I-69 in TN

Started by Grzrd, November 27, 2010, 06:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on February 11, 2017, 07:14:32 PM
The I-69/I-155 Interchange will be built just to the west of Dyersburg.

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/tdot/attachments/i-69s03.pdf

Am I correct in assume only one of the two pairs of rest areas shown on that map is actually planned to be built and the other was just an alternative?  I do not recall Tennessee going for frequent rest areas as Iowa does on I-80 (seems to be one every 30 miles).

lordsutch

TDOT hasn't gotten to the design stage, so the number of rest areas is up in the air at this point. I know there's also a welcome center planned for SIU 7 (but I don't think anything else is planned in either direction).

My guess is only one pair will ultimately be built to save costs, since existing US 51 just has one rest area between Millington and Dyersburg, but they may have different ideas.

Henry

Well, at least that's a start.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

aboges26

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on February 11, 2017, 07:14:32 PM
The I-69/I-155 Interchange will be built just to the west of Dyersburg.

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/tdot/attachments/i-69s03.pdf

In the link to the map that you posted1, I notice I-155 written between where I-69 heads south and US 412 takes off southeast to Jackson, TN.  Is I-155 slated to stay signed on this segment for a possible extension down US 412 to I-40 if US 412 ever got upgraded to interstate?

The routing of I-69 between Memphis and I-155 seems to be a very strategic link to St. Louis for Memphis-St. Louis traffic to avoid crossing the Mississippi at the bottleneck that is the I-40/55 multiplex, especially by placing the interchange to the west of Dyersburg.  Furthermore, if US 412 was upgraded to interstate standards it would provide an alternative east-west interstate quality crossing of the Mississippi, providing a long detour/bypass around Memphis to the north (albeit far north).  Anyone know the earthquake rating of the I-155 bridge over the Mississippi?  Would it survive New Madrid quakes that the I-40 and I-50 bridges in Memphis?

lordsutch

Quote from: aboges26 on February 14, 2017, 10:07:49 PM
In the link to the map that you posted1, I notice I-155 written between where I-69 heads south and US 412 takes off southeast to Jackson, TN.  Is I-155 slated to stay signed on this segment for a possible extension down US 412 to I-40 if US 412 ever got upgraded to interstate?

I doubt it. US 412 to Jackson is a rural expressway with a 65 mph speed limit already, and I don't see TDOT upgrading the route more except maybe for spot safety improvements. If they were going to build it to freeway standards, they'd have done it when they built the TN 22 and US 51 freeways in the same region.

If it did have to be pressed into service as a temporary I-40 diversion route (or to replace the I-24 crossing at Paducah), TDOT could close pretty much all of the median crossings to keep traffic moving.

QuoteAnyone know the earthquake rating of the I-155 bridge over the Mississippi?  Would it survive New Madrid quakes that the I-40 and I-50 bridges in Memphis?

I believe the I-155 bridge is at least as seismically safe as the I-40 ("new") bridge, as it dates from roughly the same period; both have had seismic retrofits since construction as well. The I-55 bridge will almost certainly collapse into the river in any big quake and retrofitting it has long been ruled out.

Grzrd

Anyone know the earthquake rating of the I-155 bridge over the Mississippi?  Would it survive New Madrid quakes that the I-40 and I-50 bridges in Memphis?

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=6535.msg2088849#msg2088849

Quote from: Grzrd on August 25, 2015, 05:24:58 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on May 15, 2013, 11:18:04 AM
This June 2011 study discusses which bridges may collapse if there is another "big one" (page 22/112 of pdf; page 18 of document):
North of Memphis:
• I-155 in Dyersburg, Tennessee (75 miles north of Memphis) – This bridge is likely to collapse during an earthquake similar to the 1811-1812 events that occurred in the NMSZ ....
This article about repairs being made to the I-155 bridge made me think of this thread because of the understated way it discusses the potential impact of a large earthquake on the bridge:
The I-155 Caruthersville Bridge is the northernmost bridge over the Lower Mississippi River, with the combined flow of the Upper Mississippi and the Ohio River ....
The Caruthersville Bridge sits in a geologically interesting place in that it is only 6 miles from the New Madrid Fault. A 1993/1994 study found that bedrock was located 2700 feet under the surface, so a significant earthquake event would almost certainly create severe liquefaction. The bridge as it stands would not hold up to liquefaction.
Otherwise, the article has some interesting historical and other information about the bridge.

aboges26

Quote from: Grzrd on February 14, 2017, 10:35:36 PM
Anyone know the earthquake rating of the I-155 bridge over the Mississippi?  Would it survive New Madrid quakes that the I-40 and I-50 bridges in Memphis?

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=6535.msg2088849#msg2088849

Quote from: Grzrd on August 25, 2015, 05:24:58 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on May 15, 2013, 11:18:04 AM
This June 2011 study discusses which bridges may collapse if there is another "big one" (page 22/112 of pdf; page 18 of document):
North of Memphis:
- I-155 in Dyersburg, Tennessee (75 miles north of Memphis) — This bridge is likely to collapse during an earthquake similar to the 1811-1812 events that occurred in the NMSZ ....
This article about repairs being made to the I-155 bridge made me think of this thread because of the understated way it discusses the potential impact of a large earthquake on the bridge:
The I-155 Caruthersville Bridge is the northernmost bridge over the Lower Mississippi River, with the combined flow of the Upper Mississippi and the Ohio River ....
The Caruthersville Bridge sits in a geologically interesting place in that it is only 6 miles from the New Madrid Fault. A 1993/1994 study found that bedrock was located 2700 feet under the surface, so a significant earthquake event would almost certainly create severe liquefaction. The bridge as it stands would not hold up to liquefaction.
Otherwise, the article has some interesting historical and other information about the bridge.

Thank you for directing me, that sure makes me feel better to know its chances! 

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 11, 2015, 11:31:37 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on September 06, 2015, 03:09:01 PM
The Jackson Tourism website has posted an article about the August 28 groundbreaking for the Memphis I-55/(currently unsigned) I-69 Welcome Center that projects an opening in Fall 2016
This October 5 article, which includes four slides depicting what the I-55/69 Welcome Center will look like, reports that the construction permit was obtained on October 2

This article (with an accompanying video) reports that the I-55/69 Welcome Center is now scheduled to open in mid-Spring and that it will not be a fully net-zero building at opening:

Tennessee's newest Welcome Center in Memphis is designed – but not equipped – to use less energy than it generates when it opens in mid-spring.
The Welcome Center, perched off the northbound Interstate 55 lanes in Whitehaven, is nearly ready to offer travelers entering Tennessee from Mississippi a break as well as the usual information on things to do and see in Memphis and Tennessee.
Construction crews are down to the small, punch-list chores in completing the $2.1 million building.
But one item not on the to-do list: Installing enough solar panels to allow the building to generate as much or more electricity than it consumes. Such buildings are also known as "net-zero energy'' structures.
As built, the Welcome Center's photo voltaic solar array appears to cover less than half the south-facing rooftop. The panels are enough to generate 22 percent of the power needed for a net-zero building.

"We didn't have additional funds available,'' Nichole Lawrence, spokeswoman for the Tennessee Department of Transportation, said in an email. "The state may be able to add additional panels through an 'Energy Grant' as 'Federal' and/or 'State' programs are implemented and/or reauthorized.''
If and when that money becomes available, expanding the solar array will be easy, said architect Matt Seltzer of archimania.
Archimania designed the building to provide plenty of space to enlarge the solar-panel system "in a plug-and-play sort of manner until you either replaced or exceeded the amount of energy needed to keep this thing running over the course of a year,'' Seltzer said ....
The old welcome center on the same 14-acre site was demolished in spring 2012. The project was delayed in 2013 when bids came in over budget, forcing the state to redesign and rebid the work.

Grzrd

This Jan. 25 article reports that I-69 in Obion County (SIU 7) was among seven projects submitted to the Trump Administration for consideration in the infrastructure plan:

The Haslam administration has submitted a seven-item list of priority state road projects totaling $1.16 billion for President Donald Trump's administration to consider.
Tennessee is among states that have offered up such lists of "shovel ready" but unfunded projects to the National Governors Association at the request of Trump's then-transition team ....
The Volunteer State list includes a stretch of U.S. 127 in Cumberland and Fentress counties north of Chattanooga.
Trump's request didn't seek cost estimates but figures provided Wednesday by the Haslam officials to the Times Free Press shows a price tag on the planned improvements of the highway and bridges is projected at $159.4 million ....
In addition to U.S. 127, other projects on the list being forwarded to the Trump administration are:
* Alcoa Highway - Knox County/Blount County - $183.1 million
* Lamar Avenue - Memphis - $252 million
* I-440 - Nashville - $50 million
* State Route 109 - Wilson County - $18.5 million
* I-40 - Jackson - $66.3 million
* I-69 - Obion County - $236.7 million.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on February 10, 2017, 01:43:28 PM
Al of the projects necessary to complete SIU 7 have apparently been included (including the Kentucky state line connection). It is interesting which SIU 8 projects were included: they are concentrated in Lauderdale County, in the middle of SIU 8. The IMPROVE Act map provides a good illustration:

I guess it was a "spread the wealth" approach to make it politically feasible.
Also, no new terrain SIU 9 projects were included. Maybe if the Lamar Avenue upgrades get the FASTLANE grant, then the money could be shifted to I-69 SIU 9.

This article reports that Gov. Haslam's IMPROVE Act legislation passed the Tennessee House and Senate today. It has to go back to the House for some minor reconciliation language, but it appears to be a done deal:

The state House this afternoon approved Tennessee's first gas tax increase in 28 years, voting 60-37 for Republican Gov. Bill Haslam's proposed IMPROVE Act.
Senators quickly followed suit, voting 25-6 for the measure.
But the Senate-passed bill will have to go back to the House because it differs from the lower chamber's version.
The House vote came at the end of a nearly 4 1/2 hour debate in which the Republican majority warred with itself over the fuel increases to help the state tackle an estimated $10.5 billion backlog of 962 specifically identified road and bridge projects across the state ....

Now, in regard to SIU 8 and the Lauderdale County projects (as well as the Kentucky state line section), TDOT needs to hurry up and finish the respective Final Environmental Impact Statements and submit them to the FHWA for Records of Decision.

mvak36

Quote from: Grzrd on April 19, 2017, 07:11:29 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on February 10, 2017, 01:43:28 PM
Al of the projects necessary to complete SIU 7 have apparently been included (including the Kentucky state line connection). It is interesting which SIU 8 projects were included: they are concentrated in Lauderdale County, in the middle of SIU 8. The IMPROVE Act map provides a good illustration:

I guess it was a "spread the wealth" approach to make it politically feasible.
Also, no new terrain SIU 9 projects were included. Maybe if the Lamar Avenue upgrades get the FASTLANE grant, then the money could be shifted to I-69 SIU 9.

This article reports that Gov. Haslam's IMPROVE Act legislation passed the Tennessee House and Senate today. It has to go back to the House for some minor reconciliation language, but it appears to be a done deal:

The state House this afternoon approved Tennessee's first gas tax increase in 28 years, voting 60-37 for Republican Gov. Bill Haslam's proposed IMPROVE Act.
Senators quickly followed suit, voting 25-6 for the measure.
But the Senate-passed bill will have to go back to the House because it differs from the lower chamber's version.
The House vote came at the end of a nearly 4 1/2 hour debate in which the Republican majority warred with itself over the fuel increases to help the state tackle an estimated $10.5 billion backlog of 962 specifically identified road and bridge projects across the state ....

Now, in regard to SIU 8 and the Lauderdale County projects (as well as the Kentucky state line section), TDOT needs to hurry up and finish the respective Final Environmental Impact Statements and submit them to the FHWA for Records of Decision.

That's great news. One step closer to completion between Indy and Memphis.

Also, it gets me a little closer to the prediction I made last year :bigass:. Although Section 6 in IN will cut it close
Quote from: mvak36 on January 29, 2016, 05:09:31 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if, in the next decade, I-69 goes all the way from the TN-KY border near Fulton all the way to Canada.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

codyg1985

IMO if I-69 is completed northeast of Dyersburg it would be a functional corridor. I-69 between Dyersburg and Memphis would be icing on the cake.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

mvak36

Quote from: codyg1985 on April 20, 2017, 08:15:45 AM
IMO if I-69 is completed northeast of Dyersburg it would be a functional corridor. I-69 between Dyersburg and Memphis would be icing on the cake.

I agree. I think they can slowly work their way down to Memphis once they get SIU 7 done.

Henry

Quote from: mvak36 on April 20, 2017, 10:11:56 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on April 20, 2017, 08:15:45 AM

I agree. I think they can slowly work their way down to Memphis once they get SIU 7 done.
It would be great to have a direct connection between Indy and Memphis. Maybe not in our lifetimes, but hopefully soon.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mvak36

I emailed TDOT a couple of weeks ago after the IMPROVE Act passed. I asked them about when they were going to list the projects they will be doing for their 3 year plan and also about the I-69 SIU 7. Here's the reply I got.

QuoteThe overall time frame for delivering projects on the Improve Act list is 13-14 years.  As far as the schedule for individual projects, we are currently working to develop a prioritization list for the next 3 years.  Please continue to visit our website at http://www.tn.gov/tdot/ over the upcoming days for a listing of these projects.

The I-69 SIU 7 from Troy to the Kentucky State Line has several construction projects that are at differing phases of development. Starting south and working towards the Kentucky they are as follows:

1)      From 1.2 miles south of SR  183 to 0.2 miles south of SR 21 (Troy/Rives Road)–the construction plans are near completion.
2)      From South of SR 21 (Troy/Rives Road) to South of SR 3 (US 51)–the construction plans are near completion.
3)      South of SR5 to West of SR 21-  this project is being staged constructed– we have already let a grade and drain project to a contractor and will follow up with a paving project to be let to contract in the future.
4)      From South of SR 5 to West of SR 21–this project is being staged constructed–we have already let a grade and drain project to a contractor and will follow up with a paving project to be let to contract in the future.
5)      From West of SR 21 to SR 3 (US 51) near Mayberry Road–the construction plans are near completion on this section as well.
6)      From Rogers Rd in Kentucky to SR 3 (US 45 W & US 51) in Obion County (5.0 miles)–this section is currently in the Environmental Phase with Preliminary Engineering  phase to follow.

sparker

Quote from: mvak36 on May 08, 2017, 11:08:38 AM
I emailed TDOT a couple of weeks ago after the IMPROVE Act passed. I asked them about when they were going to list the projects they will be doing for their 3 year plan and also about the I-69 SIU 7. Here's the reply I got.

QuoteThe overall time frame for delivering projects on the Improve Act list is 13-14 years.  As far as the schedule for individual projects, we are currently working to develop a prioritization list for the next 3 years.  Please continue to visit our website at http://www.tn.gov/tdot/ over the upcoming days for a listing of these projects.

The I-69 SIU 7 from Troy to the Kentucky State Line has several construction projects that are at differing phases of development. Starting south and working towards the Kentucky they are as follows:

1)      From 1.2 miles south of SR  183 to 0.2 miles south of SR 21 (Troy/Rives Road)–the construction plans are near completion.
2)      From South of SR 21 (Troy/Rives Road) to South of SR 3 (US 51)–the construction plans are near completion.
3)      South of SR5 to West of SR 21-  this project is being staged constructed– we have already let a grade and drain project to a contractor and will follow up with a paving project to be let to contract in the future.
4)      From South of SR 5 to West of SR 21–this project is being staged constructed–we have already let a grade and drain project to a contractor and will follow up with a paving project to be let to contract in the future.
5)      From West of SR 21 to SR 3 (US 51) near Mayberry Road–the construction plans are near completion on this section as well.
6)      From Rogers Rd in Kentucky to SR 3 (US 45 W & US 51) in Obion County (5.0 miles)–this section is currently in the Environmental Phase with Preliminary Engineering  phase to follow.

Looks like only 2 of the 6 segments have been let; the remainder in various planning stages -- with no time frame attached.  Not really all that encouraging for the near term -- probably completion is at least 7-10 years out.  This doesn't portend well for SIU 8 within a 20/25-or-so-year window!

I-39

So when will we see a completed section of I-69 in Tennessee?

sparker

Quote from: I-39 on May 08, 2017, 02:21:11 PM

Don't hold your breath!  The existing US 51 freeway needs at least inside shoulder widening from Dyersburg to Troy; there may be a few under height bridges to deal with as well.  The bypasses of Troy and Union City, while in progress, really don't connect to anything at their ends as of yet -- and the previous few posts indicate the rather slow process to get the remainder to the KY line developed.  I wouldn't expect to see the first I-69 reassurance signs for at least 5-7 years (and that's being optimistic!).   

Grzrd

Quote from: mvak36 on May 08, 2017, 11:08:38 AM
.... 6)     From Rogers Rd in Kentucky to SR 3 (US 45 W & US 51) in Obion County (5.0 miles)–this section is currently in the Environmental Phase with Preliminary Engineering  phase to follow.

I can't tell if they chose Alternative 1 or Alternative 2 from the December, 2015 meeting:

I guess they are still trying to figure it out in the environmental phase.

lordsutch

Quote from: sparker on May 08, 2017, 02:49:26 PM
Quote from: I-39 on May 08, 2017, 02:21:11 PM

Don't hold your breath!  The existing US 51 freeway needs at least inside shoulder widening from Dyersburg to Troy; there may be a few under height bridges to deal with as well.  The bypasses of Troy and Union City, while in progress, really don't connect to anything at their ends as of yet -- and the previous few posts indicate the rather slow process to get the remainder to the KY line developed.  I wouldn't expect to see the first I-69 reassurance signs for at least 5-7 years (and that's being optimistic!).   

I'm sure the inner shoulder will get a design exception. AFAIK none of the bridges are posted and, I believe, date from the 80s, so I'm pretty sure they were built to modern height standards (unlike the Kentucky parkways that weren't even built to the Interstate standards of the day).

A continuous freeway (with an interim configuration at South Fulton to close the median) could be in place within 5 years if TDOT acquires ROW and lets all 3 segments (except #6, which is more of a housekeeping item necessary for the long-term but not for current volumes) at once. My guess though is that it gets piecemealed over a longer period unless there's a big influx of federal money for shovel-ready projects.

Grzrd

There's a lot of I-69 SIU 7 planned for FY 2020 in the FY 2018-20 Three Year Plan (pp. 9-10/21 of pdf):

There's also revised ROW acquisition for I-69/I-240 (p.12/21 of pdf):

No Lauderdale County/SIU 8 projects, though.

sparker

Quote from: Grzrd on May 09, 2017, 11:13:13 AM

Is TnDOT planning on widening this segment of 69/240?  It's certainly been in service for a while -- driven on it several times myself in the '90's and early '00's.  Since the I-40 interchange was rebuilt years ago, does this project involve the reconfiguration of the I-55 interchange at the south end -- or is it simply addressing the freeway in between the interchanges as a stand-alone project? 

codyg1985

Quote from: sparker on May 09, 2017, 05:31:35 PM

Is TnDOT planning on widening this segment of 69/240?  It's certainly been in service for a while -- driven on it several times myself in the '90's and early '00's.  Since the I-40 interchange was rebuilt years ago, does this project involve the reconfiguration of the I-55 interchange at the south end -- or is it simply addressing the freeway in between the interchanges as a stand-alone project? 

Yes, I believe this is for a widening project. I would imagine that at that point TDOT may elect to apply to extend I-69 north to I-40.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

lordsutch

Quote from: sparker on May 09, 2017, 05:31:35 PM

Yep, TDOT is planning to add a lane in each direction, partially by narrowing the lanes to 11' from 12' to minimize the needed ROW. The plans I saw back in the day (early 2000s) would also remove some of the loop ramps at South Parkway and improve a few of the other ramps.

I-39

So what are the plans to address US 51/Chickasaw Dr interchange? They'll need to fix that before the I-69 designation comes into TN.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.