News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

End County Maintenance

Started by CapeCodder, September 06, 2018, 06:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeCodder

When I lived in the STL area, specifically in St. Charles County I always noticed little green signs stating END/BEGIN COUNTY MAINTENANCE, precisely at the entrances to the Park Charles South Subdivision. They were in other places as well, but I noticed them there.

Do other states have signs like this on the side of their roads?

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

formulanone

Florida has these in some places.

This one is redundant, since part of this route was once FL 329, but turned over entirely to the county around 2013 or so:

Usually, Begin/End State Maintenance is more common. But I've also seen begin/end City Maintenance in a few places.

ipeters61

The only example of that type of signage that comes to mind for me is the "End State Maintenance" sign at the end of MD-445 at Eastern Neck Wildlife Refuge.  Of course the Google car hasn't been there since 2008 so it's illegible on Street View.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Bitmapped

Allegheny County, PA is one of the few PA counties that maintains roads. It uses "Allegheny County Maintenance Begins/Ends Here" signs like this: https://goo.gl/maps/BMBh4CbcZES2

Garrett County, MD uses warning signs that say "End County Maint." or something like that. You can sort of see one at https://goo.gl/maps/XmKowQ8j7xv

wxfree

In some counties in Texas "Begin/end city/county maintenance" signs are used.  They essentially function as city limit signs, which generally aren't posted on non-state roads.  Either type of maintenance can begin or end.  I would guess that whichever authority posted the sign, whether the city or the county, would use the terminology that refers to itself, but I don't know that.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

TheOneKEA

Quote from: ipeters61 on September 06, 2018, 08:05:36 PM
The only example of that type of signage that comes to mind for me is the "End State Maintenance" sign at the end of MD-445 at Eastern Neck Wildlife Refuge.  Of course the Google car hasn't been there since 2008 so it's illegible on Street View.

Margland has a LOT of these signs around the state. They are most commonly seen along roll roads, to mark the boundaries between the MdTA and the SHA, and are labeled "BEGIN/END MDTA/SHA MAINTENANCE."  The less common sign that is seen are the "BEGIN/END STATE MAINTENANCE" ; one or both signs are frequently missing from a maintenance boundary. The rarest sign is the BEGIN/END COUNTY MAINTENANCE"  sign pairing; these seem to be most common around the Baltimore City reservoir watersheds and are used to mark the boundaries with the roads maintained by the Baltimore City DPW.

Max Rockatansky

The Old Ridge Route/Old US 99 in Los Angeles County:

IMG_2002 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

sparker

My first encounter with signs differentiating state vs. local maintenance came in the early '80's when visiting family friends in Bennington, VT.  On both US 7 and VT 9 there were signs at the town limits indicating that while the route was signed within the town for the purposes of continuity, maintenance of said route was the parvenu of the local jurisdiction, not the state of Vermont.  As a CA native -- where in-town maintenance of state highways was always done by Caltrans or its predecessors -- this was a "new one" for me.  Of course, recently Caltrans has been shedding in-town surface mileage like my husky sheds fur -- sort of an ass-backwards way to shift maintenance responsibilities! 

Mapmikey

Quote from: TheOneKEA on September 29, 2018, 10:26:32 PM

Margland has a LOT of these signs around the state. They are most commonly seen along roll roads, to mark the boundaries between the MdTA and the SHA, and are labeled "BEGIN/END MDTA/SHA MAINTENANCE."  The less common sign that is seen are the "BEGIN/END STATE MAINTENANCE" ; one or both signs are frequently missing from a maintenance boundary. The rarest sign is the BEGIN/END COUNTY MAINTENANCE"  sign pairing; these seem to be most common around the Baltimore City reservoir watersheds and are used to mark the boundaries with the roads maintained by the Baltimore City DPW.

BEGIN/END maintenance is common in Maryland where a primary route ends at a location that is not another primary route.

I have run into a few COUNTY maintenance begin or ends signs at these type of endpoints.  Having trouble remembering exactly where except for one...

This is EB transitioning onto MD 277 near Elkton.  The sign says Cecil County Maintenance ENDS - https://goo.gl/maps/JQPTAVh7rhJ2

ipeters61

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 30, 2018, 10:36:08 AM
Quote from: TheOneKEA on September 29, 2018, 10:26:32 PM

BEGIN/END maintenance is common in Maryland where a primary route ends at a location that is not another primary route.

I have run into a few COUNTY maintenance begin or ends signs at these type of endpoints.  Having trouble remembering exactly where except for one...

This is EB transitioning onto MD 277 near Elkton.  The sign says Cecil County Maintenance ENDS - https://goo.gl/maps/JQPTAVh7rhJ2
Yeah...I noticed that too when I took a trip to the Eastern Shore this weekend and got lost many times because Maryland seems to have an aversion to reassurance shields. :)
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

kphoger

They're pretty common around here.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

epzik8

On the topic of Maryland, "End County Maintenance"  signs are often at state borders.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.