News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Scariest bridge you've ever driven across

Started by bugo, June 15, 2010, 04:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave1013

As a child - Delaware Memorial Bridge (when it was still a single span).  Just something about it looked spooky.

As an adult - Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Sunshine Skyway Bridge (the new one).  Re the latter, when I drove over and got to the top of the span, marine haze prevented me from seeing the other end of the crossing and that *really* freaked me out.
Traffic and Safety Engineer - Alaska DOT&PF - Southcoast Region - Juneau, Alaska

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of Alaska DOT&PF or the State of Alaska

CNGL-Leudimin

The collapsed bridge in Genoa, Italy. Of course, before it went down. I crossed it in 2010 by coach.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

webny99

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 20, 2018, 07:14:44 AM
The collapsed bridge in Genoa, Italy. Of course, before it went down. I crossed it in 2010 by coach.

It's probably only scary in hindsight; as opposed to you being scared during your actual crossing.

mrsman

Quote from: webny99 on August 20, 2018, 10:09:58 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 20, 2018, 07:14:44 AM

It's probably only scary in hindsight; as opposed to you being scared during your actual crossing.

True.  Have they determined yet whether the cause of failure was due to design or due to maintenance issues?  If due to design, then your crossing in 2010 was not safe and you are lucky to have survived.  If due to maintenance, then it may have been perfectly fine in 2010 and failure of maintenance has led to the collapse.

D-Dey65

Quote from: dave1013 on August 16, 2018, 06:12:16 PM
As a child - Delaware Memorial Bridge (when it was still a single span).  Just something about it looked spooky.

As an adult - Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Sunshine Skyway Bridge (the new one).  Re the latter, when I drove over and got to the top of the span, marine haze prevented me from seeing the other end of the crossing and that *really* freaked me out.
I must be some kind of freak, because none of those bridges scare me at all.

danthecatrafficlightfan

on the road again just can't wait to get on the road again because Life is a Highway and i want to ride it all night long. if you're going my way i want to drive it all night long.

D-Dey65

In September 2015 I took a couple of pictures of a bridge over the LIRR Montauk Branch:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:NB_River_Avenue,_Eastport,_NY;_Narrow_Bridge.JPG

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:NB_River_Avenue,_Eastport,_NY;_Wooden_Bridge.JPG

That's River Avenue.

Over three years later, I took these pictures of the Centre Street Bridge over the Metro-North New Haven Line and Northeast Corridor in New Rochelle, New York.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Centre_Avenue_Bridges;_New_Rochelle,_NY-1.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Centre_Avenue_Bridges;_New_Rochelle,_NY-4.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Centre_Avenue_Bridges;_New_Rochelle,_NY-5.jpg

Both bridges have weight limits of three tons, but despite the fact that the Eastport bridge is made of wood, I'm actually more afraid of crossing the bridge in New Rochelle. That one has more traffic and a greater risk of being worn down.

mrose

Quote from: mrose on April 22, 2013, 05:04:11 AM
4. Highway 47 over the Missouri River in eastern Missouri. Super old and narrow cantilever which I think has been rated structurally deficient for some time now.

Went back and found my old post.

This one is now gone-ski.

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

paulthemapguy

Possibly one of the various wooden covered bridges of Parke County, Indiana, driving my mom's red dodge caravan as a 17-year-old.  This isn't one of the jankiest ones, but it's one of the few I can view in GSV: https://goo.gl/maps/ST6aAB6wyaQWeCMr9
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

bwana39

Quote from: golden eagle on June 15, 2010, 07:47:00 PM
The Huey Long Bridge in New Orleans, because it feels like it sways. It's currently under reconstruction so I hope it will be better.

No really scary, but the U.S. 80 bridge between Vicksburg and the Louisiana border is very narrow.

The Huey P Long Bridge was indeed scary before they widened it. I have been across it before during and after the construction.

The US 80 bridge at Vicksburg was another narrow one. I never crossed it with two way traffic. I did however cross it with westbound I-20 traffic detoured across it. I did get passed by an 18-wheeler. I was going 50 + MPH and I was 16.  Traffic was barely slowed down crossing Washington Street and were at Highway speed all the way to the turn near I-20 at Delta LA. 1976 or 1977.

But me the worst one was US-59 at Index (the Red River north of Texarkana). I never drove across it, but it was narrow. I once saw two trucks clip each others' mirrors.  Dad was a nervous wreck.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Brandon on August 01, 2011, 09:41:27 PM
Quote from: Mdcastle on July 23, 2011, 06:03:53 PM
The Fort Madison toll bridge. I had the misfortune to be stuck on an approach when the middle was open for ships.

This one?

I thought it was a blast to drive.
I was going to start a thread on the driving experience on this bridge, but the fact that it's on this list is enough for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Madison_Toll_Bridge

Somehow, I don't think there would be enough about it to scare me.

Flint1979

I hate those narrow Mississippi River bridges that lack a shoulder.

Flint1979

From what I said in my previous post I still hate those long narrow bridges with no shoulders. Well I crossed the Ohio River on US-45 last night and just went the 25 mph speed limit, as I was about halfway across I thought this isn't too bad but I don't like this bridge. It's obviously a single lane in each direction and the deck is steel grated.

I crossed from Kentucky into Illinois on I-24 but coming back I had Paducah as my destination so I used the US-45 Brookport Bridge.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on December 02, 2020, 09:54:38 AM
https://nypost-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/nypost.com/2020/11/30/mta-shuts-down-verrazzano-bridge-amid-wild-winds-and-rain/amp/?amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D

This bridge I have driven across but not like this. So it counts as scary.

That video makes me think of the incident in the 1970s when the huge US flag was hung from the cables and the wind then ripped it apart.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 01, 2020, 08:03:43 AM
From what I said in my previous post I still hate those long narrow bridges with no shoulders. Well I crossed the Ohio River on US-45 last night and just went the 25 mph speed limit, as I was about halfway across I thought this isn't too bad but I don't like this bridge. It's obviously a single lane in each direction and the deck is steel grated.

I crossed from Kentucky into Illinois on I-24 but coming back I had Paducah as my destination so I used the US-45 Brookport Bridge.

At night?  Crap!  Yeah, I wouldn't want to drive that bridge after dark.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on December 02, 2020, 11:05:17 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on December 01, 2020, 08:03:43 AM

At night?  Crap!  Yeah, I wouldn't want to drive that bridge after dark.
It was later in the afternoon starting to get dark out. It kind of feels creepy crossing it. I didn't mind the steel deck but the lack of shoulders was annoying.

davewiecking

Rothman

Verrazzano...and I'd rather have it flex than not.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kkt

roadman65

Quote from: Rothman on December 02, 2020, 11:52:44 PM
Verrazzano...and I'd rather have it flex than not.

I believe it was designed to flex under wind stress to avoid collapse, especially Hurricanes..

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

I think I'd avoid the Verrazzano just because of the price of the toll. It's like $20 to cross it but only in the Staten Island bound direction so going towards Brooklyn you don't have to pay but coming back you get nailed with a $20 toll.

roadman65

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 03, 2020, 09:44:16 AM
I think I'd avoid the Verrazzano just because of the price of the toll. It's like $20 to cross it but only in the Staten Island bound direction so going towards Brooklyn you don't have to pay but coming back you get nailed with a $20 toll.

It is back to two way tolling courtesy of semis shunpiking for good reason.  They were using streets of Lower Manhattan to get to NJ creating problems. So they reinstated two way tolling again.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

Quote from: roadman65 on December 03, 2020, 10:01:31 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on December 03, 2020, 09:44:16 AM

It is back to two way tolling courtesy of semis shunpiking for good reason.  They were using streets of Lower Manhattan to get to NJ creating problems. So they reinstated two way tolling again.
That's good. Hopefully they off set the price of the toll and don't charge $20 in each direction, should be $10 which I still think is too high. Seriously if you live in Staten Island or Brooklyn you should be able to cross the bridge for a lower rate.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.