News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

cjk374

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 29, 2018, 11:06:59 PM
The thing I really don't understand is how Louisiana seems to have such abundant problems with peeling digits compared to all the other states. Is the climate of Louisiana really that terrible? Or do they just really suck that much at making shields?

Ever since DOTD changed to the black & white shields, the black vinyl digits are thinner & more flimsy than what was used for the white digits. It's not just on state shields either.

Peeling weight limit digits. by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

signalman

Quote from: cjk374 on March 30, 2018, 07:42:19 AM
The thing I really don't understand is how Louisiana seems to have such abundant problems with peeling digits compared to all the other states. Is the climate of Louisiana really that terrible? Or do they just really suck that much at making shields?

Ever since DOTD changed to the black & white shields, the black vinyl digits are thinner & more flimsy than what was used for the white digits. It's not just on state shields either.

Is that sign relatively new too?

cjk374

Quote from: signalman on March 30, 2018, 08:17:55 AM
Quote from: cjk374 on March 30, 2018, 07:42:19 AM

Is that sign relatively new too?

At the time of the photo, it was less than 1 year old.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

TBKS1

Pulaski/Perry county line, Arkansas.

Horse Trailers Turning by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr

I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

sandwalk

Roadsguy

I'm not sure if this sign assembly was put up by PennDOT or the DRJTBC, but whichever one seems to have forgotten the point of exit tabs.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Scott5114

Most other states print the digits on at the time the rest of the shield is printed. LA seems to be printing blank shields and then adding the numbers as vinyl stickers. (Note that the "LA" isn't peeling off, because it's printed.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

D-Dey65

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 30, 2018, 02:26:51 AM
I didn't know speed limits were a service! :-D :pan:
And I was starting to think "City Speed Limits" was just a New York thing.

Eth

Quote from: Roadsguy on March 31, 2018, 10:53:05 PM
I'm not sure if this sign assembly was put up by PennDOT or the DRJTBC, but whichever one seems to have forgotten the point of exit tabs.

I suppose you can actually defend that by saying it serves as additional confirmation that the exit is indeed on the right side. Maybe not entirely necessary, but not completely useless either.

thenetwork

Quote from: Eth on April 01, 2018, 07:47:49 AM
Quote from: Roadsguy on March 31, 2018, 10:53:05 PM

I suppose you can actually defend that by saying it serves as additional confirmation that the exit is indeed on the right side. Maybe not entirely necessary, but not completely useless either.

Par for the course in PA.   PennDot has had BGSs with unnumbered EXIT tabs for decades.  That photo is just the 21st Century version.

MNHighwayMan

I posted one of these pictures in the city name game, and because it's kind of interesting, I thought I'd post the full thing here. This is at the back of the intersection of Stearns CR-10 and 41, which is just a few hundred feet south of the south end of MN-238 (the interchange with I-94 in Albany). Just... the density of information is impressive.

Google StreetView link.

MCRoads

Found this in the suburbs Northeast of Denver. Never thought such a thing existed...

I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Eth

Quote from: MCRoads on April 04, 2018, 09:32:44 AM
Found this in the suburbs Northeast of Denver. Never thought such a thing existed...

I'm assuming you're talking about the double-suffixed street name? I've seen those all over the place in central Florida, for those instances where they absolutely insist on maintaining the grid-based naming convention even for roads that aren't remotely straight.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 04, 2018, 07:32:28 AM
I posted one of these pictures in the city name game, and because it's kind of interesting, I thought I'd post the full thing here. This is at the back of the intersection of Stearns CR-10 and 41, which is just a few hundred feet south of the south end of MN-238 (the interchange with I-94 in Albany). Just... the density of information is impressive.

https://i.imgur.com/Lz7ZJj1.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QcoXoZd.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8rhBHh4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SXNvB35.jpg

Google StreetView link.

Bloody unreal. What's with the "Sterns Co Hwy Dept" control city?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on April 04, 2018, 06:44:36 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 04, 2018, 07:32:28 AM

https://i.imgur.com/Lz7ZJj1.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QcoXoZd.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8rhBHh4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SXNvB35.jpg

Google StreetView link.
Bloody unreal. What's with the "Sterns Co Hwy Dept" control city?

Probably just the Highway Dept advertising itself on one of its own signs. I can't imagine it's terribly useful to know for the average motorist, though it might be useful for delivery trucks and the like.

Scott5114

That's stupidly well put together for a county road department, though.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MNHighwayMan

The cherry on top: about a quarter mile west of that intersection, CR-10 turns southward, away from paralleling I-94. For some reason, the shield and arrow are mounted on a green background.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 05, 2018, 02:12:36 AM

A lot of people who haven't been to Minnesota or spent limited time on our county roads express to me how amazed they are at their quality. There are many places where the county road is better quality than any nearby state highways; obviously some counties do it better than others.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 05, 2018, 03:14:44 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 05, 2018, 02:12:36 AM
A lot of people who haven't been to Minnesota or spent limited time on our county roads express to me how amazed they are at their quality. There are many places where the county road is better quality than any nearby state highways; obviously some counties do it better than others.

Personally, I love both Isanti and Anoka Counties (and it's not just because that's where I'm from ;-)), because both counties put directional banners on most, if not all, of their county roads, which is normally a rare quality even within Minnesota. It's a small thing, but to me, taking the time to sign them shows an above-average level of care.

TBKS1

I don't know if you guys find this as unique as I do, but every single word on this sign is 4 letters long.

(Taken on April 3rd, 2018)

Bald Knob Lake Road by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

Max Rockatansky

jakeroot

Quote from: TBKS1 on April 07, 2018, 12:09:45 AM
I don't know if you guys find this as unique as I do, but every single word on this sign is 4 letters long.

(Taken on April 3rd, 2018)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/814/27347439938_ea1b2eef38_k.jpg

"Bald knob" sounds like one of those place names that would get a Briton laughing.

Definitely an interesting ocurrence, though.

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 05, 2018, 03:27:51 AM
Personally, I love both Isanti and Anoka Counties (and it's not just because that's where I'm from ;-)), because both counties put directional banners on most, if not all, of their county roads, which is normally a rare quality even within Minnesota. It's a small thing, but to me, taking the time to sign them shows an above-average level of care.

What do you mean by "directional banners"? Do some county shields not have directional banners? Or another type of sign?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jakeroot on April 07, 2018, 12:33:42 AM
What do you mean by "directional banners"? Do some county shields not have directional banners? Or another type of sign?

It means what it sounds like.  ;-)

Minnesota's county route system is rather good, but not all counties put directions on their markers, like in the picture. I'd say there are more that don't than those that do, actually.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 07, 2018, 04:04:09 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 07, 2018, 12:33:42 AM

It means what it sounds like.  ;-)

Minnesota's county route system is rather good, but not all counties put directions on their markers, like in the picture. I'd say there are more that don't than those that do, actually.

Interesting. I've mentioned before about this being rare in my area, so I just wanted to make sure I understood correctly. I can't recall ever seeing a route marker without a directional banner on it, so it seems odd to give someone credit for using it...shouldn't they always be using it!? :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.