News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Anyone wanna edit the Wikipedia road humor page?

Started by TheGrassGuy, February 19, 2020, 09:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGrassGuy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Road_humor
It's kinda been dead since 2016 (apart from a few edits last December). I figured that since we're all roadgeeks, and anybody can edit Wikipedia, why don't we all liven this page up, add a few jokes, etc? It seems to me that not many of us are aware of this page's existence, such a shame.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

X99

Something I've found humorous outside of this page on Wikipedia comes from the Intersection (road) article. The single external link leads to a Youtube video of Cities: Skylines.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

Roadsguy

I have half a mind to add an empty section just titled "Interstate 87 (North Carolina)." :bigass:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: X99 on February 24, 2020, 01:04:12 PM
Something I've found humorous outside of this page on Wikipedia comes from the Intersection article. The single external link leads to a Youtube video of Cities: Skylines.
Looks like Cities Skylines to me.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Highway63

I gave up on Wikipedia quite a while ago when I watched my edits get reverted. I don't think they HAVE a sense of humor.

X99

Quote from: Highway63 on March 06, 2020, 01:16:22 AM
I gave up on Wikipedia quite a while ago when I watched my edits get reverted. I don't think they HAVE a sense of humor.
I indirectly caused the deletion of the "List of unused highways", "List of unused highways in the United States", and "List of abandoned highways in the United States" pages by adding exactly one entry to the second one and creating the third when half of the second list was removed for having no external sources other than map locations. I saved the Lists of unused highways and unused highways in the US pages, but as of now I have nowhere to put them.

Proof: an entry from one of those former pages:
Tennessee
Knoxville
At the southern end of Tennessee State Route 71 (SR-71; James White Parkway). The parkway was planned to extend to connect to U.S. Route 441 (US-441; Chapman Highway) somewhere in the vicinity of Gov. John Sevier Highway. In late August 2013, the project was officially cancelled. The parkway now terminates at Sevierville Pike. All traffic enters or leaves the parkway north of Sevierville Pike, but the bridge over the parkway has been completed, and the mainline extends under the bridge, terminating abruptly.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

TheHighwayMan3561

Same. It's more like a clique of people who want pages to look the way they want them. Once I had edits reverted within 5 minutes, like these people have nothing better to do than monitor these pages for edits.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

D-Dey65

There are a lot of dead links in that one.

MCRoads

Quote from: X99 on March 10, 2020, 12:02:07 AM
I indirectly caused the deletion of the "List of unused highways", "List of unused highways in the United States", and "List of abandoned highways in the United States" pages by adding exactly one entry to the second one and creating the third when half of the second list was removed for having no external sources other than map locations. I saved the Lists of unused highways and unused highways in the US pages, but as of now I have nowhere to put them.

Proof: an entry from one of those former pages:
Tennessee
Knoxville
At the southern end of Tennessee State Route 71 (SR-71; James White Parkway). The parkway was planned to extend to connect to U.S. Route 441 (US-441; Chapman Highway) somewhere in the vicinity of Gov. John Sevier Highway. In late August 2013, the project was officially cancelled. The parkway now terminates at Sevierville Pike. All traffic enters or leaves the parkway north of Sevierville Pike, but the bridge over the parkway has been completed, and the mainline extends under the bridge, terminating abruptly.
That was YOU! I was looking for that page recently, but it had been deleted. Guess stuff happens.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

kphoger

I'm so disappointed that someone finally reversed this nugget of humor I stumbled upon years ago.

The page remained more or less the same for nearly six years.  Then some guy with no sense of humor un-funny-fied it with the comment "reverting old vandalism".  BOO!!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CNGL-Leudimin

That "some guy with no sense of humor" is actually Bruce from this very same forum. I have to intonate a mea culpa since I pointed the correct stats after you posted that on the "This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom" thread, and then Bruce corrected that.

I miss two non-road bits from Wikipedia someone deleted. One was from The Oregon Trail (video game) (now at The Oregon Trail (1971 video game)):
QuoteThe party could die from various causes, such as measles, snakebite, exhaustion, typhoid, cholera, and, perhaps most famously, dysentery.

And the other from Names of Beijing:
QuoteIn the 10th and 12th centuries, the northerly Liao Dynasty restored the name Yanjing. They also (ironically) knew the city as Nanjing as it was the southernmost of their secondary capitals.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

D-Dey65

You know, even though I think they could use some new material, I'm not very happy with Wikipedia either. They merge city halls, village halls and borough halls into town halls, with moronic claims about them being a redundant category, and removed the distinctions of railroad stations, except by using lower case letters.

rschen7754

I'm surprised that the page hasn't been deleted yet. It ultimately has very little to do with Wikipedia itself. I suspect that if it was created today, it would be deleted.

Takumi

That "some guy with no sense of humor" is actually Bruce from this very same forum.
Well, that explains the no sense of humor.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Bruce

Quote from: Takumi on July 23, 2020, 01:21:03 AM
That "some guy with no sense of humor" is actually Bruce from this very same forum.
Well, that explains the no sense of humor.

The internet is serious business

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.