News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-69 in TN

Started by Grzrd, November 27, 2010, 06:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Quote from: Quotes from the article:The remaining portions of the planned I-69 route through West Tennessee, including parts in Lauderdale, Tipton and Shelby counties, will "continue to be in a held status until there is dedicated federal funding," TDOT spokeswoman Nichole Lawrence said in an email.

TDOT officials said they were putting the I-69 project on hold until the federal government dedicated more money to it. Without dedicated federal funds, which generally cover 80-90 percent of the cost of building an interstate, the state would have to divert precious federal highway construction dollars from other projects across Tennessee to pay for I-69, they said.

This is what bothers me about several states, including Tennessee here.  They have these grandiose plans that require a lot of money, yet instead of finding other sources, they complain that they can't suck any more from the Federal trough.  Face it, TDOT, Federal highway funding is **HIGHLY UNLIKELY** to increase anytime soon (if ever).  If you really want the project done, you should make it a priority and put some state money into it.

It is for a very similar reason why Corridor X (US 78/Future I-22) has been completed in Mississippi for over 20 years while Alabama just barely got their portion finished.  Mississippi made it a priority for completion and dedicated a fair bit of state money to the project, while Alabama dithered and then whined when Federal highway funding wasn't coming in fast enough.

vdeane

Many states are still married to the old system where the state and federal governments gave the DOT large chunks of money that the DOT could spend as they liked, with enough to both maintain the system and do lots of new projects.  While some have adapted to the new reality of tight funding and getting dedicated sources for each and every project, many have not.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on October 30, 2016, 12:28:59 PM
Quote from: Quotes from the article:The remaining portions of the planned I-69 route through West Tennessee, including parts in Lauderdale, Tipton and Shelby counties, will "continue to be in a held status until there is dedicated federal funding," TDOT spokeswoman Nichole Lawrence said in an email.

TDOT officials said they were putting the I-69 project on hold until the federal government dedicated more money to it. Without dedicated federal funds, which generally cover 80-90 percent of the cost of building an interstate, the state would have to divert precious federal highway construction dollars from other projects across Tennessee to pay for I-69, they said.

This is what bothers me about several states, including Tennessee here.  They have these grandiose plans that require a lot of money, yet instead of finding other sources, they complain that they can't suck any more from the Federal trough.  Face it, TDOT, Federal highway funding is **HIGHLY UNLIKELY** to increase anytime soon (if ever).  If you really want the project done, you should make it a priority and put some state money into it.

But the only reason that this project is even being done is because of the federal government and its desire to build a border-to-border I-69. If not for that federal legislation, Tennessee would probably be perfectly content to leave US 51 as it is. And Kentucky would have been just fine leaving the WK/Pennyrile and I-24/Purchase interchanges the way they were.

If the feds want I-69, then they should pony up the money to build it. Otherwise, Tennessee (and Kentucky and probably a bunch of the other affected states) probably do have higher construction priorities.

The feds decreed I-69. They should pay for it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

QuoteBut the only reason that this project is even being done is because of the federal government certain influential members of Congress who pandered and brought the pork to their constituents and its their desire to build a border-to-border I-69.

FTFY, because that's really how I-69 came to be.  FHWA did not request this...it was dropped on them by Congress.  To say "the Feds decreed it" is a serious misnomer.

vdeane

Congress decreed it.  And if there's no funding, it's not pork, it's an unfunded mandate (in this case, also congressional overreach; they should not be involved in the interstate system one bit).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

lordsutch

It's not like Tennessee hasn't sunk state money into projects in the past (notably SR 840); the issue is that the political center of gravity in TN has shifted to the Nashville/Chattanooga corridor from the period when west Tennessee was getting projects like the original US 51 and SR 22 freeway corridors.

As I've noted before, however, most of the west Tennessee priorities (except a new bridge, which realistically isn't going to happen unless tolled or the "old" I-55 bridge falls in the river) that were on the "list" before I-69 are going to be done in the next few years, so SIU 8 and the remainder of SIU 9 will be in position for traditional funding streams along with the US 45 south Jackson bypass.

Incidentally, I have no idea why they think they need dedicated funding for a 80-90% federal match since that's standard for any new construction project under NHPP. On the other hand, it could be a reporter just not understanding how new construction funding works.

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on October 30, 2016, 06:34:07 PM
Congress decreed it.  And if there's no funding, it's not pork, it's an unfunded mandate (in this case, also congressional overreach; they should not be involved in the interstate system one bit).

You seriously don't think the people's elected representatives should be involved in deciding which roads get built?

brycecordry

Quote from: hbelkins on October 30, 2016, 10:47:48 PM

You seriously don't think the people's elected representatives should be involved in deciding which roads get built?

I believe that the congressmen are the people's liaisons to the government and how that operates. That said, due to the fact that our country has become too partisan, I believe that many representatives today work for their party and not the people they represent.
A freeway is a freeway. We could cheaply build many new Interstates if it weren't for the nitty-gritty intricacy of Interstate Standards.

Grzrd

Quote from: lordsutch on April 25, 2016, 01:30:38 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on April 25, 2016, 01:14:30 PM
Although it does not appear in TDOT's Shelby County listing in the Proposed Fiscal Years 2017-2019 Comprehensive Multimodal Program, $1 million (combined federal and state funding) in estimated ROW acquisition costs for the above I-240/69 project does appear in the the Memphis MPO's FY 2017-20 TIP Project List that will be presented to its Transportation Policy Board for approval on May 5 (p. 1/8 of pdf):

Maybe the Memphis MPO wants to include this I-69 project in the TIP in order to help establish a priority for the time if and when Gov. Haslam and Commissioner Schroer persuade the Tennessee legislature to increase state-level funding for transportation.
I went to a public meeting on this project about a decade ago. Basically the project is to widen Midtown I-240 between I-55 and I-40 from 6 to 8 through lanes; most of the work was originally planned in the current ROW by narrowing the inner shoulders and using 11-foot lanes, hence the low ROW acquisition costs. (I think I suggested using 10' inner lanes and keeping 12' outer lanes and limiting trucks to the two right-hand lanes.) I believe TDOT also planned to remove some of the loop ramps at the South Parkway cloverleaf. If I recall correctly, there are also some bridge clearance issues that may or may not be resolved too.

The Memphis MPO adopted the TIP on August 25, and this project survived (p. 38/170 of pdf; p. 27 of document).  Also. it confirms that the end project is to widen from six lanes to eight lanes:

The Ghostbuster

When this is done, will Interstate 69 finally be signed through Memphis?

codyg1985

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 02, 2016, 02:05:29 PM

That's a good question. That would make the most sense, along with decommissioning I-240 along that segment.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

lordsutch

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 02, 2016, 02:10:31 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 02, 2016, 02:05:29 PM

That's a good question. That would make the most sense, along with decommissioning I-240 along that segment.

I've long advocated decommissioning that section of I-240 in favor of numbering it I-69, for junction continuity if nothing else since unsigned I-69 is actually the through north-south movement at the I-55/I-240 interchange.

Decommissioning midtown I-240 would also clear the path for correctly renumbering the former I-240's exits to eliminate the numbering discontinuity at the I-40/240 east interchange (rump I-240's exits could be renumbered west-to-east from I-55 to I-40).

The Ghostbuster

Somehow, I doubt that portion of 240 will be decommissioned. But since I've never been to Memphis, I can't claim any expertise on the matter.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 03, 2016, 03:27:07 PM
Somehow, I doubt that portion of 240 will be decommissioned. But since I've never been to Memphis, I can't claim any expertise on the matter.
The only road in Memphis that I-69 will replace is SR 300.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

GreenLanternCorps

I posted these in the I-269 thread, but they are relevant here.

They are two maps of proposed I-69 Section 8 from I-155 south to I-269.

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/tdot/attachments/i-69s01.pdf

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/tdot/attachments/i-69s03.pdf

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on November 04, 2016, 01:03:07 PM

So, let me get this straight.
Temporarily, when built, I-69 will curve left and become I-269? Weird.

lordsutch

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 04, 2016, 01:58:03 PM

If SIU 9 to the south isn't built first, obviously the connection to I-269 & US 51 will need to be built as part of SIU 8. Presumably the future 69/269 interchange would be mostly built out at this point, much as when TN 385 was extended to TN 57 from US 72, the future I-269 interchange was mostly constructed except the NB 269 to WB 385 flyover.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: lordsutch on November 04, 2016, 02:12:20 PM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 04, 2016, 01:58:03 PM

If SIU 9 to the south isn't built first, obviously the connection to I-269 & US 51 will need to be built as part of SIU 8. Presumably the future 69/269 interchange would be mostly built out at this point, much as when TN 385 was extended to TN 57 from US 72, the future I-269 interchange was mostly constructed except the NB 269 to WB 385 flyover.
Sounds cool. Also, Will TN 385 be co-signed with I-269 or just I-269?

Grzrd

I recently emailed TDOT and asked them how the environmental process on SIU 8 was progressing. The pertinent part of the response:

I want to thank you for your continued interest in I-69 through West Tennessee.  I understand you want to know if the "hold"  status until dedicated funding can be identified means the environmental process will be put on hold  too for SIU 8, Dyersburg to Memphis.   The answer is that TDOT's Environmental Division is working with the consultant on the completion of the Final Environmental Impact Statement.   Currently, we anticipate the completion of the FEIS in fourth quarter of 2017, subject to review times, internally and Federal Highway Administration.

Quote from: froggie on October 30, 2016, 12:28:59 PM
This is what bothers me about several states, including Tennessee here.  They have these grandiose plans that require a lot of money, yet instead of finding other sources, they complain that they can't suck any more from the Federal trough ....

To be fair, the article should have read "dedicated federal funding or increased state funding" Commissioner Schroer and Gov. Haslam toured the state late last year making the case for increased transportation funding*. This Oct. 5 article quotes Commissioner Schroer as saying that, after the election, Gov. Haslam will introduce a bill to the General Assembly, and one argument in favor of the bill is that Tennessee is falling behind neighboring states:

Tennessee's Commissioner of Transportation told local and state leaders Wednesday that the governor is working on a bill that could increase the gas tax across the Volunteer State.
Last November, Gov. Bill Haslam traveled the state to try to get lawmakers to raise the state's motor vehicle fuels tax to fund improving the state's roadways, but by January he decided against proposing the bill.
According to Transportation Commissioner John Schroer, the bill will be introduced in the 2017 General Assembly ....
"We're really just talking about where we're going and how transportation affects the economy and jobs across the state,"  he said. "A good transportation network creates job opportunities in every region. This year, I only had $30 million to fund projects that can bring in jobs. I can't do that much longer when competing with other states. We are one of five states that has done absolutely nothing to fund transportation. And I don't want to be a state that does absolutely nothing."
Virginia, North Carolina and Georgia have all changed their laws to ensure they could fund road projects.
North Carolina reduced the gas tax from 36 cents to 30 cents, but increased registration fees among other things, which enabled them to raise $352 million. Virginia threw out its gas tax and put a wholesale tax on gasoline that comes into the state, which increased its budget to $1.4 billion annually. And Georgia raised its gas tax 6 cents, put fees on electric cars and approved a hotel/motel fee to pay for roads.
According to Schroer, Tennessee can't stay competitive with those kinds of numbers being spent on roads.
"Those states have done some pretty strong funding,"  he said. "And our ability to come up with the money to do the types of projects that are job specific is getting harder and harder."

At least Schroer is aware that Tennessee is doing nothing and is trying to change it.

This Oct. 20 article reports that Gov. Haslam is still refining his plan:

When the dust from this year's election settles, Tennessee lawmakers are expected to face the prospect of raising the state's gas tax, an idea Gov. Bill Haslam discussed on Thursday ....
For months, Haslam and members of his administration have been highlighting that the state's 21.4 cent per gallon tax has been in place for almost 30 years, as part of a larger effort to call for an increase.
Even with Tennessee's booming economy and continued population growth, which have helped bolster the state budget, the Haslam administration is hoping to convince Tennesseans and state lawmakers of the need for increasing the tax ....
On Thursday, Haslam said the details of a gas tax plan are still be discussed ....
Haslam balked at the idea of having the state borrow money to help pay for all the infrastructure needs, while equating Tennessee's road system to a farming operation that had been handed down from generation to generation.
"They passed it on to you debt free," he said. "Before you pass it on to your kids, I'm going to put some debt on it. Well that's just not right. You inherited something that's been this way for a long time. You shouldn't pass it on with debt when you didn't get it with debt. I feel real strongly about that." ....
When asked if he thinks the argument about not borrowing more money to address the state's infrastructure needs will convince not only Tennesseans but also lawmakers – who would ultimately have to approve a gas tax increase – Haslam said, "We'll see."

Incidentally, the timing of the SIU 8 FEIS would occur about the same time as a passed bill. They may have to identify a feasible source of funding for at least part of it. I don't recall the exact requirement.

edit

I-69 was included as a project that would be expedited by increased transportation funding:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3841.msg2104792#msg2104792

Grzrd

This January 4 article reports that Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam recently spoke in Jackson and, among other things, promoted his idea of a gas tax that would be used to fund I-69, which he called "critical" to West Tennessee:

Gas tax
Haslam wouldn't say how much of an increase is being considered, but said he is in the middle of conversation with legislators about Tennessee's first gas-tax increase in a quarter-century.
"We obviously have to do something that can get passed,"  Haslam said. "I think everybody agrees we have to do something; the question now is what."
While the state has some surplus money, it can't be spent on an ongoing transportation plan, Haslam said.
Road projects have piled up across the state, leading to calls for a gas tax to provide for those backlogged projects.
Haslam said a tax needs to be reasonable while meeting needs in communities, such as Interstate 69, which he called "critical"  to West Tennessee.

This January 3 article reports that Haslam has floated a trial balloon of a nine-cent gas tax increase and a twelve-cent diesel tax increase before making his official proposal.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on January 16, 2016, 03:25:56 PM
TDOT has posted the south of US 51 to south of TN 5 project on its February 12, 2016 Letting page:

Allowing approximately 3.5 years to complete a grading and structures project by October 31, 2019 seems like an unnecessarily long period of time to do so.

Google Maps has updated its imagery of I-69 construction on the south side of Union City.

hbelkins

Why has there been nothing done on the north side of Union City? I was there back in the fall, and there is absolutely nothing visible from TN 21 going toward the state line. Seems to me that a bypass of US 51 from the north side of town to the south side would be of more use than the section that's under construction now.

froggie

I've never understood why they didn't utilize more of the existing bypass.  At a minimum, the east-west leg of the existing bypass (from west of TN 21 to TN 22) could have easily been used, saving both time and money.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: hbelkins on January 15, 2017, 05:34:32 PM
Why has there been nothing done on the north side of Union City? I was there back in the fall, and there is absolutely nothing visible from TN 21 going toward the state line. Seems to me that a bypass of US 51 from the north side of town to the south side would be of more use than the section that's under construction now.

Segments 3, 4, and 5 all need to be complete to bypass Union City.  Segment 4 is built but not paved.  Segment 3 is being built.  Segment 5 has not had work done yet.

I have to assume they will do segment 5 next to complete the bypass and then pave it all at once.  That would give I-69 a functional bypass around Union City.

LM117

Wasn't there a proposal for TN-22 to become an I-x69 between Union City and Martin? 
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.