News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

STLmapboy

RI using a generic circle shield instead of its rectangle for SR 24.

And this isn't an isolated thing either.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

50 bucks says you've never seen a sign like this one. "Ignore GPS."
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

plain

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 11, 2020, 07:10:51 PM

These are becoming more and more common now. I actually posted one a year or so ago.
Newark born, Richmond bred

jakeroot

You choose your path forward when you meet this roundabout in Lacey, WA.

Technically on a trail, but I thought it was cool.

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

wanderer2575

SectorZ

I have one within 10 miles of me on the Concord/Carlisle MA border. Not the same verbiage, but giving the warning that GPS is not your friend here.

https://goo.gl/maps/7otvUzkcHKQHoLiz5

jeffandnicole

I'll take mine as 1 $20, 1 $10, 3 $5's and 5 $1's.

bwana39

Quote from: jakeroot on September 03, 2020, 12:25:49 AM
Does anyone know why, at the entrance to the Harano Tunnels along the H3 Freeway on Oahu, the overhead gantry has two-way traffic warning signs facing away from the travel direction?

See here on maps: "TWO-WAY TRAFFIC"

There are approximately three billion signs prior to this point indicating "WRONG WAY" or "GO BACK" or "DO NO ENTER", so I'm confused why after all of that, they'd grant you the satisfaction of a two-way traffic warning sign.

I have never been there, but I also noticed that the far right lane was isolated by a striped yellow line. THat would suggest that the traffic in said lane is traveling the opposite direction? Therefore two way traffic
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

kkt

I've seen homemade ones, but not a shop-made one.

jakeroot

Quote from: bwana39 on September 12, 2020, 12:00:12 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 03, 2020, 12:25:49 AM
Does anyone know why, at the entrance to the Harano Tunnels along the H3 Freeway on Oahu, the overhead gantry has two-way traffic warning signs facing away from the travel direction?

See here on maps: "TWO-WAY TRAFFIC"

There are approximately three billion signs prior to this point indicating "WRONG WAY" or "GO BACK" or "DO NO ENTER", so I'm confused why after all of that, they'd grant you the satisfaction of a two-way traffic warning sign.

I have never been there, but I also noticed that the far right lane was isolated by a striped yellow line. THat would suggest that the traffic in said lane is traveling the opposite direction? Therefore two way traffic

I think that's meant to be the shoulder, as that "lane" becomes about four feet wide when you enter the tunnel.

hbelkins

Not the same language, but lots of "GPS Routing Not Recommended" signage in Kentucky and Virginia.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CardInLex

Quote from: hbelkins on September 12, 2020, 04:19:17 PM

Not the same language, but lots of "GPS Routing Not Recommended" signage in Kentucky and Virginia.

In Anchorage, KY, "YOUR GPS IS WRONG"  in both English and Spanish. https://goo.gl/maps/kzyQyk6dvQ3pyPCP7

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

odditude

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: CardInLex on September 12, 2020, 08:45:57 PM

In Anchorage, KY, "YOUR GPS IS WRONG"  in both English and Spanish. https://goo.gl/maps/kzyQyk6dvQ3pyPCP7

Where is it? This comes up just facing the asphalt. I didn't see it stenciled on the ground?

STLmapboy

Quote from: odditude on September 14, 2020, 07:32:47 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on September 14, 2020, 06:50:25 PM
Puzzling English on this one-off sign in NE Texas.

...i have so many questions...

I'll put the text here if anyone can decipher it.
PROHIBITED
View-text electronic
Writing-Game
While driving
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Buffaboy

I never realized how unique these "stadium in use" signs around the Buffalo Southtowns are, because I see them so often. I think there's only 2, but I might be wrong?

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8011132,-78.7430081,3a,75y,245.83h,75.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTWHVib9MnxLKpc9mscgojg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.745237,-78.8628048,3a,20.8y,89.73h,95.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8bGtunQRCU0pzBo6PGekhw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Also, there are more examples of "when flashing" signs in the area, such as when the Skyway Bridge is close due to high winds or snow.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

ari-s-drives

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 14, 2020, 10:05:58 PM
(snipped)

PROHIBITED
View-text electronic
Writing-Game
While driving

I'm going to guess that the horizontal lines are supposed to be list item separators, so maybe it is banning looking at your phone, writing text messages, and playing games while driving? (Relevant city ordinance.)

odditude

Quote from: ari-s-drives on September 14, 2020, 10:37:23 PM
(snipped)

PROHIBITED
View-text electronic
Writing-Game
While driving

I'm going to guess that the horizontal lines are supposed to be list item separators, so maybe it is banning looking at your phone, writing text messages, and playing games while driving? (Relevant city ordinance.)

the intent is fairly obvious. my questions are more around "who wrote that? what were they on? who approved it? how confused was the guy at the sign shop when he saw the approved plans?" etc.

jakeroot

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on September 14, 2020, 09:50:29 PM
Quote from: CardInLex on September 12, 2020, 08:45:57 PM

Where is it? This comes up just facing the asphalt. I didn't see it stenciled on the ground?

You have to pull the camera up and then turn it around. Link here. Camera facing the ground is something a link originating from Google Maps on Android/iOS does. No idea why.

It also is written in Spanish, which I see mostly along the WA coast for tsunami warning signs.

Jet380

Quote from: odditude on September 15, 2020, 01:14:18 AM
Quote from: ari-s-drives on September 14, 2020, 10:37:23 PM
(snipped)

PROHIBITED
View-text electronic
Writing-Game
While driving

the intent is fairly obvious. my questions are more around "who wrote that? what were they on? who approved it? how confused was the guy at the sign shop when he saw the approved plans?" etc.

My guess is the original designer wanted a fancy 'branched' list, something like this:

But it got muddled up on the way to the signwriter. Perhaps the designer had to describe what they wanted over the phone while driving?

Verlanka

Quote from: jakeroot on September 15, 2020, 01:48:43 AM
It also is written in Spanish, which I see mostly along the WA coast for tsunami warning signs.
Spanish? I assume you mean French (since WA is right next to Canada).

hotdogPi

Quote from: Verlanka on September 15, 2020, 07:36:05 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 15, 2020, 01:48:43 AM
Spanish? I assume you mean French (since WA is right next to Canada).

British Columbia isn't French.
Clinched, plus NH 38, MA 286, and MA 193

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25

New: MA 193 clinched and a tiny bit of CT 193 traveled

My computer is currently under repair. This means I can't update Travel Mapping and have limited ability for the image threads.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.