News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Groups of people standing around talking in the parking lot with no awareness of what's going on around them.

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Oh, we're bitching about YouTube? I like to watch Let's Play videos, where people record themselves playing a video game and offer vocal commentary, as I'm trying to fall asleep. These have a tendency to be broken apart as part of a series, and are usually titled something like "Let's Play Lemmings: 1 - [subtitle about this episode]" followed by "Let's Play Lemmings: 2 - [subtitle]" and so on. It used to be that the "Related Videos" list to the side would cotton on to this and offer the next video in the series for you. Then they broke it. Now it will do stupid things like recommend a video in the middle of a completely different series by the same channel, or follow episode 2 with a recommendation for episode 37, or other such lunacy.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Only problem I have with YouTube would be the above problem, where the related videos are sometimes not always the next in a sequence. Doesn't happen a ton, but certainly does from time to time.

I have YouTube Premium thanks to my YouTube Music subscription, so I don't have ads on YouTube. My phone is water resistant and I do use it in the shower as well. But when I need to do something, I just say "Hey Google" and then whatever (next track, shuffle, replay, etc).

Technology can be expensive, but it can certainly spare you from those irritating things that bother so many people, like ads. Or when you lock your phone and YouTube stops playing (doesn't happen on my end thanks to the YouTube Premium thing).

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on October 08, 2020, 01:22:14 AM
Technology can be expensive, but it can certainly spare you from those irritating things that bother so many people, like ads. Or when you lock your phone and YouTube stops playing (doesn't happen on my end thanks to the YouTube Premium thing).

Clearly, the technology to keep playing when the phone is locked is not actually expensive, innovative, or difficult, Alphabet just wants to extort money for it.

Personally, I think it's gauche as hell for a company to create a problem (not create a problem in the customer's mind, but cause the problem) and then try to talk you into forking over money to fix it. It's like stuffing poison ivy down someone's shirt and then offering to sell them a bottle of calamine lotion.

1995hoo

In the spirit of the thread's subject:

Server problems. :bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 08, 2020, 01:29:35 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 08, 2020, 01:22:14 AM

Clearly, the technology to keep playing when the phone is locked is not actually expensive, innovative, or difficult, Alphabet just wants to extort money for it.

Personally, I think it's gauche as hell for a company to create a problem (not create a problem in the customer's mind, but cause the problem) and then try to talk you into forking over money to fix it. It's like stuffing poison ivy down someone's shirt and then offering to sell them a bottle of calamine lotion.

The internet's biggest issue: everyone thinks everything should be free, at no inconvenience to the end user.

Since the history of mankind, no company has been able to make money on such a platform.

kphoger

Quote from: tchafe1978 on October 07, 2020, 09:34:27 PM
Even more annoying than having to click "not now", is of you're using the mobile app, every so often the video will pause and will ask "are you still watching?" and you'll have to click yes to continue. This is most annoying as I like to listen to music on Youtube while in the shower, and the music all of a sudden stops. So I have to step out of the shower dripping wet to tap on my phone. Ads that are longer than 15 seconds are annoying while in the shower too. Some ads can be 1-2 minutes or even longer.

On my phone, it doesn't even ask "Are you still watching?"  It just stops playing, and I then have to click the < to resume play.  I don't listen to it in the shower, but I do while shaving, so I have similarly wet hands.

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 08, 2020, 12:23:12 AM
I like to watch Let's Play videos, where people record themselves playing a video game and offer vocal commentary,

Our boys used to watch those.  Then we realized one day that the players don't always...mmmm...talk about wholesome topics or use appropriate language during the game.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 08, 2020, 09:53:24 AM
The internet's biggest issue: everyone thinks everything should be free, at no inconvenience to the end user.

Yep, and I think about that every single time I get annoyed.  I think to myself, Well, I'm using their service for free.

On the other hand, the annoyances aren't directly related to the free-ness of the product.  Even though I hate ads, I fully accept that YouTube must get ad revenue in order for me to watch videos for free.  And I fully accept that premium options should be paid for by willing users.  But interrupting the normal use of the product in order to request me to log in or to request me to sign up for said premium service is, in my opinion, unnecessary and purposely disruptive.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 08, 2020, 09:53:24 AM

Since the history of mankind, no company has been able to make money on such a platform.

Cool. I don't care whether they make money or not, just whether it works or not. After all, Google doesn't care about whether my website makes any money or not, why should I return the favor?

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

formulanone

Quote from: formulanone on December 11, 2019, 08:20:07 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on December 11, 2019, 08:16:58 AM
Bathroom doors that open in.  I don't wash my hands to touch a dirty door handle being that half the guys don't wash their hands.

Combine this with the air dryers, and we have a Major Thing, in terms of germ and disease control.

Ouch.

zachary_amaryllis

annoy me? the tv.

i live in the mountain time zone and for some channels i have to perform differential calculus to figure out what time something 'really' comes on.

related: most networks, just completely omit mst/mdt from their schedules: 'tonight 8/7c'. thats no help at all.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Big John

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 20, 2020, 11:39:45 PMrelated: most networks, just completely omit mst/mdt from their schedules: 'tonight 8/7c'. thats no help at all.
Sports is worse (Looking at you ESPN).  On the crawl, they put the exact time to the minute if it is shown on another network, but they show when the pregame show starts if it is on their network.

US 89

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 20, 2020, 11:39:45 PM
annoy me? the tv.

i live in the mountain time zone and for some channels i have to perform differential calculus to figure out what time something 'really' comes on.

related: most networks, just completely omit mst/mdt from their schedules: 'tonight 8/7c'. thats no help at all.

I've never had an issue with it. 8/7c just means it's at 7 PM mountain, but make sure to avoid any spoilers as everyone in Eastern and Central will see it an hour before you do. Sports and other similar events come in the format "8 PM ET"  - in which case you just subtract 2 hours.

It would be far worse to live in the Pacific time zone as far as TV is concerned, in my opinion.

Scott5114

I had assumed that 8/7 central means 8 in all time zones except Central, when it's at 7. Hearing the phrase "the 11 o'clock news", which seems to be the standard time for the nightly news everywhere else in the country, is always bizarre. Here, it's the 10 o'clock news.

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 21, 2020, 02:01:59 AM
I had assumed that 8/7 central means 8 in all time zones except Central, when it's at 7. Hearing the phrase "the 11 o'clock news", which seems to be the standard time for the nightly news everywhere else in the country, is always bizarre. Here, it's the 10 o'clock news.

Whereas here, the 10:00 news is a particular program on Channel 5. I remember when they first started airing it and their commercials had an annoying jingle, "Watch the 10 o'clock news–for an extra hour's snooze." Problem is, at least in its current iteration, it's just not as good a newscast as the 11:00 news on Channel 4 for several reasons (though I do often watch parts of it, such as the weather forecast, because I tend to fall asleep early in the 11:00 news).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 21, 2020, 02:01:59 AM

I usually take it to be 8 eastern, 7 central, 6 mountain, 8 pacific. Depending on the station, sometimes they show it as 8e/7c, 8 eastern & pacific, 7 central, etc.  Mountain Time almost always gets the short end of the stick, both because of brevity and population.  That time zone has less than 7% of the US population, so while those in Denver and Phoenix may disagree, it's not a major portion of the show's viewership.  Even though it would only takes a half-second to say the mountain time, it's a half-second to advertise the show or whatever so they skip it.

US 89

As someone who has lived in the Mountain time zone the vast majority of my life, this is what "8/7 Central" means:

8 PM Eastern
7 PM Central
7 PM Mountain (this means it is delayed one hour from the Eastern/Central viewing time)
8 PM Pacific (likewise, delayed three hours from Eastern/Central)

This is because of how the primetime TV schedule works: in Eastern and Pacific time, primetime TV programs begin at 8, but they start  at 7 in Mountain and Central. This is also why the late-evening news is at 11 PM on the coasts, but 10 PM in Central and Mountain time.

Sports events are not subject to this weirdness because the entire country sees them at the same time - so general convention for those is just to give the time in Eastern and let everyone else calculate from there.

It is rather annoying that the millions of people living in Denver, Phoenix, Salt Lake, Albuquerque, Boise, and other smaller cities don't really exist to New Yorkers - but we're way better at doing time zone math in our heads because of it.

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on October 21, 2020, 09:30:15 AM
It is rather annoying that the millions of people living in Denver, Phoenix, Salt Lake, Albuquerque, Boise, and other smaller cities don't really exist to New Yorkers - but we're way better at doing time zone math in our heads because of it.

Eh, don't feel too bad. There's about 6 million people in their own state that don't exist to them either.

1995hoo

I recall when I was a kid, TV promos for upcoming shows often specified a time as, for example, "8:00 Eastern, 7 Central and Mountain." Used to hear that frequently when the CBS football announcers (CBS had the NFC package back then, so it's the network I normally watched on Sunday) would mention upcoming programs.

Those of you who are bothered by this sort of thing could move to Newfoundland, which is 90 minutes ahead of Eastern Time. Thus, if a show airs at 9:00 PM Eastern and will air simultaneously in Newfoundland, it airs at 10:30 PM there.

kphoger

As Ned Flanders once said...

Quote from: The Simpsons, Season 14, Episode 13:  A Star Is Born Again
Ha, ha, yup.  We occupy that useless mass of land... between Los Angeles and New York called America.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CoreySamson

Something bothered me recently about Facebook.

During Hurricane Delta a couple of weeks ago, I was tracking it every day, so I followed some local meteorologists to see their updates on the storm. The annoying thing is with these kinds of updates they need to be in order for them to really make sense because they get outdated in a period of just a few hours. Well, guess what? Facebook elected to show me hurricane updates from 4 days ago instead of showing the latest update. So instead of telling me right away if the storm will hit me, instead it was talking about how the Yucatan would get clobbered (even though that happened days ago)

Also, TikTok and Snapchat.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

tchafe1978

Quote from: CoreySamson on October 21, 2020, 11:52:41 AM

During Hurricane Delta a couple of weeks ago, I was tracking it every day, so I followed some local meteorologists to see their updates on the storm. The annoying thing is with these kinds of updates they need to be in order for them to really make sense because they get outdated in a period of just a few hours. Well, guess what? Facebook elected to show me hurricane updates from 4 days ago instead of showing the latest update. So instead of telling me right away if the storm will hit me, instead it was talking about how the Yucatan would get clobbered (even though that happened days ago)

That is annoying about Facebook. I'll sometimes see posts from 3 or 4 days ago that I never saw, yet I don't see posts from just a few minutes or hours ago. My app on my phone recently updated, though, to give the option of most relevant, favorites, or most recent. I've found that even the most recent option doesn't always  show the most recent posts, whether they're from friends or from pages I follow. I've found that sometimes when looking for the most recent posts from a news or weather station, for example, it's best just to go to that page's home page to see the most recent postings.

Scott5114

Sports events are not subject to this weirdness because the entire country sees them at the same time - so general convention for those is just to give the time in Eastern and let everyone else calculate from there.

When I was working horse racing the broadcasts from the track would refer to race times in whatever the local time zone at the track was. That would get rather confusing, since they also didn't specify what the local time zone was (just something like "Friday 6:00pm"), so you had to just have the locations of the tracks you were interested in memorized. To help out, we did have a list of the times posted, translated to Central time.

Quote from: tchafe1978 on October 21, 2020, 01:46:07 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on October 21, 2020, 11:52:41 AM

That is annoying about Facebook. I'll sometimes see posts from 3 or 4 days ago that I never saw, yet I don't see posts from just a few minutes or hours ago. My app on my phone recently updated, though, to give the option of most relevant, favorites, or most recent. I've found that even the most recent option doesn't always  show the most recent posts, whether they're from friends or from pages I follow. I've found that sometimes when looking for the most recent posts from a news or weather station, for example, it's best just to go to that page's home page to see the most recent postings.

This is because people figured out that if you wanted people to see your posts, all you had to do was post them at the time of the day that people are on Facebook the most–around lunchtime and after work, mostly. Since the only people who really care if someone sees their post are businesses, Facebook shuffled the posts in an "algorithm" so nobody knows what post is going to show up when, so anyone getting to see a particular post is not guaranteed. This means the only way to make sure your post is seen is to bribe Facebook to buy your way out of the algorithm. It's a shakedown–your user experience is irrelevant if Facebook can make more money off of breaking the interface.

kphoger

Quote from: tchafe1978 on October 21, 2020, 01:46:07 PM
I've found that even the most recent option doesn't always show the most recent posts

Ultimate annoyance.
Male pronouns, please.

TheHighwayMan3561

Rapid City's CBS station is a semi-satellite of Sioux Falls's. They can split it for NFL games (usually because Rapid is a Broncos town meaning sometimes they have to air the late game Sioux Falls doesn't always air). So they get primetime at 6 PM live with Central and Eastern.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.