News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Northeast / Re: General PA Design/Construc...
Last post by 74/171FAN - Today at 01:38:38 PM
(For PA 74) PennDOT - District 8 News: Reminder: Bridge Replacement Project to Begin on Route 74 (Waggoners Gap Road) in Spring Township, Perry County

QuoteHarrisburg, PA – This is a reminder that a bridge replacement project is scheduled to begin next week on Route 74 (Waggoners Gap Road) in Spring Township, Perry County. The bridge spans Baken Creek about a half mile south of the intersection with Route 850.

Weather permitting, the bridge is expected to be closed Monday, April 1.

A detour will be in place using Bridgeport Road (Route 3017), Route 233, and Route 274.

This project consists of a bridge replacement and minor roadway reconstruction.

George S. Hann and Son, Inc., of Fort Littleton, PA, is the contractor on this $3,153,882 project. Also included in this contract is the replacement of the bridge spanning Shermans Creek on Hidden Valley Road in Tyrone Township, Perry County.

All work on this contract is expected to be completed by November 1, 2025.

Motorists can check conditions on major roadways by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.

511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following local alerts on X.

Subscribe to PennDOT news and traffic alerts in Adams, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Lancaster, Lebanon, Perry and York counties at PennDOT District 8.

Information about infrastructure in District 8, including completed work and significant projects, is available at District 8 Results. Find PennDOT's planned and active construction projects at PennDOT Projects.

Find PennDOT news on X, Facebook, and Instagram.

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on Today at 01:23:53 PMThe Wikipedia, and now the AARoads Wiki, have a discussion of how the US Route shield have changed over time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_shield
https://wiki.aaroads.com/wiki/U.S._Route_shield

Is there something similar out there for the Interstate shield?

Has the interstate shield changed all that much since it was adopted? I know there were varying proposals with different designs, but the actual design hasn't changed much other than most states dropping the state name.
Pacific Southwest / Re: California
Last post by Plutonic Panda - Today at 01:36:45 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on Today at 08:19:41 AMMy dad and I witnessed a shooting leaving a Tigers game in Detroit (where I'm originally from) during the mid-1980s.  I still go back to visit, I don't recall ever having bringing it up in the forum.  I would hazard a guess that Detroit has been by far the more crime prone city compared to San Francisco in living memory. 

When I hear vague stories like about crime in San Francisco it makes me curious as to what people are referring.  Generally it is something about the homeless in conjunction with someone publicly peeing or defecating. Homeless people and someone publicly relieving themselves isn't high on the echelon of scary things I personally find scary or even off putting.

I can't fathom what a homeless person would do to an able bodied person like myself other than an attempt at panhandling.  It isn't exactly simple to find a publicly available restroom in any city in California let alone San Francisco.  Considering how much I have had to relieve myself on remote public roads or even during distance runs I guess that I can sympathize with the problem there. 
Well, this is anecdotal I've been frequenting San Francisco for a decade now and it's been noticeably worse since the pandemic. A lot of retailers have closed and yes, you could attribute that to the pandemic, but they've also attribute it to an increased and retail theft so there's more to it. But some of the things I've witnessed since 2020 just in the last few years I've never seen in the five years leading up to it. In fact, I rarely saw crime at all.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by J N Winkler - Today at 01:33:55 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on Today at 09:51:43 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on Today at 09:35:17 AMSo, how much is this going to cost to fix? Hundreds of millions or billions?

Whatever the initial estimate is, the final cost will almost certainly be higher. I have to assume close to a billion. The Woodrow Wilson Bridge project—a much smaller and lower bridge overall—came in at $2.36 billion, although I suppose I should acknowledge that included substantial interchange work for a couple of miles to either side that the Key Bridge project won't need. I also don't know whether the Wilson Bridge figure includes Fifth Amendment compensation for the apartment building that was demolished.

I've seen different figures for the construction cost of the original bridge, including one that equates to $316 million in today's dollars.  However, I do not expect the original design to be reused, because it is fracture-critical and does not afford any opportunities for enhancing pier protection without impinging on the navigational channel.  (Per the nautical chart for Baltimore Harbor, the channel underneath the Key Bridge extends all the way from one pier to the other.  At the Sunshine Skyway, the dolphins and the artificial islands around the piers are all out of the channel.)

In terms of current projects, the Houston Ship Channel Bridge replacement ($1.3 billion) and the New Corpus Christi Harbor Bridge (almost $1 billion) are probably the closest comparators.  However, both have had to undergo major design changes midway through construction, and each will carry more lanes of traffic than the Key Bridge.  With no increase in capacity and an uncomplicated course through design and construction, a cable-stayed replacement might leave us change from a billion dollars--but I wouldn't bet on it.
Mid-South / Re: SH 288 toll lanes, Houston
Last post by MaxConcrete - Today at 01:33:03 PM
Quote from: Chris on March 27, 2024, 03:42:17 PMhttps://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/txdot-288-tolls-pearland-blueridge-19363817.php

The Houston Chronicle reports on a possible buyout of the lease for the express lanes of SH 288.

Texas highway officials, well-funded and looking to stay that way, will consider buying out the private consortium that oversees the Texas 288 Toll Lanes, tearing up a 50-year deal they inked less than a decade ago in favor of long-term toll collections for years to come.

The Transportation Commission approved this resolution. Chairman Bugg emphasized that the resolution authorizes TxDOT to begin the process of purchasing the facility, and there are no immediate changes as a result of this resolution. He also mentioned that the performance of the private consortium is not a factor in this decision.

Senator Robert Nichols was involved in legislation which empowered the SH 288 private toll lanes to be built. He made an appearance to provide background on the history, which goes back to the early 2000s.

A representative from the very pro-toll Reason Foundation made a statement urging TxDOT to reject the resolution.

Even with all the discussion, there was no mention of the reason for the potential buyout of the toll lanes. Nichols suggested the toll lanes may be more profitable than anticipated, so it is a good deal for TxDOT to buy it at the price specified in the contract.

I'm in favor of the buyout because I hope it will result in lower tolls. The tolls have become ridiculously high in the short time the toll road has been open. The ramps at the interchange at Beltway 8 (Sam Houston Tollway) are tolled, and using a ramp incurs a toll of $2.96. That's absurdly high. Using the full length of main lanes costs around $15. I think the interchange ramps should be untolled, and the main lane tolls should not exceed $5.
General Highway Talk / Interstate Shield Evolution
Last post by CtrlAltDel - Today at 01:23:53 PM
The Wikipedia, and now the AARoads Wiki, have a discussion of how the US Route shield have changed over time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_shield
https://wiki.aaroads.com/wiki/U.S._Route_shield

Is there something similar out there for the Interstate shield?
Quote from: MikieTimT on Today at 12:44:52 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 19, 2023, 07:22:48 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on December 19, 2023, 06:34:19 PMNorthwest Arkansas.

US-71 (R.I.P) proposed one back in 2018, but it didn't get enough interest at the time.  There's a whole lot more moving parts now, and there are scores of road projects in the works coming up in the next 3-7 years mainly regarding the Springdale Northern Bypass and AR-112 with its 28 roundabouts in 26 miles along with the XNA Connector and likely Siloam Springs Bypass.  So maybe 2025-2026 would be a good time for one if you like lots of orange barrels along with the ever-present historical bridges and scenic roads that radiate from NWA.

Was there ever a Springfield (MO) one?

According to the map on the very next post, there was one back in 2018.

If we had an NWA one in 3 years time, Springfield is only a 2 hour drive away, and Buc-ee's should be built and operational by then.  Not to mention, the Springdale Northern Bypass will have the western leg completed and the XNA Connector road as well.  AR-112 will be in full upgrade still, especially north of US-412 in Tontitown.  Just about reaching the point of perpetual road construction projects with growth rate of the area.
The Springfield Buc-ee's has been up and running since early December. The Facebook links on this post shows what the contents of that two-day meet were.

As for NWA.. definitely worth a visit to look at the new projects going on there. The Golden Gate of AR at Beaver would make for a good side-trip.
General Highway Talk / Re: Exits that could be/should...
Last post by CtrlAltDel - Today at 01:20:29 PM
Quote from: flan on Today at 10:56:12 AMExit 310 is another seemingly useless exit. Exit 310 serves no county highways or towns, the sign just says 'No Services'.

I agree with your assessment, but I have to say, I like it's style:
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Illinois notes
Last post by SEWIGuy - Today at 01:14:29 PM
Quote from: vdeane on Today at 12:58:42 PM
Quote from: ran4sh on Today at 10:26:02 AMSticker transponders *are* transponders. And they should be forced on all of E-ZPass (eventually), because they work and they're better.
Can't move a sticker between vehicles without an ugly scotch tape hack that is noted to not be without risk.  Funny way of being "better", especially since rental car companies gouge anyone who dares use a toll road without bringing along their own transponder or using a cash booth.

And what if you have multiple cars but don't want to get a separate transponder for each?  May parents have two cars between them, but never use the Thruway at the same time, so they only have one E-ZPass.  We're not sure how trailers are supposed to work, either.  Back in the day, you needed a separate transponder for towing, but I can't find much on the subject these days.  Thankfully, Dad prefers taking NY 104 over the Thruway, so the question has never come up.

Sticker transponders are free in Illinois. Just order one for each car and link it in your account. Not hard.
General Highway Talk / Re: Exits that could be/should...
Last post by flan - Today at 01:12:05 PM
That is a good point, it looks like the farms south of Exit 245 would be a hassle (but still possible) to reach without an exit. However, as far as I can tell all of the other exits are just slightly more convenient for the five people who live near them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.