News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Atlantic City Expressway Widening

Started by J Route Z, May 11, 2014, 03:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Route Z

What is the status of this project? The SJTA page doesn't seem to have updated details.

jeffandnicole

They are working on the final phase* of the WB widening. Some of it is open now. The reminder, closest to Rt 73, may be open by Memorial Day.

* supposedly they are adding cameras and VMS signage also, but I haven't seen any evidence of this yet.

bzakharin

There has been some confusion regarding when/whether exit 31 is closed. There was a VMS that originally said starting May 5, then a time was added (10 PM to 7 AM). Then it was changed to "on or about 5/5-5/6" and the time was gone again. As of May 7 the sign is gone. I've never seen the exit closed (I use the ACE weekdays and pass the exit around 8:30 AM and 6:30 PM) including the one time I needed to take it last week (I was nervous it might be closed, but decided to chance it). So, was it ever closed? Will it be?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on May 12, 2014, 10:02:27 AM
There has been some confusion regarding when/whether exit 31 is closed. There was a VMS that originally said starting May 5, then a time was added (10 PM to 7 AM). Then it was changed to "on or about 5/5-5/6" and the time was gone again. As of May 7 the sign is gone. I've never seen the exit closed (I use the ACE weekdays and pass the exit around 8:30 AM and 6:30 PM) including the one time I needed to take it last week (I was nervous it might be closed, but decided to chance it). So, was it ever closed? Will it be?

Even though we are always publically told to keep an eye on the signs, sometimes they are extremely general in nature or inaccurate.  It could have been they just needed the interchange closed for one or two nights to do some work on or in front of the ramp area. 

bzakharin

Looks like the widening work is complete. All three lanes were open all the way to west of Exit 31 when I drove it last night. We'll see what this does with congestion during the summer driving season. So far Eastbound traffic has been bad enough even with the three lanes that taking 55/47 to Wildwood has been faster than taking ACE/GSP.

On a semi-related note, while looking for an official status update on the ACE website (there isn't one), I noticed that travel advisories mention Northbound and Southbound about 50% of the time with Eastbound and Westbound for the rest. Has this always been the case or is it a mistake or are they gearing up for a direction redesignation?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on May 20, 2014, 10:31:57 AM
Looks like the widening work is complete. All three lanes were open all the way to south of Exit 31 when I drove it last night. We'll see what this does with congestion during the summer driving season. So far Eastbound traffic has been bad enough even with the three lanes that taking 55/47 to Wildwood has been faster than taking ACE/GSP.

Per Google Maps, the two routes take about the same amount of time, even though the ACX/GSP route is 8 miles longer.  It probably depends on when you travel down the road...usually when I'm on it, I don't have a problem.

Hopefully the 3 lanes WB allows better travel, although for those with PA plates, it just gives them more time to block the left lane while doing 60 mph. :-\

QuoteOn a semi-related note, while looking for an official status update on the ACE website (there isn't one), I noticed that travel advisories mention Northbound and Southbound about 50% of the time with Eastbound and Westbound for the rest. Has this always been the case or is it a mistake or are they gearing up for a direction redesignation?

I would edge towards mistakes, or just based on the person's perception who provided the press release. (The route is almost North-South as it is East-West)

NJRoadfan

On new signs, the ACE seems to finally have cardinal directions. They seem to be using East/West.
http://goo.gl/maps/8mQEy

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.