News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate history

Started by NE2, January 20, 2015, 07:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

I've compiled from several sources when most Interstates were created or numbered: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:NE2/Interstate_history
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

OCGuy81

That's really nicely done.  Thanks, NE2.

kurumi

That's a really good resource, thanks!
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Bickendan

Interesting to note that Hawaii's interstates weren't part of the original plan, but since they got approved in 1960, they're about as good as part of the original plan.

froggie

I-335 MN was approved by BPR in 1964.  I have documentation that it was officially requested from the state highway department in April, 1963.

ARMOURERERIC

I would like to learn what was the first interstate contract awarded in each state.

froggie

For Minnesota, I can narrow it down to one of three possibilities:

- I-35W through Richfield and Minneapolis (active planning for this predated the 1956 Highway Act)
- I-494 along the Bloomington Strip
- I-35 near Medford

ARMOURERERIC

FWIW, I was always told that in California it was actually I-8 between the 2 El Cajon Blvd exits, essentially rebuilding El Cajon Blvd into an interstate grade facility with the left exit CA 94 connector from the end of Alvarado Pkwy to ElCajon city.(I did once see a pic of this exits opening with a CA 67 to CA 94 on the BGS)

US81

CNGL-Leudimin

Nice list! One thing: Shouldn't I-238 be between I-37 and I-39? It is listed as if it were an I-x80...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

NE2

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 21, 2015, 06:14:11 AM
Nice list! One thing: Shouldn't I-238 be between I-37 and I-39? It is listed as if it were an I-x80...
It is an x80 in all but name.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: NE2 on January 21, 2015, 06:25:25 AM

The south leg of I-540 in Arkansas (AR 22 to the OK Line) appears to have possibly built first, but as AR 540. I have conflicting info on this. Bugo and I constantly fuss over this ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

robbones

Quote from: US71 on January 21, 2015, 10:46:43 AM
Quote from: NE2 on January 21, 2015, 06:25:25 AM

The south leg of I-540 in Arkansas (AR 22 to the OK Line) appears to have possibly built first, but as AR 540. I have conflicting info on this. Bugo and I constantly fuss over this ;)

http://apps.historicaerials.com/viewer#

NE2 posted this link and I 540 didn't get completed until the 1980s. According to the 1978 aeriel, AR 540 ended at US 71 while north of AR 22 (Rogers Ave) was already designated at I 540

NE2

I analyzed the 1957 additions, and they couldn't have all been added at that time (there's not enough mileage): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:NE2/Interstate_history
That must be what http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/yellowbook/additional-mileage.htm means by "the earmarking of mileage to provide circumferential or belt routes". They had decided that those cities shall receive beltways (which all did except Scranton) but didn't have the mileage to add them all yet.

Jardine

Probably pretty hard to verify, but I wonder if the NB Interstate 29 bridge over the Big Sioux River was the first structural collapse of the entire Interstate system ?

robbones

Quote from: Jardine on January 22, 2015, 11:45:42 AM
Probably pretty hard to verify, but I wonder if the NB Interstate 29 bridge over the Big Sioux River was the first structural collapse of the entire Interstate system ?

I 35 in Minnesota happened in 2007 and I 40 near Webber Falls, OK happened in 2002.

CNGL-Leudimin

Correction: The 2007 bridge collapse was on I-35W, not just plain I-35.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: robbones on January 22, 2015, 03:35:41 PM

Quote from: Jardine on January 22, 2015, 11:45:42 AM

I 35 in Minnesota happened in 2007 and I 40 near Webber Falls, OK happened in 2002.

And a quick Google search says this I-29 bridge collapsed in 1962, so...

Jardine

skluth

Topic bump rather than start a new thread on this topic. I've seen interstate history on a few threads here, but this thread makes the most sense.

My phone news had an interesting, well-written article on the history of Minnesota interstates from a site called streets.mn. The article covers the early history for the entire system, so I decided to include it here rather than place it in the Great Lakes or Central States. I originally saw part two, but I think the entire article is worth reading so I've included links to both parts.

A History of Minnesota's Interstates, Part One
A History of Minnesota's Interstates, Part Two

TheHighwayMan3561

The author of the MN interstate series is an occasional user here, Mdcastle. He recently did a series on (mostly) former US 61 from the Twin Cities to Duluth.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.