News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Caltrans employment

Started by Inyomono395, April 13, 2021, 11:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inyomono395

I had an interview with caltrans yesterday and I think it went pretty good. I applied for an equipment operator. I'm really excited, I will be able to put my love for highways to good use!

Anyone here work for caltrans?

ClassicHasClass

Sometimes I try to work around Caltrans ...  :pan:

Max Rockatansky

I know there is a couple on this board, Jrouse comes to mind.  Overwhelmingly the majority of us on this board and in the road hobby in general are just enthusiasts though. 

Concrete Bob

The State of California is a good place for a solid, secure career.  Although I didn't work for Caltrans, I recently retired after 33 years of service with the state.  You can't beat their benefits and retirement plan.  I didn't always personally agree with the laws and policies I had to administer, but one has to separate their biases from their work duties.  I had some great bosses, and some psychos as well (that would be true in any industry, though). 

I hope you get the job.  It always takes a few weeks for the state to make a formal offer to an applicant for any position, because there are several layers of administration and procedures to follow prior to the job offer.   

jrouse

As others have indicated, I do work for Caltrans in our Traffic Ops division.  I've been with the department for 22 years.  It is a good place to work.  As a road geek it was my dream to work here and I have had a chance to work on some of the things I always wanted to try and do. 

You will have good bosses and bad bosses.  I can probably count on one hand the number of bad bosses that I have had.  If you put your head down and do your job and do it well, you should be fine.  Unfortunately the bad bosses can really make your life miserable, particularly the higher up you go in the organization.  I speak from experience.

As for Maintenance positions, I don't work with that division all that much but I do know that they place a heavy emphasis on following the Maintenance manual and, of course, worker safety.   Be sure to be familiar with those things and you should do well.   What district did you interview with?

Inyomono395

Quote from: jrouse on April 19, 2021, 11:59:44 AM
As others have indicated, I do work for Caltrans in our Traffic Ops division.  I've been with the department for 22 years.  It is a good place to work.  As a road geek it was my dream to work here and I have had a chance to work on some of the things I always wanted to try and do. 

You will have good bosses and bad bosses.  I can probably count on one hand the number of bad bosses that I have had.  If you put your head down and do your job and do it well, you should be fine.  Unfortunately the bad bosses can really make your life miserable, particularly the higher up you go in the organization.  I speak from experience.

As for Maintenance positions, I don't work with that division all that much but I do know that they place a heavy emphasis on following the Maintenance manual and, of course, worker safety.   Be sure to be familiar with those things and you should do well.   What district did you interview with?

Thank you for your response! I applied for two positions within district 9 Inyo/Mono counties

jrouse

Quote from: Inyomono395 on April 19, 2021, 12:40:11 PM
Quote from: jrouse on April 19, 2021, 11:59:44 AM
What district did you interview with?

Thank you for your response! I applied for two positions within district 9 Inyo/Mono counties

I thought as much given your username.  I do not know the people who lead the Maintenance field operations but I do know the deputy district director for Maintenance and the district director and the previous two district directors (one of whom became my boss after he left D9).  They are good people.  And of course the eastern Sierra is a gorgeous area, although Mono and Inyo Counties are two of the 6 counties in California that I have not been in.  They're on my bucket list.

Inyomono395

I didn't get the original job I applied for but I reapplied and received a conditional job offer yesterday. I am nervous but excited. I will be an equipment operator for the striper stencil and sign crew

jrouse

Quote from: Inyomono395 on June 04, 2021, 02:14:21 AM
I didn't get the original job I applied for but I reapplied and received a conditional job offer yesterday. I am nervous but excited. I will be an equipment operator for the striper stencil and sign crew
Congratulations and welcome to the Caltrans family.  Be safe!

Inyomono395

Quote from: jrouse on June 04, 2021, 02:15:11 AM
Quote from: Inyomono395 on June 04, 2021, 02:14:21 AM
Congratulations and welcome to the Caltrans family.  Be safe!
Thank you! I'm excited for this new chapter in my life.

stevashe

Congratulations! I hope your new job goes well.

Inyomono395

Quote from: stevashe on June 05, 2021, 04:12:07 PM
Congratulations! I hope your new job goes well.
Thank you!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.