Highways that BARELY enter or miss a county

Started by webny99, October 17, 2023, 10:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

How could I forget WI 57 barely enters Kewanee County on the way to Door County.

mgk920

Quote from: Big John on November 04, 2023, 05:24:47 PM
How could I forget WI 57 barely enters Kewanee County on the way to Door County.

It isn't just a 'tick' of the corner, it is longer than that.  There is a gas station on WI 57 there that has had problems with the regulators (especially in the 1980s and 1990s) because Kewanee County is/was considered  to be in a 'non-attainment area' for some pollutants and and thus subjected to the same more expensive seasonal reformulated fuel rules that apply further south along the Lake Michigan lake shore (ie, in the Milwaukee, Racine and Kenosha areas, as well as in Chicagoland), while if they were  literally next door in Brown or Door Counties, they wouldn't be subject to those rules.  I haven't heard anything about them since.

Mike

epzik8

Quote from: kphoger on November 03, 2023, 08:38:00 PM
Quote from: tmoore952 on November 03, 2023, 04:41:08 PM
Being local, and a bike rider with a need to know the local roads, I have similar (but more detailed) map at home that I would like to check (but I'm not there right now).

I'll have to report back later. However, the map that kphoger shows does present the narrow wedge of Montgomery County that narrows as it goes east, and looks a lot like I remember from my maps. I just don't remember if the top part of the MontCo triangle reaches that spring.

EDIT -- but several links (one in jmacswimmer's post) claim that it does, including an article from the Baltimore Sun.

For what it's worth...

Bing Maps accords with the USGS map I posted.

Montgomery County's online map shows a true quadripoint.

Howard County's online map does not show a quadripoint, but the boundaries differ from what's drawn on the USGS map.

Frederick County's online maps appear to accord with the USGS map I posted, although the zoom level isn't the greatest.

Carroll County's online maps show a true quadripoint, matching that of Montgomery County's.

Backing up Montgomery County's claim is that Lakeview Drive off MD 144 where it turns northward is considered to be within three counties (Frederick, Montgomery and Howard).
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

tmoore952

We can debate if this is "barely" but it was always of great interest to me, being a native Delawarean.

US 50 passes within a mile (as the crow flies) from the SW corner of Delaware (Sussex County). I passed through this area yesterday on a business trip, and got off US 50 to go to the Mason-Dixon monument there (at SW corner of Delaware). By road it it a little less than a mile as well.

This was the first time I had visited this location in about 34 years.

debragga

Some Texas examples, with a Google Maps link to the location with the county highlighted:

US-281 passes through Coryell County for only 2.2 miles, in and around Evant. South of this area is Lampasas County and north of it is Hamilton County - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Coryell+County,+TX/@31.4647837,-98.1694204,13.7z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x865aea79502a7747:0xd8f2d01ca81207cf!8m2!3d31.4774358!4d-97.87216!16zL20vMG1zNDk?hl=en&entry=ttu

FM-1389 barely passes through Dallas County for only 0.2 miles in Combine. The rest of the road is in Kaufman County. If you look at the satellite view, you'll see there are several houses that are near the county line but almost all of them are entirely on the Kaufman County side, while the Dallas County side is largely undeveloped. This is because the school district line follows the county line (which isn't as common as you may think given the ISD system in place), with the Kaufman County side being in Crandall ISD and the Dallas County side being in Dallas ISD and zoned to Seagoville schools. Crandall schools are much better (no bias from me even as a Crandall alum :-D), so that side is much more popular to build on. - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dallas+County,+TX/@32.6043968,-96.5246887,16z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x864ebf4a52bd4381:0x47b199369cddd987!8m2!3d32.8024682!4d-96.8350999!16zL20vMG1zMW4?entry=ttu

SGwithADD

A few more examples from NY (this happens quite a lot, at least in the Southern Tier):

tmoore952

I believe I mentioned both of these before, but in separate posts. I'm repeating them here, you'll see why.

US 50 passes within a mile of the southwest corner of Delaware (Sussex County) -- while always staying in Maryland.
US 250 passes within a mile of the southwest corner of Pennsylvania (Greene County) -- while always stauing in West Virginia.

I just belatedly noticed that the two mentioned roads are a parent/child pair, where both do a similar thing.
===========================

And US 220 used to just barely enter Tioga County NY (Waverly, at NY-17/I-86 interchange) -- but I haven't been through there in 20+ years, assume it is still the same. I'm sure this was mentioned earlier, but I can't spare the time to look right now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.