button copy!

• Last Login: November 21, 2016, 09:58:39 AM
    • AARoads Shield Gallery
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »

Nine Inch Nails and Linkin Park, among others, have done remix albums sampling or in some cases reimagining their earlier work.

Sisters of Mercy as well.  "Some Girls Wander By Mistake" is a 1992 album that is ostensibly "greatest hits" but contains reworked versions of some of the songs.  this ranges from a few small changes in verse/chorus structure ("More") to a complete musical re-imagining ("Temple of Love"). 

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

• invisible hand

• long live button copy!

• Last Login: November 21, 2016, 09:58:39 AM
    • AARoads Shield Gallery
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2012, 10:12:29 AM »

Hocus Pocus was done by two bands.   A heavy medal band and some other artist who yodeled throughout the song.  Both versions were played on classic rock in the 90s, although the songs were originally done years earlier.

huh.  I've heard the Focus version and the cover by Helloween, but Helloween is sufficiently obscure in the US that I have not once heard any of their songs on the radio.

I didn't know there was another well-known version other than the one by Focus.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2012, 01:28:41 PM »

I didn't know "25 or 6 to 4" wasn't originally by Chicago. I always thought Chicago was the original performer of that song.

You misunderstood. Chicago did originally perform the song, on the Chicago II album. They recorded another version of it in the late 80s.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:37:30 PM
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2012, 11:44:11 PM »

What ever happen to Rod Stewart doing new stuff that is original?  It seems all he has done lately is cover songs, like his Soul collection that was, I believe, his last studion album.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bugo

• The Devil has arrived!

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 08:22:28 PM
    • No Frills Blog
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2012, 01:06:26 AM »

Hocus Pocus was done by two bands.   A heavy medal band and some other artist who yodeled throughout the song.  Both versions were played on classic rock in the 90s, although the songs were originally done years earlier.

huh.  I've heard the Focus version and the cover by Helloween, but Helloween is sufficiently obscure in the US that I have not once heard any of their songs on the radio.

Iron Maiden released a cover in 2006 on the Different World single.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 01:16:24 AM by bugo »

bugo

• The Devil has arrived!

• No Frills Blog
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2012, 01:10:22 AM »

I usually hate Beatles covers.
But I usually like U2 covers.

Anyone else like U2 covers?

I hate U2, but I like Johnny Cash's version of One.

NYYPhil777

• The highway most St. Louisans don't know.

• Last Login: February 15, 2013, 03:23:48 AM
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2012, 02:33:52 AM »

You misunderstood. Chicago did originally perform the song, on the Chicago II album. They recorded another version of it in the late 80s.
Then "25 or 6 to 4" by Chicago wasn't a cover song to begin with. Thanks for the information.
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

DandyDan

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:00:02 AM
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2012, 06:18:32 AM »

There's the album the Flaming Lips did where they redid all of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.  It was a particular favorite of one of my old friends who used to work in a record store, not long before they killed all record stores.

Then there's those godawful "Bluegrass Tribute to Metallica" or whatever musical groups or styles of music you can think of.

Finally, there is Weird Al Yankovic doing Bohemian Rhapsody on accordion.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:08:03 PM
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2012, 01:33:12 PM »

The song "Love Hurts" was originally performed by the Everly Brothers and once covered by Roy Orbison but they got eclipsed by the cover made by Nazareth.

roadman65

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:37:30 PM
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2012, 05:53:42 PM »

Also, Paul Young's Everytime You Go Away is actual a cover for Hall and Oates, who actually released the song, but never made a hit of it.  So no one really knows it existed either.

I am not thinking the same as the Judge who made it legal that George Harrison covered Hes So Fine (an old 50s tune) in My Sweet Lord. To me I see some similarities in the two songs, but they are definetely not the same song!  I think the ex Beatle got the screws put to him.  Also, My Sweet Lord is a much better song than the Chiffons could have ever done.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tchafe1978

• Last Login: Today at 12:09:03 AM
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2012, 09:54:46 PM »

Iron Maiden released a cover in 2006 on the Different World single.

There is also a version done by Gary Hoey, and came out in 1993 or 1994. I remember this version being all over the radio, and is probably my favorite cover of Hocus Pocus.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2012, 10:11:27 PM »

Dream Theater has done albums, released to its fan club members, which are covers of the entire Metallica Master of Puppets and Iron Maiden The Number of the Beast albums. The entire second side of the A Change of Seasons album is comprised of live versions of cover songs.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NYYPhil777

• The highway most St. Louisans don't know.

• Last Login: February 15, 2013, 03:23:48 AM
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2012, 01:32:35 AM »

There's the album the Flaming Lips did where they redid all of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.  It was a particular favorite of one of my old friends who used to work in a record store, not long before they killed all record stores.

Then there's those godawful "Bluegrass Tribute to Metallica" or whatever musical groups or styles of music you can think of.

Finally, there is Weird Al Yankovic doing Bohemian Rhapsody on accordion.
:sombrero: Weird Al covers songs on his polkas. That would be called the "Bohemian Polka" on Alapalooza (1993). He's also known to cover or parody (or even make original songs) based off the musical style of an artist, and not always a particular song.
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

jp the roadgeek

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:11:46 PM
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2012, 12:15:08 AM »

Johnny Cash also does a nice cover of Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down".  Little slower and plaintive.

Dylan's voice is so one of a kind that covering Dylan in a pure sense can almost be impossible.  There are some decent covers of Dylan songs out there.  The Byrds Mr. Tamborine Man, Chimes of Freedom, and My Back Pages.  Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower is more well known than Dylan's own version.  And The Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia Band did countless covers of Dylan songs in their concert rotation. Usually Garcia or Weir would sing, depending on the style of song, except Lesh did sing Just Like Tom Thumb Blues.

One final song that is interesting is "Because the Night", which was co-written by Patti Smith and Springsteen.  Many people consider Smith's version to be the original and Bruce's the cover, but each can claim credit. I actually prefer Springsteen's.  One sings it from a man's point of view, and the other a woman's.  Of course, Natalie Merchant's version is a cover.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:08:03 PM
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2012, 04:24:12 PM »

Speaking of Johnny Cash, let's mention also his cover of Nine Inch Nails of Hurt made before he passed away.

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2012, 06:01:41 PM »

When I was driving earlier today Styx came on the radio and this thread prompts me to recall that the current lineup (i.e., without Dennis DeYoung) did a cover of "I Am the Walrus." I've never heard their version, though. I'm sure I could find it on YouTube or iTunes, I'm just lazy.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2012, 01:05:43 PM »

Metallica cover:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC65ufGUvKM

Watch this at least halfway through, preferably all the way to the end.  It just keeps getting better.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bugo

• The Devil has arrived!

• No Frills Blog
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2012, 01:29:20 PM »

Metallica cover:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC65ufGUvKM

Watch this at least halfway through, preferably all the way to the end.  It just keeps getting better.

One of the worst songs ever written, and WAY overplayed.

vtk

• she/her or they/them

• Last Login: March 02, 2024, 12:35:28 PM
    • vid the kid . info
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2012, 04:11:45 PM »

I think most people tend to prefer the version of a sing that they heard first, though there are some exceptions.  For example, I first heard "It's My Life" by No Doubt when it came out circa '03, and only later found out that Talk Talk had done it in the 80's.  They're both good, but I like the Talk Talk version slightly better.

Johnny Cash has done a few songs which other bands have covered, which I enjoy.  "Ring Of Fire" (Wall of Voodoo), "Sad Songs and Waltzes" (Cake), "Hurt" (Nine Inch Nails)…  One could probably put together several Johnny Cash covers and get a rather varied and enjoyable playlist.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kphoger

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2012, 04:22:11 PM »

I think most people tend to prefer the version of a sing that they heard first, though there are some exceptions.  For example, I first heard "It's My Life" by No Doubt when it came out circa '03, and only later found out that Talk Talk had done it in the 80's.  They're both good, but I like the Talk Talk version slightly better.

Johnny Cash has done a few songs which other bands have covered, which I enjoy.  "Ring Of Fire" (Wall of Voodoo), "Sad Songs and Waltzes" (Cake), "Hurt" (Nine Inch Nails)…  One could probably put together several Johnny Cash covers and get a rather varied and enjoyable playlist.

I tend to dislike other versions of songs when I first hear them, but then I often warm up to them the more I listen.  Covers of Bob Dylan songs are often like this for me, especially when the cover artist imitates some of Dylan's quirks.  Another very notable example for me is Arlo Guthrie's City of New Orleans:  Other artists' covers used to make me grumble, but now I like them just as well as (some even better than) Guthrie's.

In general, though, I prefer versions that bear similarity to the one I know and love.  A hip hop version of the Beatles just won't cut it for me.  If any of you are classical music fans, though, you should check out Switched-on Bach.
Male pronouns, please.

If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vtk

• she/her or they/them

• Last Login: March 02, 2024, 12:35:28 PM
    • vid the kid . info
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2012, 04:31:27 PM »

Another very notable example for me is Arlo Guthrie's City of New Orleans:  Other artists' covers used to make me grumble, but now I like them just as well as (some even better than) Guthrie's.

I don't think the original author of that song is known.  I've acquired as many versions of that song as I can find, looking for the version that a local classic rock station played several years ago; Arlo Guthrie's might be it, but I'm not sure.  And I can't decide if I like Guthrie or Cash better on this song…
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kphoger

« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2012, 04:40:08 PM »

Another very notable example for me is Arlo Guthrie's City of New Orleans:  Other artists' covers used to make me grumble, but now I like them just as well as (some even better than) Guthrie's.

I don't think the original author of that song is known.  I've acquired as many versions of that song as I can find, looking for the version that a local classic rock station played several years ago; Arlo Guthrie's might be it, but I'm not sure.  And I can't decide if I like Guthrie or Cash better on this song…

vtk, you and I have some interesting similarities.  Maybe you should move to Kansas.  :)

I once saw Arlo Guthrie perform at Croce's bar in San Diego–sat about 15 feet from him a couple of tables away from Jim Croce's wife and some other big names.  Quite a surreal experience.  He had just been busted on drug charges, yet still performed Coming into Los Angeles, which might not have been the most appropriate thing to do...
Male pronouns, please.

6a

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 02:33:17 AM

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.